PVE PT Tank Help

chriscshunter

Where do I go from here?

HP: 26872

Dmg Red: 54.13%

Def: 25.32%

Shield: 52.75

Absorb: 50.00 (58.00% in combat)

What should I remove? What should I increase? I still have 16 61's to replace but I am unsure of what direction to take.

Edited by chriscshunter

can drop 5-8% off your D chance and replace that with shield and absorb. I'd favor shield a bit because you get the 8% absorb from heat screen. Also, what are you using for Augments? Your HP seems higher than most PT's, been out of the loop for a bit but I believe most(mitigation geared) have 22-24k hp with 60 shield and 60 absorb.

Honestly wouldn't worry too much about it at this point with the expansion coming out. All your gear will pretty much be out dated.

Your current setup is scaled heavily towards defense and weak in absorb. So, I would replace some defense with absorb as you replace mods. If you like having a high defense chance for more complete mitigations, that is fine, but realize you are reducing your maximum potential damage mitigation.

I was told about a month ago on these forums that once I hit 50 50, then i should push defense as far as i can, so now I have full defensive augments, and I am by no means endurance stacking. So I should push shield and absorb to 60 then? I don't fully understand why I should care about DPS as a Tank. If my team has very good DPS already, why should I worry about myself? I have no problem holding aggro, but I just want to be to have my numbers in the best place as to fully reduce damage taken, even at the cost of my personal DPS.

Keep in mind also when I stack my heat screen ability 4 times it puts my absorb at 58%, which is constantly where I keep it at in combat. With this in mind do I still need to stack absorb to 60% thus pushing it to 68% in combat?

Edited by chriscshunter

I have full defensive augments, and I am by no means endurance stacking. So I should push shield and absorb to 60 then? I don't fully understand why I should care about DPS as a Tank. If my team has very good DPS already, why should I worry about myself? I have no problem holding aggro, but I just want to be to have my numbers in the best place as to fully reduce damage taken, even at the cost of my personal DPS.

Keep in mind also when I stack my absorb ability 4 times it puts my absorb at 58%, which is constantly where I keep it at in combat. With this in mind do I still need to stack absorb to 60% thus pushing it to 68% in combat?

Any additional dps you can provide without sacrificing your performance as a tank is a good addition to the group. A dps does not simply say "I have enough dps and my group has good dps so I'm fine where I'm at." They continue to improve their numbers if possible. As such, a tank can have the same mindset, with the only difference being the initial requirement of maximum potential in tanking. So, if it's tanking ability vs. dps, take the tanking, but if it's extraneous stat (like End after a certain point) vs. dps, take the dps.

When thinking about absorb % and the effect of heat screen, you need to consider the fact that the heat screen bonus is not affected by the absorption rating curve.. Thus it is more optimal to distribute the points between shield and absorb more equally so as to minimize the effects of diminishing returns. Yes your absorb will consistently jump up above shield with heat screen, but that is okay.

Where do I go from here?

What should I remove? What should I increase? I still have 16 61's to replace but I am unsure of what direction to take.

In my honest opinion here. Get your absorb up to 60% first. Then focus on shield, and defense. DPS as a tank is always good. Provides more threat than anything else. Come 2.0 there's some big changes to shield/absorb.

Where do I go from here?

Shoot for 7 Bulwark Enhancements, 9 Deflecting Mods, 8 Absorption Augments, and 6 Redoubt Augments (all dread guard). This should yield 540 Defense, 591 Shield, 483 Absorption. Based on what I've seen, this should give you around 21.5% Defense, 54% Shield, and 56.5% Absorption. The only way to increase Damage Reduction is with armors, so make sure you're in at least BH level armors, DG if you can afford it.

Don't worry about your dps at all as a tank.

As far as your D chance, 15%-18% is more than enough as a PT. The reasoning is, if you read the abilities on your skill tree, the powertech get all its procs by shielding attacks. Where as say an assassin gets his from dodge/parry/or shielding attacks. As reslt the assassin stack defense to 30 shield to 45(65 with dark ward) and absorb to 60. But, because you gain no benefit from dodging a incoming attack, besides the obvious avoiding it all together, as a PT you get more out of shielding via venting 8 heat every 6 seconds and shielding also has a chance to reset the CD on your rocket punch every 4.5 secs..