Wanted to put down some feed back.

titanmike

Hi, my name is titanmike.

I was in the beta for TOR, and played for several months at launch. A bit over a month ago I decided to come back.

I wanted to leave some feed back, and get a discussion going.

Once again, I am planning to leave TOR and this time I very likely won't return.

Some of the reasons are the same as the last time I let, others are now.

The first thing I want to touch on, the game is very poorly optimized, (at least I feel that way) and doesn't run very well considering it doesn't look all that great. I am constantly under 40 fps solo and under 30 in warzones.

Even running a SSD, a 1055T at 3.9ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a 7970 core edition I get low frame rates and very long load times.

TOR unleashed helped, but a outside program should not be necessary to get shorter load times.

Next up, travel time. travel time is absolutely horrid. Its even more apparent with a xp boost as you watch the clock tick down whiling only running story missions.

The game has way too many back tracking quests (don't most mmos?) but I think ti should have been handled differently. We have a com, why not make better use of it? This would could down on travel time.

Adding into this, I feel that the game is best sub 30, as the world(s) start getting too large. Lots of wasted space, lots of areas with no real content. This in turn makes for longer travel time as you have to navigate these areas.

I feel that faster mounts (200% speed and maybe higher) would greatly help reduce this problem, as its more and more apparent when you have more than 1 alt.

Some of the best content seems to be in the lower levels, at least to me.

The game is supposed to be all about story, and I like the story lines I have played to 50 (trooper/warrior) and the others are generally good from what I have played.(operative, inquisitor, bounty hunter.)

However, it doesn't take long for the content to get stale quick. Simply because you are forced to go through every planet in in the same order every time. I think adding in more quests could help ease this problem, more quests on each planet, enough so that you would only need to do 1/2 of them or so would make playing alts so much easier.

I also have some good things to say, I think the flash points and other group content is very fun, and I also like the warzones.

The story and voice acting are great.

I am not saying TOR is a bad game, its just not a great game.

Having played many MMO's in my time (everquest, STO, GW2, TOR, WoW, Warhammer, DDO, LOTRO, Conan and more) and currently playing TSW, RIFT and Eve, I feel like TOR should be better, and could be better. But its not.

I love star wars, and I like playing mmos. TOR should have been perfect for me.

For a game so focused on the individual class story lines, I feel like everything else but the class story lines are in need of lots of improvement.

Thanks for reading!

Hmm sometimes i dont see what ppl mean..i personally played alot of mmo's too but i actually find this game the best...

1. i became SW fan AFTER started playing this game.

2. i feel classes are balanced with few minor exceptions

3. End game feels large to me with WZ,OPS, FP, Dailies and OPvP

4. Very cool lvling with stories and all.

5. preety imerssive

And i feel its optimized nicely as i run on high on even worse spec then your's and i dont drop under 50fps even in wz

Edit: also SUB vs F2P is awesomely balanced IMHO.... also f2p can get ton of stuff from GTN which is great with the passes and all...

Also sub is not expensive...putting aside 50 cents or so u can get sub in a month.. rinse and repeat..

also stop smoking and ull get it faster and ull be healthier :PP

Edited by Athrandiel

Hmm sometimes i dont see what ppl mean..i personally played alot of mmo's too but i actually find this game the best...

5. preety imerssive

And i feel its optimized nicely as i run on high on even worse spec then your's and i dont drop under 50fps even in wz

Edit: also SUB vs F2P is awesomely balanced IMHO.... also f2p can get ton of stuff from GTN which is great with the passes and all...

Also sub is not expensive...putting aside 50 cents or so u can get sub in a month.. rinse and repeat..

1) I watched SW growing up. The original 3, then the new 3.

2)I never talked about balance, I talked about story.

3)End game was not the point, I never cited lack of content. I said the content to 50 is very bland for alts.

4) The first time, and second time maybe. Beyond that it gets old fast.

5) I never said anything about immersion.

Thats exactly my point, it works great for you (are you guessing or using the in game fps?) but worse for me on better hardware.

I never commented on sub vs F2P.

I have never smoked.

1) I watched SW growing up. The original 3, then the new 3.

2)I never talked about balance, I talked about story.

3)End game was not the point, I never cited lack of content. I said the content to 50 is very bland for alts.

4) The first time, and second time maybe. Beyond that it gets old fast.

5) I never said anything about immersion.

Thats exactly my point, it works great for you (are you guessing or using the in game fps?) but worse for me on better hardware.

I never commented on sub vs F2P.

I have never smoked.

Then whats the matter... u just said everything is fine...and plsssss do tell which mmo has so awesome replay value...once u hit lvl cap in any mmo its bland oh soooo bland to repeat...

At least swtor has unique stories

Edit: ctrl+shift +f u know what i mean so imo u better check ur drivers and all the tweaks cuz poorly optimized diver settings can make ur game laggy as hell

Edit2: and travel timesss... not so huge..esspecially when every quest gives u direction from speeder to speeder..

only thing i could agree with u that area is unused... so less linear stuff would be great

Edited by Athrandiel

Then whats the matter... u just said everything is fine...and plsssss do tell which mmo has so awesome replay value...once u hit lvl cap in any mmo its bland oh soooo bland to repeat...

At least swtor has unique stories

Edit: ctrl+shift +f u know what i mean so imo u better check ur drivers and all the tweaks cuz poorly optimized diver settings can make ur game laggy as hell

Edit2: and travel timesss... not so huge..esspecially when every quest gives u direction from speeder to speeder..

only thing i could agree with u that area is unused... so less linear stuff would be great

I did not say everything was fine, I had specific complaints. None of those have you even mentioned.

Eve is among the games I count as "always" fun.

Yes, it does have unique stories, I said that in the op.

My drivers are fine, I have no issues in Rfit, Eve, Skyrim, Morrowind or any other number of games. I didn't say the game was laggy, I said I had poor FPS compared with what I was getting.

Travel times are huge, it has nothing to do with going from speeder to speeder. It takes way to long to go from point to point. Even at 120% mount speed, way to much backtracking.

Too much unused space.

Distances between point to point are too large with no filler content in between. Too many quests have you going back and forth over and over.

Why do I have to go back to ever quest giver for every quest? Why not let it finish in the field. Like rift.

The content gets progressively worse as you level, in my opinion.

For a game all about the "story" everything else sure is bland.

Let me sum it up for you.

1) Too much going back and forth

2) Too much open wasted space, not enough filler content. Its just scenery to navigate. Wasted.

3)Mounts are too slow.

4)Content gets way to bland, way to fast. TOR encourages you to play more than one class. Yet every class follows the same planet route, the same quests and the same thing over and over. On both sides.

The only difference is the story line.

I am trying really hard to like this game. These are (some) of my issues.

Hi, my name is titanmike.

The first thing I want to touch on, the game is very poorly optimized, (at least I feel that way) and doesn't run very well considering it doesn't look all that great. I am constantly under 40 fps solo and under 30 in warzones.

Even running a SSD, a 1055T at 3.9ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a 7970 core edition I get low frame rates and very long load times.

TOR unleashed helped, but a outside program should not be necessary to get shorter load times.

Not had this problem, but every game gets critisized for it's optimisation, and for it's graphics. I like the visual look of the game, and while a few people complain about the frame rates it is a small proportion. Like I said I can't complain myself.

Next up, travel time. travel time is absolutely horrid. Its even more apparent with a xp boost as you watch the clock tick down whiling only running story missions.

Most RPG's have this issue, including MMORPG's.

The game has way too many back tracking quests (don't most mmos?) but I think ti should have been handled differently. We have a com, why not make better use of it? This would could down on travel time.

Adding into this, I feel that the game is best sub 30, as the world(s) start getting too large. Lots of wasted space, lots of areas with no real content. This in turn makes for longer travel time as you have to navigate these areas.

I can understand this, but sometimes the Holocom wouldn't the best idea, it's not secure and most mission require some illusion of security, also how could a person send the rewrds via Holocom, I know some missions reward you in field but that always feels wrong to me.

I feel that faster mounts (200% speed and maybe higher) would greatly help reduce this problem, as its more and more apparent when you have more than 1 alt.

You would miss some missions at faster speeds, the ones you stumble across.

Some of the best content seems to be in the lower levels, at least to me.

Depends on your class, Consular gets a lot more interesting after chapter 1.

The game is supposed to be all about story, and I like the story lines I have played to 50 (trooper/warrior) and the others are generally good from what I have played.(operative, inquisitor, bounty hunter.)

However, it doesn't take long for the content to get stale quick. Simply because you are forced to go through every planet in in the same order every time. I think adding in more quests could help ease this problem, more quests on each planet, enough so that you would only need to do 1/2 of them or so would make playing alts so much easier.

Yeah, I agree here, the best you can do is alternate between Republic and Imperial, so you get a slightly different experience.

I also have some good things to say, I think the flash points and other group content is very fun, and I also like the warzones.

The story and voice acting are great.

I am not saying TOR is a bad game, its just not a great game.

I don't entirely agree, I think it is a great game, not as great as it could be, but what game actaully is as good as it could be.

Having played many MMO's in my time (everquest, STO, GW2, TOR, WoW, Warhammer, DDO, LOTRO, Conan and more) and currently playing TSW, RIFT and Eve, I feel like TOR should be better, and could be better. But its not.

I love star wars, and I like playing mmos. TOR should have been perfect for me.

For a game so focused on the individual class story lines, I feel like everything else but the class story lines are in need of lots of improvement.

Thanks for reading!

I think you're comparing this game with others too much, rather than enjoying the game you're playing, by comparing all the time you dilute the fun. Also apart from the Consular and Smuggler stories I have no complaints about the class stories, they are extremely good.

Edited by AlexDougherty

OP most trouble u have is with traveling as far as i can see..and compared to some other mmo's this is a bliss..

skyrim is like 10x more anoying for traveling...

I just dont see nay real complaints..ofc its subjective and i might deffending the game but... imo if thats your only problems i dont see it as a reason to quit.

Cheers

As far as performance and load times that's on your end. There is no way you should have those issues, especially with a SSD.

I have an i7 2600k, 8gigs ram, gtx465 (low-mid range card) and a regular HD and I average 80 fps (60 is the lowest I go during WZs & Ops and it usually spikes back quickly, I've never seen it slow down, it always looks the same smooth awesomeness). My wife just got a new comp with better components and a SSD and she loads even quicker than I do but I've not had any problems with load times. I HIGHLY suggest you stop thinking there is nothing wrong with your PC because something is... a driver or setting or something.

But we are so glad you came here and told us all the (minor) reasons for why you are quitting the game. Geewhiz my morning is fulfilled!

Why is it that each time that new content, or a major update is about to come, a bunch of folks comes here to open our eyes and tell us that the game is apparently not worth the money it costs? And why are these always fellows who apparently will unsub very soon, why would they care? Are they altruistic, selfless good Samaritans on a mission to protect us from ourselves? Or do they get payed by some competitor(s)? It's quite a mystery.

5. preety imerssive

I dont think you even read the OP.

Also I would like to buy some drugs from you. Ill take anything to make this game as good as you claim it to be.

Not had this problem, but every game gets critisized for it's optimisation, and for it's graphics. I like the visual look of the game, and while a few people complain about the frame rates it is a small proportion. Like I said I can't complain myself.

I just feel I should get better performance.

I can understand this, but sometimes the Holocom wouldn't the best idea, it's not secure and most mission require some illusion of security, also how could a person send the rewrds via Holocom, I know some missions reward you in field but that always feels wrong to me.

Several other mmos have field completion, I don't think its a bad idea. Not for every mission, but for some I don't see why it would be such a bad thing.

I doubt it, the mini map displays those huge triangles for missions you can pick up.

Its not the class story I am referring to, its everything else.

Sub 30 the game just seems to feel "right" in terms of world size, quests and content.

OP most trouble u have is with traveling as far as i can see..and compared to some other mmo's this is a bliss..

skyrim is like 10x more anoying for traveling...

You mean the ability to just jump anywhere you already been with no penitently? I would love to see that in TOR with all the back tracking you have to do.

As far as performance and load times that's on your end. There is no way you should have those issues, especially with a SSD.

Load times (even with TOR unleashed) are very long. I just had a refresh back in January. Everything on my end is up to date.

No other issues with Eve, Rift, TSW, Morrowind, Skyrim.

But we are so glad you came here and told us all the (minor) reasons for why you are quitting the game. Geewhiz my morning is fulfilled!

Gee thanks smarty paints, I am not entirely sure where I am going to go from this point. As this is the only SW game out I haven't 100% completed.

Why is it that each time that new content, or a major update is about to come, a bunch of folks comes here to open our eyes and tell us that the game is apparently not worth the money it costs? And why are these always fellows who apparently will unsub very soon, why would they care? Are they altruistic, selfless good Samaritans on a mission to protect us from ourselves? Or do they get payed by some competitor(s)? It's quite a mystery.

I didn't say it wasn't worth the cost, did I?

why would they care?

i want to see the game improved.

selfless good Samaritans on a mission to protect us from ourselves?

I don't care what you do. But I hope you enjoy doing it.

Or do they get payed by some competitor(s)?
I wish.

It's quite a mystery.
No its not. Edited by titanmike

I have the newest (non beta) Amd drivers. 13.1 according to the amd page.

I have the newest drivers for my plextor SSD.

I have the correct drivers for all my other hardware.

Windows 7-X64 is up to date.

Ram, cpu and 7970 oc all are stable, and have been for 4 months now.

TOR was a fresh install about a month ago, MSE is up to date, Malwarebites is up to date, SP-S&D is up to date.

CCcleaner is up to date.

I have the newest (non beta) Amd drivers. 13.1 according to the amd page.

I have the newest drivers for my plextor SSD.

I have the correct drivers for all my other hardware.

Windows 7-X64 is up to date.

Ram, cpu and 7970 oc all are stable, and have been for 4 months now.

TOR was a fresh install about a month ago, MSE is up to date, Malwarebites is up to date, SP-S&D is up to date.

CCcleaner is up to date.

It's got to be something on your end. I've got a similar comp as yours and I run no less than 60fps at the worst of times on Fleet.

Most RPG's have this issue, including MMORPG's.

Yeah, I agree here, the best you can do is alternate between Republic and Imperial, so you get a slightly different experience.

I don't entirely agree, I think it is a great game, not as great as it could be, but what game actaully is as good as it could be.

I think you're comparing this game with others too much, rather than enjoying the game you're playing, by comparing all the time you dilute the fun. Also apart from the Consular and Smuggler stories I have no complaints about the class stories, they are extremely good.

Yeah fps means squat to me al long as my mouse moves me smoothly through the game world I don't car what the numbers are.

I guess for some who have spent so much on there gaming rigs they want to see it being utilized. but remember Bioware is making a game (or trying) that lowend machines can run as well and perhaps that means not having the advanced graphics features the super high end machines need.

I run the game on a NVIDIA GTX470 with game installed on a SSD 12 gigs non ecc ram playing on a 55 inch 1080p TV at 1920x1080 res and I have no fps or lag issues except for the fleet that has always been bad when you zoom into a populated area and the computer suddenly has to render 100 people in a few seconds.

This MMO does amaze me at what it can do. Then again I remember using dial up to play multiplayer DOOM and DESCENT.

Unless and until these games are running on pure fiber networks all the way to your computer and the server is a quantum computer able to react to your decisions in Picoseconds. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

If it is not what you like don't play. These onsey twosy posts of I am unsubbing for x reason have no bearing on the future of the game. However you do I suppose have the right to speak your mind.