Slicing

thebeernana

So I am a lowbie Cybernetics crafter and too slicing based on a suggestion from a guide.

So far I have found no use for the sliced tech, 1 useful mission schematic, and the lockboxes are netting me less than 20 credits a run.

DId i choose wrong? Do I sell the sliced tech on the GTN or does it actually work for Cyber? Do lock boxes pay off better later?

Should I have taken UT? I feel like slicing isnt actually helping as I am having to buy ingredients to make my cyber recipes.

thanks for any input

tbn

So I am a lowbie Cybernetics crafter and too slicing based on a suggestion from a guide.

So far I have found no use for the sliced tech, 1 useful mission schematic, and the lockboxes are netting me less than 20 credits a run.

DId i choose wrong? Do I sell the sliced tech on the GTN or does it actually work for Cyber? Do lock boxes pay off better later?

Should I have taken UT? I feel like slicing isnt actually helping as I am having to buy ingredients to make my cyber recipes.

thanks for any input

tbn

Slicing is excellent, the discovery missions sell pretty well and some of the cybertech schematics can sell for well as well especially ship parts. Slicing tech parts are used for Augments which also can sell for a great deal especially at higher levels.

Slicing is an odd skill. On the one hand, it is indeed quite useful for missions discoveries and augments, but on the other, it doesn't really replace either of the two skills needed for any given crafting skill (for Cybertech, these are Scavenging and Underworld Trading). I have found that it works best when you have multiple characters in your legacy and each of them has different skills so they can send each other materials and you don't have to pay the exorbitant costs on the GTN.

Before Bioware nerfed the amount of credits returned from the lockboxes (patch 1.2 I believe) Slicing was a credable way of making money while you were levelling. The high level lockboxes when they critted could return upto 20k each, now your lucky if you get 5k.

Nowadays the only profit to be made from these is selling the missions (Underworld Trading and Diplomacy do well, due to the Mandalorian Iron and Radioactive Paste) and creating high level augments (you can sell these between 60-100k each depending on the server).

Obviously when patch 2.0 comes out all bets are off!!