[RAGE] Cartel Packs - ENOUGH ALREADY

Anzel

Here's my problem with the, "It's optional don't buy them" crowd. I'm subscriber. I pay actual real life money to play the game. I paid over $100 for the game which people freely download today. I've paid $15/month every single month this game has existed.

I pay this money because I want them to add more stuff to the game. I expect that I'm going to be able to have access to that stuff. But now I don't. Now it's on the Cartel Market. OK so I have to go and pay extra? Nope. You have to pay for these stupid packs over and over and over again hoping to get the new stuff that my money paid for right? NOPE. Now we're going to add yet another stupid greedy layer with "reputation" and "certificates". Where does it end?

You have access to it. You get your free cartel coins every month. You don't have to pay an extra cent if you do not want to. Everything that is purchasable on the Cartel Market can be also sold on the GTN. So buy what you want on the GTN and not off the store. Or use your free coins. If you are going to freely spend the extra money, then what is their incentive to not keep putting stuff on there, knowing you will buy it anyway?

The ONLY exception is the reputation... I think those should be sellable on the GTN.

Edited by jgoldsack

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we're going to add yet another stupid greedy layer with "reputation" and "certificates". Where does it end?

As long as people are spending the money on it, BW would be crazy to stop offering it. I agree that it's wrong for BW to not reward loyal paying players and continue bleeding them for cash, but as long as people are paying the stupidity tax, BW will probably continue.

You have access to it. You get your free cartel coins every month. You don't have to pay an extra cent if you do not want to. Everything that is purchasable on the Cartel Market can be also sold on the GTN. So buy what you want on the GTN and not off the store. Or use your free coins. If you are going to freely spend the extra money, then what is their incentive to not keep putting stuff on there, knowing you will buy it anyway?

The ONLY exception is the reputation... I think those should be sellable on the GTN.

Did you say, "free cartel coins every month"???? Do you get free ones? I've never received any such free Cartel Coins.

Did you say, "free cartel coins every month"???? Do you get free ones? I've never received any such free Cartel Coins.

Oh brother.

You get a free, bonus of Cartel coins every month, if you are a subscriber yes. Does it cost you ANYTHING extra? Nope.

I get 700 a month for being a subscriber with an authenticator. I still pay the same $15 I have paid since Day 1. So yes, they are free.

Edited by jgoldsack

<nerdRage>

Then came the, "Cartel Packs", and let's be honest with each other for a minute here. These are a blatant money grab. On their own, these cross the line into an area of greed that is so transparent even the folks involved in Savings and Loan Associations would blush. Yet for some reason the community finds these, "fun". Even my wife and kids buy them. Heck, I buy them.

We spend hundreds of dollars on Cartel Coins. I don't mind. I don't mind spending money for extra stuff. But come on guys. You are going way way way over the line.

Emphasis added.

Look, I don't mind the Cartel Packs, but you are making the program successful and then complaining about the next logical step of the success (a reason to keep buying them when you have enough 'things'). You can't spend "hundreds of dollars" on Cartel Coins and then get upset that Bioware is implementing new things for you to spend your money on.

You have one voice as a consumer, and it is not one that comes from your mouth, it is one that comes from your wallet. So long as you condone their behavior by purchasing CC, you are part of the problem you are trying to rail against.

Emphasis added.

Look, I don't mind the Cartel Packs, but you are making the program successful and then complaining about the next logical step of the success (a reason to keep buying them when you have enough 'things'). You can't spend "hundreds of dollars" on Cartel Coins and then get upset that Bioware is implementing new things for you to spend your money on.

You have one voice as a consumer, and it is not one that comes from your mouth, it is one that comes from your wallet. So long as you condone their behavior by purchasing CC, you are part of the problem you are trying to rail against.

Yes. I think you understand my concern quite well :D

I agree with the OP, it is getting to the point of going too far, in terms of making subs spend on things. That said, I don't mind spending some in the shop, if it were going to make more individual class and companion stories.

I'm not liking the direction its going...they're spending money on MORE shop things, and other stuff I'm not interested in. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when it comes to wanting more individual class and companion stories. That's what brought me to this game, and keeps me here, not ops or pvp or fps. There are a zillion games with that kind of crap, but only one game with the sort of story that Swtor got us hooked on.

It's like getting hooked on something and having it used up and taken away. I'm feeling indiviual class/companion story withdrawal and want more. I'd pay happily if they were going to use the money for that, but I don't want to pay for freaking recolours and stuff that looks crappy.

I only use my monthly comms. I wont pay anymore money to Bioware other than my 15 bucks a month, because frankly they aren;t using the money wisely and giving people the things we have wanted since day 1. I should be able to earn every single thing in the game without paying real money. PERIOD! I am fed up with developers finding more ways to charge for things in their game when people already purchased the game and pay for it monthly. The current direction of the gaming industry really has me turned off. I don't get excited about new games anymore at all. Season Passes, DLC, Pre-Order, Codes, Online Fee's...etc, etc. Fed up!!! I wont support it with my wallet. People that buy this stuff are the ones making it continue. Stop buying and it will go away.

Now they are implementing a weekly Comms Cap to further stick the knife in. :mad: Way to go Bioware. Limit people who pay 15 bucks a month on how much they can earn.....which will just make people PLAY LESS! Yes, we now pay a monthly fee only to be told we can only earn a certain amount in the game. FANTASTIC!!!

Bioware, get ready for a LOAD Of hatemail.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Yes. I think you understand my concern quite well :D

Indeed - lack of self-control.

What we have here is a societal change that has been happening for decades. One which is highlighted now and again, like with the Nike (or was it Adidas) ads of "Just Do It" (i.e. consequences and other people be damned, if it makes you feel good go ahead and do whatever you want).

We have the societal switch from accepting personal responsibility for one's own actions and decisions to that of a victim-filled society where anything that happens to us is the fault of someone else. Naturally, in a capitalistic society, businesses will exploit those changes in order to be profitable. I don't blame the businesses. I blame the people who cannot exercise personal responsibility and self-control. Ironic that the people who can't do that are the only ones who can change it and naturally blame someone else because they can't.

Take out feature which generates big money? Let me think ... mmm, no.

Did I say somewhere to remove the Cartel Market or Cartel Packs???

No

Did you even read my original post???

No

Look, there are plenty of ways that they can generate money from the Cartel Market. I bet if they listed every single item from every single Cartel Pack at the average price they get from Cartel Packs then people would buy even more.

For instance. Let's say that the Revan's Mask drops on **average** from 1/25 packs. Not that it does or doesn't. Just a "for instance". If they were to sell it outright for 25x the price of the pack then I absolutely GUARANTEE it would sell. Then you have OPTIONS. Imagine that. Options.

1.) Buy the packs.

2.) Buy it with credits

3.) Buy it outright with CCs

End result?

MORE REVENUE

See? Nobody is saying to remove anything. But you really were just looking to make a snarky comment to make yourself look tough. And you did. I was like, "Wow that guy/girl is really tough".

Oh brother.

You get a free, bonus of Cartel coins every month, if you are a subscriber yes. Does it cost you ANYTHING extra? Nope.

I get 700 a month for being a subscriber with an authenticator. I still pay the same $15 I have paid since Day 1. So yes, they are free.

ok,so for 16 bucks a month(welcome to internet taxes) i get 500 coins and bugs that still aint fixed. for 15 bucks i can purchase 1500 coins,still have the same issues and save a buck and get 1000 more coins. whats wrong with this picture?

I completely agree that they should just sell the items people want for a flat fee and take the gambling aspect out of it. As it sits now, there's simply not one chance in hell that I'll spend money on the gambling packs. And anyone that values money should be doing the same.

I completely agree that they should just sell the items people want for a flat fee and take the gambling aspect out of it. As it sits now, there's simply not one chance in hell that I'll spend money on the gambling packs. And anyone that values money should be doing the same.

But would you pay a higher price for the same items? So, if they wanted to have items that are more "rare". For instance, a normal gear set is like 1200 to 1400 coins. Assuming (BIG assumption here) that the gear set was really cool would you pay 10,000 coins? 25,000? 50,000???

My answer. Yes. Yes I would.

Edited by Anzel

ok,so for 16 bucks a month(welcome to internet taxes) i get 500 coins and bugs that still aint fixed. for 15 bucks i can purchase 1500 coins,still have the same issues and save a buck and get 1000 more coins. whats wrong with this picture?

Nothing.

It is simply someone making the most out of their $15/mo fee to Bioware. Some choose to take a sub which gives unlimited access to all the content, some choose to use it to buy coins and unlock only the things they want to use.

If you do Ops and FP and WZ every week, you still end up with the better deal.

But would you pay a higher price for the same items? So, if they wanted to have items that are more "rare". For instance, a normal gear set is like 1200 to 1400 coins. Assuming (BIG assumption here) that the gear set was really cool would you pay 10,000 coins? 25,000? 50,000???

And you are contributing to the exact issue you are railing against. You are complaining that they keep adding stuff to the cartel market so people have to buy them, yet you turn around and still buy them.

You are talking out both sides of your mouth on the issue.

You are the reason WHY they keep doing it, because you WILL keep giving them money for it.

Edited by jgoldsack

Me personally, no. Not because I don't want it, but because I simply can't afford that. It's $40 fo 5500 points, so that would be anywhere from $80 (for 10,000) to $363 (for 50,000). I'm sure a lot of people find that to be pocket change, but I'm certainly not one.

And you are contributing to the exact issue you are railing against. You are complaining that they keep adding stuff to the cartel market so people have to buy them, yet you turn around and still buy them.

You are talking out both sides of your mouth on the issue.

You are the reason WHY they keep doing it, because you WILL keep giving them money for it.

My issue isn't paying extra. Not at all LOL. My issue is that they keep adding layer after layer after layer.

Please read my OP. I'm not being snarky. Seriously. Read what I'm saying. My problem isn't the Cartel Market. My problem is that they keep adding more and more barriers (monetary) between subscribers and content.

Me personally, no. Not because I don't want it, but because I simply can't afford that. It's $40 fo 5500 points, so that would be anywhere from $80 (for 10,000) to $363 (for 50,000). I'm sure a lot of people find that to be pocket change, but I'm certainly not one.

But that's what people already *ARE paying. Or more depending on your "luck".

I get 500+ coins (at NO EXTRA CHARGE) each month with my sub

I also get 100 FREE coins simply for having a security key (you don't have to buy one either) on my account

I also get 100 FREE coins each month for each person I refered to the game who continues to subscribe and play

I also received over 2000 coins AT NO EXTRA CHARGE for my being an active subscriber to the game BEFORE there were even cartel coins in the game.

;)

I've never purchased coins directly from Bioware. I still have a large pile of them unspent.

Edited by Andryah

I get 500+ coins (at NO EXTRA CHARGE) each month with my sub

I also get 100 FREE coins simply for having a security key (you don't have to buy one either) on my account

I also get 100 FREE coins each month for each person I refered to the game who continues to subscribe and play

I also received over 2000 coins AT NO EXTRA CHARGE for my being an active subscriber to the game BEFORE there were even cartel coins in the game.

;)

I've never purchased coins directly from Bioware. I still have a large pile of them unspent.

Oooooooooooooooh. Now I understand. They are INCLUDED. As in they are included in the price you already pay for. In real life money.

Cause when you say, free I start to think that they are just giving them away for free. Like you didn't pay anything.

Oooooooooooooooh. Now I understand. They are INCLUDED. As in they are included in the price you already pay for. In real life money.

Cause when you say, free I start to think that they are just giving them away for free. Like you didn't pay anything.

See now you are simply arguing semantics. You knew EXACTLY what was meant, but you chose to spin it a different way to try and make your point.

I don't pay anything extra for the coins that are freely given to me by Bioware for my subscription. They were not part of the deal when I started paying my subscription, they decided to give them to me at no extra charge (free).

My issue isn't paying extra. Not at all LOL. My issue is that they keep adding layer after layer after layer.

Please read my OP. I'm not being snarky. Seriously. Read what I'm saying. My problem isn't the Cartel Market. My problem is that they keep adding more and more barriers (monetary) between subscribers and content.

Yet by your very actions of continuing to pay extra for coins to buy items off the Cartel market, you are telling Bioware "keep adding whatever you want, and I will keep buying it".

Then you rail on about them adding more cartel exclusive items to the market, as if you cannot figure out why they do that, as you gleefully give them your credit card numbers and buy more coins.

Edited by jgoldsack

See now you are simply arguing semantics. You knew EXACTLY what was meant, but you chose to spin it a different way to try and make your point.

I don't pay anything extra for the coins that are freely given to me by Bioware for my subscription. They were not part of the deal when I started paying my subscription, they decided to give them to me at no extra charge (free).

Yet by your very actions of continuing to pay extra for coins to buy items off the Cartel market, you are telling Bioware "keep adding whatever you want, and I will keep buying it".

Then you rail on about them adding more cartel exclusive items to the market, as if you cannot figure out why they do that, as you gleefully give them your credit card numbers and buy more coins.

You'd think someone who appears to do actuarial work would know this. At this point I don't think the OP is really arguing for the stated opinion, but is merely arguing to argue.

Cartel packs bring in a ton of money so they can actually do stuff with the game.

Deal with it.

Which is great, but it seems they are focusing all their time and effort into providing these cartel experiences to people for more and more money, the frequency of them is ridiculous.

IMO although the game has survived by going F2P overall the game has actually gone downhill, customer service is robotic and poor even though it's droids we communicate with, still see bugs from open beta and other major problems and game optimizations problems still unresolved whilst all the effort is spent on... what other ways can we make even more money.

SWTOR is now EA 2nd biggest cash cow and EA will encourage them even more and i think the overall game experience will decrease as a result.

Every action has a reaction, and this is the result.