Is swtor still a story driven mmo ?

tekhiun

One of the many tag lines linked to this game was "story driven" . One of the main features of the game are the unique quest lines and stories that each class and planets have. However is this still a direction that the game will follow ?. Since we got the CM we got plenty of "historical" cosmetic gear and yet no story related quests I think this has been a grave oversight from the dev team.

I am not arguing that the CM shouldn't exist or that certain items shouldn't be available for cash gamble. But it would have been nice to allow us to get those items via quests and unlock them to another character via legacy unlocks ( just like our new droid companion ^^) .

We could get involved in a story that would reveal some lore about darth nihilus and at the end get the nihilus mask on that character and be able to unlock it to another toons via legacy , ( legacy museum feature ? ) all this while still making those items available on the cash shop/rep vendor via gambling tokens and packs. This could have been done to many of the kotor sets and also the revan set.

The same could also have been done with the new upcoming species, cathar. We could play a quest line that would start on makeb and after helping the cathars across the galaxy we could have it unlocked as an species. Or just buy it from the CM if you do not wish to quest.

Again I am not against the CM , I am not even arguing that we should remove these features from it. But it would have been nice if we got a way of unlocking those features by actually playing a "story driven" mmo.

What do you guys think about this ? bad or good idea ? and will it ever happen ?

Even while I to dislike the way the cartel market is becoming the center of game development, I got to say, that playing the game still invoves the story, but not the cartel market.

Nothing of the cartel market will influence the story aspect of the game. The cartel market opens up a whole lot of possibilities to look good, which is especially valuable to roleplayers (or freaks, who believe, jumping around in dancer clothes on Hoth with a dark aligned-chiss species-Jedi knight is actually roleplaying).

So, yes, SWTOR is still a story driven mmo, with a cartel market that does reek in absurd ammounts of money without really disturbing the story part.

No. There is zero evolution in class stories. Makeb is just generic story for all. And with CM doing so great and making a tons of $$, no need to bother with developing and writing new amazing stories, new armor and color crystal is enough every month!

Hi,

Well in the first place I become TOR follower because it's SW and the first ever proper story driven MMORPG, after BW introduce new CM it's kind a open new visual possibilities but beyond that it really is money grab (Addiction), I'm love TOR but I would like to see BW more focus on story additions and RP improvements rather than present most of the new things on CM for real money.

After all is the sub money not enough, and I have even CE so I already spend lots of money for TOR and now CM, I am no millionaire!.

Thought I am so looking forward to Makeb...

Thank you,

Best regards!.

Edited by sandisrd

It's stopped being a story driven MMO the moment it came out. There hasn't been any story update ever since and the ones we're getting (like once a year maybe) we're required to pay extra for.

So no, it's not a story driven MMO anymore, it's a cash cow now with basic MMO elements.

Edited by Lent_San

So, yes, SWTOR is still a story driven mmo, with a cartel market that does reek in absurd ammounts of money without really disturbing the story part.

Yup and that money helps the devs to make even more epic stories for us. I haven't even been able to see all the current storylines yet.

Edited by Amlici

You mean, like Makeb.... the one you pay extra for?

Come one lets be honest here BW did a huge amount of job to create existing story for all classes and the side missions with all voice action and story in it, so it's really story driven, and no other MMO ever will have even half of story as it is in TOR.

You mean, like Makeb.... the one you pay extra for?

Well they have already said in the making of Makeb that they have been able to use technology that they didn't have before. Even though there is no addition to class quests i think the storyline from 50-55 will be great and am looking forward to it.

Come one lets be honest here BW did a huge amount of job to create existing story for all classes and the side missions with all voice action and story in it, so it's really story driven, and no other MMO ever will have even half of story as it is in TOR.

lotor does...

Hi,

Well in the first place I become TOR follower because it's SW and the first ever proper story driven MMORPG, after BW introduce new CM it's kind a open new visual possibilities but beyond that it really is money grab (Addiction), I'm love TOR but I would like to see BW more focus on story additions and RP improvements, rather than present most of the new things on CM for real money.

After all is the sub money not enough, and I have even CE so I already spend lots of money for TOR and now CM, I am no millionaire!.

Thank you,

Best regards!.

I have also noticed this trend, is a bit disturbing imo. I think that CM is necessary on any mmo today but i don't think it should take precedence over story lines and other core aspects of the game

I agree with that , but will that remain the focus of the game ? I think my suggestions would please a lot of people. Even if it means we dont get as much CM content as we are getting now due to the delay that writing and implement these quests would add it would still please many ppl and address many of the complaints about the game being focused more on the cartel market

Well, when this game came out, they said we would be getting story updates with patches, now they're selling them to us via expansions. No free story update yet and there won't be any in the future.

So my point still stands, this game stopped being "story-driven" when it came out, "story" is now a premium feature that you need to pay extra money for.

Well they have already said in the making of Makeb that they have been able to use technology that they didn't have before. Even though there is no addition to class quests i think the storyline from 50-55 will be great and am looking forward to it.

Yeah, looking forward to five more levels with the exact same story on Rep and Imp side and virtually no new interaction with companions. But at least I got to pay for it, so it must be good.

//end sarcasm

At Heart, I'm a pure non-action Adventure games player - a species already died out outside of Germany (Germany is the last working non-action Adventure games market in the world) - and I began SWTOR in hopes that there would be story - and not so much combat.

I have arrived at Balmorra, and it is filled with enemies. Okay, the story demands that - but I'm getting tired of it.

If combat is the last thing that's left of SWTOR, then I'll quit one day.

In short : Too much combat just becomed tedious & boring to me.

Even worse : Giving me an MMO with merely combat and no in-game riddles is an insult to player's intellectual skills.

Just believe it or not : There ARE players out there who prefer to play with their BRAIN instead of playing with their mouse & keyboard !

And now - flame on me ! Let the storm against me begin !

At Heart, I'm a pure non-action Adventure games player - a species already died out outside of Germany (Germany is the last working non-action Adventure games market in the world) - and I began SWTOR in hopes that there would be story - and not so much combat.

I have arrived at Balmorra, and it is filled with enemies. Okay, the story demands that - but I'm getting tired of it.

If combat is the last thing that's left of SWTOR, then I'll quit one day.

In short : Too much combat just becomed tedious & boring to me.

Even worse : Giving me an MMO with merely combat and no in-game riddles is an insult to player's intellectual skills.

Just believe it or not : There ARE players out there who prefer to play with their BRAIN instead of playing with their mouse & keyboard !

And now - flame on me ! Let the storm against me begin !

Hi,

Well I do understand you from one point of view, but realistically this is SW so there need to be lots of combat and I don't bury your aspect of game, I think the same in TOR need to be more riddles relating to missions to solve and more social things to be part of...

Yeah, looking forward to five more levels with the exact same story on Rep and Imp side and virtually no new interaction with companions. But at least I got to pay for it, so it must be good.

//end sarcasm

More than enough for me atm. I still have to see about half the class storylines in the original content. I have mainly been enjoying the endgame story mode operations atm and still have yet to see any of terror from beyond.

More than enough for me atm. I still have to see about half the class storylines in the original content. I have mainly been enjoying the endgame story mode operations atm and still have yet to see any of terror from beyond.

Welcome to the game then , but some ppl have also been playing this game since pre release and thus have a different perspective from yours, personally i have completed all the endgame content (warstalker cave boss of tfb etc) on the game and got all ACs to 50 and completed all quest lines. Imo adding quest story lines related to historical characters in other to get the cosmetic stuff would be a great way to spend time on my main toon instead of leveling alts just cause i got too tired of end game stuff.