The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

help with buying this desktop please

Shadow-cp

i have been offered a desktop im on a very tight budget and would like to know how this computer would do just need it to run smooth doesnt have to be on best graphics just dont want lag

specs are-

amd 3700+

4 gig ram

1.2 tb hard drive

1 gig graphics

thats all the specs i have for now i know nothing about computers i have asked him what core (think its dual but waiting on reply) this is costing £100 and is all i can afford.

any ideas

thanks

Edited by Shadow-cp

U need a lot more than 4 gigs of memory these days, and should use at least 1.5 gig Video/GPU cards. Don't know about the AMD chip, since I stopped buying them a long time ago. But if it's 3.7gightz, then that's the only good thing really.

I would advise u to save up more money and buy a much better Desktop.

U need a lot more than 4 gigs of memory these days, and should use at least 1.5 gig Video/GPU cards. Don't know about the AMD chip, since I stopped buying them a long time ago. But if it's 3.7gightz, then that's the only good thing really.

I would advise u to save up more money and buy a much better Desktop.

While agree with your assessment on RAM - 4GB is not enough these days. I somewhat disagree with your assessment that one "needs" a 1.5GB vid card.

I had a nearly four year old ATI Radeon 4870 1GB graphics card that ran SWTOR on near max settings (only thing I left on low was shadows) and on average I got 45FPS max FPS was 60. I recently acquired a one year old nVidia GTX550Ti 1.5GB card from a friend and on full max settings I average 48FPS max FPS is 61. The rest of the computer is identical (nearly four year old MB, CPU, RAM, and HDD).

This argument boils down to how much each individual cares about graphics details. And no one can tell anyone else what to do. Four years ago I splurged on that ATI card, but I hadn't upgraded since. The only reason I upgraded recently was because my friend/coworker was buying a new card and he sold his old one to me cheap.

Don't buy an AMD 3700+, it's too out of date. For something right now that will run star wars at max quality and inexpensively, get at least 4GB of RAM, an AMD X4 965 and a Radeon 78790. Blam, inexpensive gaming computer that will run anything as of now. That's what I have and it laughs at SWTOR at full quality and 1920x1080.

For advice on buying and building a budget gaming box, check ArsTechnica.com and Tomshardware.com. They both have regularly updated budget (and more expensive) gaming rig builder features. Here are some links to start with. Keep in mind that these may not be the actual boxes you should build for Star Wars, I'm just including them as a starting point for your searching.

ArsTechnica:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/04/ars-bargain-box/

Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pc-gaming-overclock-build-a-pc,review-32638-6.html

Edited by Earley