The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Computer Help...

Khenti

Not sure, but i believe something changed in my PC or in the game files and I can't determine what it is...

My PC is a little on the older side, but last week game played great...this week VERY laggy. Everything loads VERY slow.

I checked my in-game graphics settings...I have it set to custom. The only thing I have turned off is Shadows and I have number of players set to low.

Here is some basic info...

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.5GHz

4 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

Not really having issues with other games.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated....

1. Any Windows updates during this period (Vista SP3 on initial launch killed off a lot of programs)

2. Use something like burnintest (free 30 day trial) it will test your hardware

3. Have you set the performance cache file to auto

4. c:/windows/prefetch delete all content inside this folder (this is a cache section of what programs have ran, the more the machine remembers the more the machine slows down)

5. Check for virus and spyware which maybe clogging the system (dont use avg its a chocolate fireguard) free checker that dont require installation Stinger if you have anything nasty that will find and remove for you but recomend using something like McAfee, Norton, Kepersky which are designed for deep level scans.

6. Check running temps of the system, and used compressed air to remove any dirt from cooling fans.

1. Any Windows updates during this period (Vista SP3 on initial launch killed off a lot of programs)

4. c:/windows/prefetch delete all content inside this folder (this is a cache section of what programs have ran, the more the machine remembers the more the machine slows down)

5. Check for virus and spyware which maybe clogging the system (dont use avg its a chocolate fireguard) free checker that dont require installation Stinger if you have anything nasty that will find and remove for you but recomend using something like McAfee, Norton, Kepersky which are designed for deep level scans.

6. Check running temps of the system, and used compressed air to remove any dirt from cooling fans.

Thanks!

I'll try these when i get home...

So its safe to delete everything in the Prefetch folder? I'm kind of having the same problem too just today its all slowing down just for Swtor mostly, and causing windows slow time etc. Been trying to get this problem fixed as well, so that prefetch folder only contains files of how something fast loaded?

Ran BurnIn....passed

No virsues found...

Temps ok...

prefetch folder only had 29MB worth of stuff in it...

Anything else I can try?

Edited by Khenti

• 2 weeks later...

You can check your powersettings in windows control panel and see if it are set to high - if it isn´t - it will allow your

cpu to lower it´s frequency and cause your game to laag.

>>>> But be aware this will allso cause your CPU temp to raise <<<<<<