The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Holding aggro (new PT tank)

ipagex

Hello, i've recently reached 50 with my tank and i seem to be having some trouble holding aggro when faced with multiple mobs. I would like some to find out how you guys do it.

Unlike assassin's aoe's, PT aoe's don't look like they do as much damage (threat) and, unless i focus a specific mob and rocket punch it or use yet another single target ability, i will lose aggro, even to lesser geared players.

I am forced to use my taunt in cases where on my sin i could even take it off the bar. It just seems like too big of a difference and i'm curious to find out what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Hello, i've recently reached 50 with my tank and i seem to be having some trouble holding aggro when faced with multiple mobs. I would like some to find out how you guys do it.

Unlike assassin's aoe's, PT aoe's don't look like they do as much damage (threat) and, unless i focus a specific mob and rocket punch it or use yet another single target ability, i will lose aggro, even to lesser geared players.

I am forced to use my taunt in cases where on my sin i could even take it off the bar. It just seems like too big of a difference and i'm curious to find out what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Explosive Dart, Flame Sweep, get as many of the mobs as possible on you, carbonize, strafe a few steps and Death from Above them, line them up and Flamethrower, ...

If necessary grapple the next strongest mob to the elite and use flame thrower, explosive dart, rail shot. Just adapt to the situation, PTs have insane AOE abilities in my opinion.

By the time you lose aggro on a single mob to DPS, it should already be down. If you still lose aggro, tell the DPS to cool it a bit (if its too much trouble for you / the group) and guard him.

I only played PT tanks and I am still new to it, but I almost never use my taunts outside of boss fights, and if I have to, its more like an emergency button.

Hope I didn't write complete nonsense, that's just how I do it.

Explosive Dart, Flame Sweep, get as many of the mobs as possible on you, carbonize, strafe a few steps and Death from Above them, line them up and Flamethrower, ...

If necessary grapple the next strongest mob to the elite and use flame thrower, explosive dart, rail shot. Just adapt to the situation, PTs have insane AOE abilities in my opinion.

By the time you lose aggro on a single mob to DPS, it should already be down. If you still lose aggro, tell the DPS to cool it a bit (if its too much trouble for you / the group) and guard him.

I only played PT tanks and I am still new to it, but I almost never use my taunts outside of boss fights, and if I have to, its more like an emergency button.

Hope I didn't write complete nonsense, that's just how I do it.

^ this absolutely. You hit the nail on the head. Powertechs have perhaps the most AOE tools out of all the tanks - use them.

Also, don't forget - if the mobs are in front of you you can put DFA just behind them (as close as possible to yourself) and still hit them if they're in melee range of you. This is easier with mobs who have large hitboxes, but works on humanoid-sized targets, too.

Learn how to work your Flamethrower's cone, the size of your Explosive Dart explosion, etc. Throw Rocket Punches onto different mobs instead of just repeating them on the same mob (unless you're having trouble holding the strongest mob, in which case focus on it).

as the other guys have said try to use as many aoe attacks as possible. Guard the person that pulls mobs off you most and dont be afraid to tell people to use their aggro drop moves. Good dps and healers will use their aggro drop moves a lot and will los mobs when needed when you are on a taunt cooldown.

Public groups imo tend to contain the worst offenders. Healers that spam heals when a fight opens immediately drawing agro onto themselves (tell healers to wait 5 seconds to build up the agro) I have seen Jugg dps'ers running in tank stance (which in itself is more aggro generating) when they are queued and running as a dpser. Tell people to use the correct stance .Where you can use grapple and rail shot too. Grapple is a nice way of collecting up mobs before flame sweeping it also generates agro. Open with death from above where possible

Edited by R-Tee-Doo-Tee

if no one jumps the gun and they wait for the tank to do their opener, which they should, it should be pretty easy. if the mobs are clumped start with death from above, then rocket into the middle and use your 2 free flame sweeps. that will be a lot of threat right there...

Everyone who's posted pretty much has it right, there is different ways to do it, I tanked on my PT from launch. How I prefer to do is, tab thru the mobs real quick find the strongest target. That is the one you want to make sure you always hold agro on. Now that you've figured that out look how the mobs are arranged. A typical pull will normally have 3-4 mobs pretty close together, then 1-2 mobs off to the side. I find the mob that will put me as close to the middle of the pack as possible. I then leap in, target one of the straggler mobs off to the side and pull him in to the group, at most you have one weak mob you may not have agro on. From here ill then start to use my 2 free flame sweeps, while also switching my target to the strongest mob. Now that you've tagged all the mobs with your flame sweep which built you a small about of agro I use my AoE taunt. At this point if your DPS are playing correctly(killing weak to strong) you should be able to use your single target rotation on the strong mob while they clean up all the weaker mobs. Also if no one went and killed the 1 guy that you couldn't pull in to you aoe range you still have your single target taunt you can throw at him, even an ED or unload while still standing in front of the strongest mob in the pull. Edited by wetslampigduex

• 2 weeks later...

group balancing is always good..tell people to think can be hard for them but if they do what's needed to help you they won't complain because the result will be satisfying.

because of the 2.0 this could be useless to say, but it could be good to invest a million i a 63 barrell( i did it with a hilt on my guardian, which is much more hard to tank with than pt)

Lol try telling a maruader in a PUG to NOT charge in the second the tank does. See how far that gets you.

As long as they're attacking the correct target it shouldn't matter. Where it gets problematic is if the Marauder charges *before* the tank does, or charges the tank's primary target instead of the weaker ones first.