which tree is better for pvp sentinel ?

bartyjb

Some say Combat as its the best Burst tree and has nothing that can be cleansed in Ranked. Others say Watchman as its survivablity (especially in PUG PvP) is the best with DOT so if you get knocked back you can still be hurting them. And then others say Focus, with its awesome Force Sweep numbers that can be pulled. But its a bit of a one trick pony.

Like Ryat said, I'm finding advice from a crowd of people representing each tree if that makes sense. I've heard plus and minuses to both and sought the same info you're looking for for a few weeks before rolling my Sent. Well, long story short, I ended up not finding the answer I was looking for. I just started looking at the trees, and picked the one I felt most interesting.

Focus? Looks boring so I didn't go there. Combat seems to be burst and nothing else which is great until you get more than 1. Watchman seemed to fit my general pvp style more than the other two. More survivability, self heals, not as much burst which is fine. I'd rather sacrifice a bit a burst and be harder to kill, so I went Wtachman, loving it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with this type of question is it all comes down to which is best for you.

When you ask which is better, what you are really asking is which tree/spec combo can I hit the hardest with? Which one will make me so Ub3r that all shall bow before me in fear.

There is no true answer for that for Sentinel specs.

Because they all have their pluses and minuses. As you discovered. Watchman's can be cleansed, but they can also start a burn on someone and kill them even if they get away. Combat can hit a crap ton very quickly, but every PvPer worth anything knows that, and has defensive techniques and cooldowns that can mitigate that. So you have to pick your spot on when to really hit em. Focus sents are very effective 'smash' monkeys in their own right. And are absolutely stellar against multiple targets.. but as was stated, are a bit of a one trick pony.

Simply put, there is no way to get a diffinitive answer to this question. But, you just need to figure out which works best for you in PvP. And the only real way to find that out is work with em, until you're happy.

• 1 month later...

Since you are on the forums u r a subscriber. Get the instant respec ability with your monthly cartel coins and give them all a try. These three classes approach different styles that appear to lesser degree in other classes so spending the time to give them a try only helps. Some people will change them on the fly depending on encounter. Only seems like rotation hell to me.

Since 2.0 ranged evasion really seems to hurt average combat spec because it is no longer jump into a group of healers and kill one start on second. And snipers/bouncing rabbits chew through your lower damage abilities to slow them down without building the rotation and you dont get the time on target to build the overall dps and worse these folks are not easy kills under 10' especially if more than 2 together. (really good players can read more, execute tricky rotations under demanding play and counter more effectively but still loose overal dps over time compared to pre 2.0).

I am now trying watchman with as good of results as combat with very little time. More forgiving with rotations and built in heals buy time so that even low damage builds to better numbers. If I keep running into groups of ranged setting up in packs of 3-4 an dominating an area. I think focus may be the trick depending on if the AOE interrupts their group synergy and splits them up enough, one chore at a time.

I am mid level at best in stats, because I am working on target choice and execution of rotations plus staying on target. I know I am missing medals based on my choice of combat location and the node by a matter of feet plus other simple tricks. I do know North South East West on maps and think grass and snow should only be used in reference to illegal substances (but off topic). I just hope my advice being more middle of the pack provides a flexible perspective.

Good luck

watchman isnt even viable right now and is much worse than nerfect pt pyro, along with just about every other dps class/spec in the game. id run with a vengeance jugg before i would a watchman sent right now. unplayable if looking for power level in specs and not "fun factor" (as many, many sent/maras prefer playing this spec in terms of enjoyment)

combat is good if you want to tunnel a single healer or single target during an entire warzone and make their life difficult and is good in huttball for both offense and defense. like watchman though, there are multiple other classes/specs that do what it does as good if not better.

focus is unarguably and undoubtedly the best pvp spec right now. and it is not even close...as in its at least twice as good as combat and xxx times as good as watchman. its the 2nd best (arguably the best) dps class/spec in the game right now only 2nd to lethality snipers.

there are loads of focus/rage knights/warriors in warzones these days and over 90% of them are terrible players having no clue how the spec works and people still consider it op so...imagine all the clutter of QQ if even half of them had a clue what they were doing. the spec is even better than what all kids that cry about it think it is.

...Play whichever spec you enjoy playing. Unless you're doing rateds, they're all viable and can all dominate a WZ. If other players are bad and can't play Watchman or Combat properly, that's their loss.