The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP I feel super weak and little damage

AdamChattaway

Hello im a lv 46 vanguard in equal lv gear and i find it really hard to pvp. Firstly every other class seems to have burst and do more dps, example snipers 4k shots and juggers 5k smashes, while im there trying to get a poxy 2k crit on high impact bolt.

I've tried both specs for dps and they feel the same in dps, i have 0 burst even when i crit it feels so weak its more like a DOT than a high hit crit, and this just gives the enemy team tons of time to heal or get help and kill me, i get killed 1 on 1 by freaking lv 25 marauders and juggers.

This has really depressed me with the game and pvp as i feel vanguards are pathetic, sure i come top dmg in WZ most of the time but what good is that is trying to kill a guy takes so dam long everything else can just burst us before we get close to killing them?

What am i doing wrong? are vanguard now weak?

I'm not a Vanguard expert and I dont know the Vanguard terms (im empire side) but I can try to help you a little bit.

First of all, you should be dps spec in pvp, the spec on the right side is the way to go (the equivalent of pyrotech for Powertech).

This spec have one of the best burst of the game. You are lvl 46, you should be able to have a solid pvp spec.

The problem might be simple. You might fight experienced players. Right now its double XP so a lot of players are leveling alts.

Also, you must be carefull about the defensive cooldowns the enne,y is using, dont waste your burst on their defensive tools.

Vanguard is all about burst. Your best defensive tool is your burst. there is at least one vanguard in every ranked pvp teams.

Also, are you a keyboard turner? (clicker?) if yes, pvp will be hard as a melee.

One thing you can go to improve your skills is to watch Vanguard pvp videoa on Youtube. Those guys are probably not the best but its a good way to start.

Edited by Philelectric

I'm not a Vanguard expert and I dont know the Vanguard terms (im empire side) but I can try to help you a little bit.

First of all, you should be dps spec in pvp, the spec on the right side is the way to go (the equivalent of pyrotech for Powertech).

This spec have one of the best burst of the game. You are lvl 46, you should be able to have a solid pvp spec.

The problem might be simple. You might fight experienced players. Right now its double XP so a lot of players are leveling alts.

Also, you must be carefull about the defensive cooldowns the enne,y is using, dont waste your burst on their defensive tools.

Vanguard is all about burst. Your best defensive tool is your burst. there is at least one vanguard in every ranked pvp teams.

Also, are you a keyboard turner? (clicker?) if yes, pvp will be hard as a melee.

One thing you can go to improve your skills is to watch Vanguard pvp videoa on Youtube. Those guys are probably not the best but its a good way to start.

How can we be the best bust when our best attack hits for 2k? and a jugger smashes me for 5k? i feel like we have very little dmg indeed, we have 2 dots, dots are useless for burst, high impact bolt that hits for 2k and stock that is also about 2k on a crit, if i get 2 lucky crits on both my main attacks i still do less then what a jugger does in 1 second.

Assault spec makes things nice and easy. Loose the defensive stats, they arn't optimal in pvp due mainly to our focus on high shield rating. Shield doesn't mitigate most damage caused in pvp.

In assault spec, you are aiming for a HiB proc every 6seconds, with a very high crit chance on it. The damage from it is devestating, with your other attacks hitting nicely too! What crit and surge ratings are you at?

I found assault vanguard strong from level 10 and still at 50. If you don't feel like your doing a lot of dps in assault spec, let us know and we will try and work out why :)

Edited by Dynnagon

How can we be the best bust when our best attack hits for 2k? and a jugger smashes me for 5k? i feel like we have very little dmg indeed, we have 2 dots, dots are useless for burst, high impact bolt that hits for 2k and stock that is also about 2k on a crit, if i get 2 lucky crits on both my main attacks i still do less then what a jugger does in 1 second.

Not sure you know what burst means...

Smash has a cooldown, it's not as OP as it seems for single target burst. Good healers know how to survive the smash and heal around it. Smashers are hard because they do great group dmg, not because they burst.

Vanguards can throw 2 stickies, and HIB/IP/SS before they blow up. Add it all together it's a tremendous amount of dmg in a short period of time and difficult for healers to predict. This is hands down the best burst class in the game, period.

We have alot of abilities that can be cast and cast on the run, you're comparing 1 ability with a CD (smash) and are preoccupied with the big numbers. You need to see the bigger picture and realize how much single target dmg you can do in the time it takes for a smasher to cast smash between CD's.

At level 46 I was doing 450k+ dmg in warzones, it sounds like a gear issue with you. Bolster does weird things the higher you get esp when it's harder and very $$ to keep your keep in top shape closer to 50.

Edited by DesmoLegacy

Not sure you know what burst means...

Smash has a cooldown, it's not as OP as it seems for single target burst. Good healers know how to survive the smash and heal around it. Smashers are hard because they do great group dmg, not because they burst.

Vanguards can throw 2 stickies, and HIB/IP/SS before they blow up. Add it all together it's a tremendous amount of dmg in a short period of time and difficult for healers to predict. This is hands down the best burst class in the game, period.

We have alot of abilities that can be cast and cast on the run, you're comparing 1 ability with a CD (smash) and are preoccupied with the big numbers. You need to see the bigger picture and realize how much single target dmg you can do in the time it takes for a smasher to cast smash between CD's.

At level 46 I was doing 450k+ dmg in warzones, it sounds like a gear issue with you. Bolster does weird things the higher you get esp when it's harder and very $$ to keep your keep in top shape closer to 50.

The marauder would jump me smash me, half my health was gone, he would choke me i would break, i would grenade him 2 times by this time i was hearly dead, i would ss and ip him and i was dead, he lost hardly any health.

Not to nit pick here but it sounds like a gear issue. If the marauder is taking half your life then you are seriously under-geared and now it becomes a gear issue and not a class issue.

You get smashed, you can pop a health pack. When he chokes you can either wait it out or pop your CC breaker. Immediately stun him after his choke, (you have 2) line up your 2 bombs and get distance...circle around him with IP to break and quickly HIB.

You have to be just aggressive as he is, sitting there letting him beat you up isn't going to work regardless of your class. Honestly, this looks like a gearing issue...

The only time my mara/sent does "half health" it means the other person has made no effort to better their gear.

Not to nit pick here but it sounds like a gear issue. If the marauder is taking half your life then you are seriously under-geared and now it becomes a gear issue and not a class issue.

You get smashed, you can pop a health pack. When he chokes you can either wait it out or pop your CC breaker. Immediately stun him after his choke, (you have 2) line up your 2 bombs and get distance...circle around him with IP to break and quickly HIB.

You have to be just aggressive as he is, sitting there letting him beat you up isn't going to work regardless of your class. Honestly, this looks like a gearing issue...

The only time my mara/sent does "half health" it means the other person has made no effort to better their gear.

What about bolster? and im in the 40 pvp set with upgraded mods to 48, so how can it be a gear issue?

I'm hardly an expert in any class, let alone Vanguards, but wait until you're geared in the 50 bracket to judge the class.

What is your rotation? I'd ditch Incendiary Round for the most part and rely on Ion Pulse for DoTs to proc' HiB. SS should basically be used on CD. Pepper in Hammer Shots and the couple of ammo management CD's. It's really the easiest DPS spec I've played. Coming from a Mara/Sent that is. But having Grapple, 2 stuns and stealth scan make VGs pretty beast in PvP; aside from the fact they can do top dmg with 4 abilities :cool:

I'm hardly an expert in any class, let alone Vanguards, but wait until you're geared in the 50 bracket to judge the class.

What is your rotation? I'd ditch Incendiary Round for the most part and rely on Ion Pulse for DoTs to proc' HiB. SS should basically be used on CD. Pepper in Hammer Shots and the couple of ammo management CD's. It's really the easiest DPS spec I've played. Coming from a Mara/Sent that is. But having Grapple, 2 stuns and stealth scan make VGs pretty beast in PvP; aside from the fact they can do top dmg with 4 abilities :cool:

This is my rotation and what happens.

#1 Pull

#2 AP Nade

#3 Sticky Nade

#4 IP

#5 HIP

#6 SS

Then i go into ammo regen mode and using my IP and HIP on rotation and proc with some SS, after this ive done about 30% of their health, in this time a sniper, marauder or even dam sorc can seem to nuke me to 0%

This is my rotation and what happens.

#1 Pull

#2 AP Nade

#3 Sticky Nade

#4 IP

#5 HIP

#6 SS

Then i go into ammo regen mode and using my IP and HIP on rotation and proc with some SS, after this ive done about 30% of their health, in this time a sniper, marauder or even dam sorc can seem to nuke me to 0%

You really don't need to pull first.

Stick grenade at 30M followed by Hammershot. If HS procs plasma cell, and it should, follow it with HiB an follow that with more HS till you are in IP range.

Once there, IP to keep the PC proc up and, hopefully, reset HiB if it's still on CD.

Either way, AP and then time your HiB to hit when AP explodes.

Then you can settle into a rotation of IP/SS/AP/HiB. Use HiB whenever it procs and, whenever possible, haveit hitting the same time as AP going off.

Also, don't forget to use your cryo grenade to get a sniper out of cover. (If they aren't entrenched)