Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Solo post-50?

Cidanel

I have very recently hit 50 for the first time in this game. While I currently have a guild that I love to group with for FP/Ops, I frankly have very little interest in pick up groups. That being said, I have crap gear right now and often am the only level 50 online from my guild.

Are there any quests that I can do solo that can help me build beyond the basic tionese gear?

Grind craploads of dailies for your BiS implants, ear, and relics, and buy rank 27 mods off the GTN with the credits you make. Just be aware that you'll be spending a ton of time and money for stuff that will be worthless come 2.0. You could stick with rank 25 mods if you want to spend a little bit less silly amounts.

I have very recently hit 50 for the first time in this game. While I currently have a guild that I love to group with for FP/Ops, I frankly have very little interest in pick up groups. That being said, I have crap gear right now and often am the only level 50 online from my guild.

Are there any quests that I can do solo that can help me build beyond the basic tionese gear?

There are, but i'd suggest you not to work on any upgrades at this point. RotHC comes out in 2 weeks, and all your current gear will become obsolete when this happens. Tionese set is just fine to level till 55.

This is MMO, dude, so you can only /unsub.

There is no other solo content for you, no solo individual pvp rating, so solo pvp on Arenas, no solo only wz queue.

Unsub and search other game which support solo players.

1. Go to pvp terminal and get free pvp gear.

2. Go to pve terminal and spend 99 tionese comms on companion.

3. Wait for expansion (9-14 days away) and grind Makeb to get better gear.

As a solo player the only quick gear you can get fast is pvp gear if you want to do warzones for the next 9-14 days. It would make Makeb easier.

There is no other solo content for you, no solo individual pvp rating, so solo pvp on Arenas, no solo only wz queue.

lol, did you miss the part where I group with guildmates all the time? I am talking about times where we don't have 4 level 50's on at the same time.

I play a healer and am sick of pugs with tanks that can't hold aggro, DPS who attack CC's, etc. I group all the time when I know the people in my group, I just have no interest in grouping with complete strangers.

For everyone else, thanks for the recommendations. Maybe I will work on simply building cash for the next few weeks until new gear comes out.

That's a tough question....

What you need are the the Black Hole comms - and you're limited as to how many of those you can earn solo. Basically the only solo means of obtaining them is the heroic space missions ~ and that's only going to get you a handful each week. There isn't enough time for you to earn enough BH comms to really buy anything with.

Campaign level gear will be for sale through the daily comm venders after 2.0 ~ but the current daily comms will convert at a 4:1 rate. So I wouldn't recommend just stockpiling them.

My suggestion is this..... buy the rakata implants that suit your spec the best. The BH Mark 1 implants are a really sorry upgrade over those in most cases. There is enough time left for you to gather up enough comms to buy 2 of them before early access to RotHC goes live. And you'll rack up a solid cushion of credits in the process.

I would focus on things that will benefit you (and your alts) without gear. Work on Companion affection and finish Chapter 3 of your class story if you haven't. Save your money for the ex-pac

That's a tough question....

What you need are the the Black Hole comms - and you're limited as to how many of those you can earn solo. Basically the only solo means of obtaining them is the heroic space missions ~ and that's only going to get you a handful each week. There isn't enough time for you to earn enough BH comms to really buy anything with.

Campaign level gear will be for sale through the daily comm venders after 2.0 ~ but the current daily comms will convert at a 4:1 rate. So I wouldn't recommend just stockpiling them.

My suggestion is this..... buy the rakata implants that suit your spec the best. The BH Mark 1 implants are a really sorry upgrade over those in most cases. There is enough time left for you to gather up enough comms to buy 2 of them before early access to RotHC goes live. And you'll rack up a solid cushion of credits in the process.

I can definitely get some of them grouped. I usually log in later/stay on later than many of the crew I play with, so I typically only have an hour or two at a time where I am solo, but I know my gear is my weak point right now so I am looking for ways to fill that gap.

I would focus on things that will benefit you (and your alts) without gear. Work on Companion affection and finish Chapter 3 of your class story if you haven't. Save your money for the ex-pac

It seems like this is a pretty constant recommendation I am getting. I am low on affection and haven't finished my class quest, so that might be worth more than shooting for (what will soon be) outdated gear

Those games are called "solo games".

A long time ago people thought solo RPG's were fun, but we really wished we could play them with others. Then some people thought... "With a little bit of tweaking we could make these solo games into multiplayer ones, charge people a subscription, and make oodles of money by giving people what they want!"

A short time ago some marketing whiz-kid thought... "With a little bit of propaganda we could convince people that multiplayer games are bad, go back to making solo games, and then trick the sheep into paying MMO subscriptions for it!" And thus the new era of MMORPG was born.

And we responded with a collective.... "Baaaaaaaaaa"

Those games are called "solo games".

A long time ago people thought solo RPG's were fun, but we really wished we could play them with others. Then some people thought... "With a little bit of tweaking we could make these solo games into multiplayer ones, charge people a subscription, and make oodles of money by giving people what they want!"

A short time ago some marketing whiz-kid thought... "With a little bit of propaganda we could convince people that multiplayer games are bad, go back to making solo games, and then trick the sheep into paying MMO subscriptions for it!" And thus the new era of MMORPG was born.

And we responded with a collective.... "Baaaaaaaaaa"

Here's my perspective, the idea that MMOs are really multiplayer RPGs is somewhat false. I think that in some very fundamental ways, MMOs have more in common with FPS games than RPGs. MMO endgame is really not so much about story than it is about form of "competition", whether it be directly in PvP or in some form of "beating the game" to complete ops, gain money, etc.

And it is the RPG elements that seem to be poo-poo'ed by the hardcore gamer. I have a friend who has played through KotOR and ME2 probably on the order of 20 or more times. And with ME2, never on a difficulty higher than normal. I feel I have more in common with him than with where MMOs are heading. Frankly, if it wasn't for the SWTOR fully voiced RPG leveling game, I would not be here. I admit I strive for a little more difficulty than he does, as I have played ME2 on hardcore, but that's my limit. I have no intention on playing at insanity, and I do die a lot at hardcore even.

The MMO recipe of "grind for gear so you can grind for more gear" is completely disinteresting for me, as is directly competitive play (PvP). And if that wasn't the case, the IP used for it would be much less important than the gameplay polish, which is probably why no one has a lot of hope at dethroning WoW for quite a while, at least until they stumble.

Here's my perspective, the idea that MMOs are really multiplayer RPGs is somewhat false. I think that in some very fundamental ways, MMOs have more in common with FPS games than RPGs. MMO endgame is really not so much about story than it is about form of "competition", whether it be directly in PvP or in some form of "beating the game" to complete ops, gain money, etc.

And it is the RPG elements that seem to be poo-poo'ed by the hardcore gamer. I have a friend who has played through KotOR and ME2 probably on the order of 20 or more times. And with ME2, never on a difficulty higher than normal. I feel I have more in common with him than with where MMOs are heading. Frankly, if it wasn't for the SWTOR fully voiced RPG leveling game, I would not be here. I admit I strive for a little more difficulty than he does, as I have played ME2 on hardcore, but that's my limit. I have no intention on playing at insanity, and I do die a lot at hardcore even.

The MMO recipe of "grind for gear so you can grind for more gear" is completely disinteresting for me, as is directly competitive play (PvP). And if that wasn't the case, the IP used for it would be much less important than the gameplay polish, which is probably why no one has a lot of hope at dethroning WoW for quite a while, at least until they stumble.

That's what MMO's have become, it's not where they started.

They've gone this route because it's much easier and cheaper to make a solo-balanced game than it is to make a group-balanced one.

They've also reduced the levelling part of the game to an afterthought when it originally was the game. Endgame was the thing you did when you did everything else there was to do. Again, way easier and cheaper to make a handful of challenging repeatable missions than to make a challenging game from start to finish. Worlds can be much smaller with much less content in them when you shift the focus to the endgame. Unfortunately though, they've done nothing to enhance or expand the endgame, is still exactly the same thing it was 15 years ago but now there's far less game ahead of it to keep people interested.

They've also reduced the levelling part of the game to an afterthought when it originally was the game. Endgame was the thing you did when you did everything else there was to do. Again, way easier and cheaper to make a handful of challenging repeatable missions than to make a challenging game from start to finish. Worlds can be much smaller with much less content in them when you shift the focus to the endgame. Unfortunately though, they've done nothing to enhance or expand the endgame, is still exactly the same thing it was 15 years ago but now there's far less game ahead of it to keep people interested.

That was very insightful.

I think the fact that people cannot create their own quests for this game is the reason why there's nothing to do. I understand that's not possible. But... when I look up mods for Kotor1 or 2 I find player created quests that add to the game. Which increases the replay. I don't see people creating their own quests in swtor though, unless you're big into RP. I personally don't like RP. Can't stand people who don't speak plain english.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.