Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Forget Guild ships which will never be used create a Team Speak for guilds

danielearley

As you can see I'm not a fan of the Guild ship white elephants, as that is what they are dead space that most will not really use.

If we want to get guilds to grow and prosper, we should enable them to communicate. If there was a built in Team Speak for Guilds this would encourage cooperation and a community spirit.

I know I probably shouldn't of *****ed about Guild Ships but hey ho people like to flame so I should give them a reason :)

As you can see I'm not a fan of the Guild ship white elephants, as that is what they are dead space that most will not really use.

If we want to get guilds to grow and prosper, we should enable them to communicate. If there was a built in Team Speak for Guilds this would encourage cooperation and a community spirit.

I know I probably shouldn't of *****ed about Guild Ships but hey ho people like to flame so I should give them a reason :)

Why would they make a teamspeak when you can literally just use team speak?

*boggled*

Forget Guild ships which will never be used create a Team Speak for guilds

... which would never be used. :rolleyes:

Seperating the voice com from the client is a good thing, as that way a crash of the client will not affect the communication.

Also, I can log in and out and between my chars, as I see fit and all the time maintain my connection to voice com.

Also, I can play on my imperial char or out of guild char and still be in contact to my guild with voice com.

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Why would they make a teamspeak when you can literally just use team speak?

*boggled*

Not everyone has a teamspeak server! Not all Guilds want buy a server on top of there subscription to the game.

Not everyone wants a 3rd party program

boggled (whatever that means)

Edited by danielearley

... which would never be used. :rolleyes:

Seperating the voice com from the client is a good thing, as that way a crash of the client will not affect the communication.

Also, I can log in and out and between my chars, as I see fit and all the time maintain my connection to voice com.

Also, I can play on my imperial char or out of guild char and still be in contact to my guild with voice com.

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

The idea of Guilds is to communicate as part of a guild not as individual group of friends not in a guild (yes TEamspeak mumble vent for this), if your in different faction its not the same guild!

Most people have there alts in the same guild, so a few moments away is not a huge problem while you change alts.

And you are thinking that every guild has teamspeak, they don't!

All I'm suggesting is easy access for your general player, not your hardcore raiding guild.

The idea of Guilds is to communicate as part of a guild not as individual group of friends not in a guild (yes TEamspeak mumble vent for this), if your in different faction its not the same guild!

Most people have there alts in the same guild, so a few moments away is not a huge problem while you change alts.

And you are thinking that every guild has teamspeak, they don't!

All I'm suggesting is easy access for your general player, not your hardcore raiding guild.

As there is no way to have Imp and Rep chars in the same guild, your argument is flawed. I am experiencing that thing with my guild all the time lately. When I log in, I see maybe a handful of players online in the guild. When I however then log into our TS, I see more players and when I ask them to join me on a raid, they can relog. That would be absolutely impossible with only "in guild" communication.

Also, if I wanted to join a raid, that I had done a hundred times before and know inside out, doing it with friends outside the guild... we would still use TS for communication.. I would then be in my own guilds TS and in another tab have the other TS... listening to both and answering to one only. With a client-side voice-com, I would be either in the guild chat or in the op-chat, but not in both, or how would you solve that ?

Next issue: latency.

The server I connect to for the game is located in ireland, while I am in germany. All information is transmitted by cable and obviously all game info needs to go to ireland and back for me to play. No problem with that. The data transmitted does only involve encoded numbers. There are no pictures or audio streams transfered.

At the same time, I got a TS-server, which is located in germany. Most of the traceroute to my TS is not shared with the tranceroute to the game server. Which is pretty much unimportant for most of the route, but pretty important for the last step of it... namely the bandwith in and out of the bioware network center of ireland. Currently they only transmit position data and text messages. With a full TS included, they would also need a nice load of bandwith for transmitting audio streams... which would create an absolute unnecessary burden on the bandwith and latency, which for some players is already bad enough.

As there is no way to have Imp and Rep chars in the same guild, your argument is flawed. I am experiencing that thing with my guild all the time lately. When I log in, I see maybe a handful of players online in the guild. When I however then log into our TS, I see more players and when I ask them to join me on a raid, they can relog. That would be absolutely impossible with only "in guild" communication.

Also, if I wanted to join a raid, that I had done a hundred times before and know inside out, doing it with friends outside the guild... we would still use TS for communication.. I would then be in my own guilds TS and in another tab have the other TS... listening to both and answering to one only. With a client-side voice-com, I would be either in the guild chat or in the op-chat, but not in both, or how would you solve that ?

Next issue: latency.

The server I connect to for the game is located in ireland, while I am in germany. All information is transmitted by cable and obviously all game info needs to go to ireland and back for me to play. No problem with that. The data transmitted does only involve encoded numbers. There are no pictures or audio streams transfered.

At the same time, I got a TS-server, which is located in germany. Most of the traceroute to my TS is not shared with the tranceroute to the game server. Which is pretty much unimportant for most of the route, but pretty important for the last step of it... namely the bandwith in and out of the bioware network center of ireland. Currently they only transmit position data and text messages. With a full TS included, they would also need a nice load of bandwith for transmitting audio streams... which would create an absolute unnecessary burden on the bandwith and latency, which for some players is already bad enough.

Once again this is the way you play, this is not the way everyone plays.

So for you this would not be of any use, but for the average player i believe this would be an amazing tool for communication within a Guild.

Just because something is available does not mean you have to use it. Although I think you would find most smaller Guilds would use this.

While I wouldn't mind an in game voice option, it would make pugs a lot easier than continually giving strangers access to my vent, I absolutely would not want to see guild ships bumped down in priority for it.

If there were no 3rd party voice options my priorities might be different but there are so ships first.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.