What can I expect on a PVP Server?

tryynity

I just rolled up a character on a PVP Server for the first time (forget the name), and I was wondering what to expect.

I kind of had the expectation that I would be about my business, saving the galaxy and all, and then come across some Imps (Im Republic) and have to fight them (or run) . I am lvl 13 & on Corusant and so far I have not seen this so I am guessing that maybe this is not what happens.

:o

I just rolled up a character on a PVP Server for the first time (forget the name), and I was wondering what to expect.

I kind of had the expectation that I would be about my business, saving the galaxy and all, and then come across some Imps (Im Republic) and have to fight them (or run) . I am lvl 13 & on Corusant and so far I have not seen this so I am guessing that maybe this is not what happens.

Well Tython and Cor are only accessible by Republic players so you wont see any PvP there

Once you move on it will mostly be the same but random Empire players that you come across may jump you or camp places to kill republics going by.

Thanks - I was thinking that might be the case but wasnt sure.

I am a little apprehensive about the prospect of being attacked by real people so I am a little jumpy but I kind of like that added edge of reality (at least until I feel bullied LOL) it reminds me of the days I played Permadeth on another MMO

Thanks - I was thinking that might be the case but wasnt sure.

I am a little apprehensive about the prospect of being attacked by real people so I am a little jumpy but I kind of like that added edge of reality (at least until I feel bullied LOL) it reminds me of the days I played Permadeth on another MMO

Just gives you more reason to team up with others to quest

If you are leveling, you can expect to be ganked by a 50 right beside a spawn point. Rinse and repeat until you figure out how to break the loop.

You can also expect no real legitimate open world PvP.

Edited by rbkrbk

As already noted, you haven't reached one of the mixed-faction planets.

The primary planets where factions mix regularly are:

1. Tatooine
  2. Alderaan
  3. Hoth
  4. Belsavis
  5. Voss

On these planets there exists large sections where the quests for Republic and Empire factions co-exist. In most cases, the two factions are at opposing "ends" of the maps and gradually quest closer and closer to each other, so that it is the higher level characters on the planet that tend to interact.

Other planets have the possibility of mixing, but due to some reason, the mixing is rare:

1. Nar Shaddaa: The mixed areas are only in the bonus area, which is 4-6 levels higher than the standard quest series. Even then, the mixed area is fairly small.
  2. Quesh: The two quest series are isolated, but it is possible for players to seek out the other faction.
  3. Corellia: Quest area are mixed, but populations on the planet are low enough that its rare to see a member of the opposing faction.

Additionally, all of the daily areas (Ilum, Black Hole, Belsavis/Section X) have a large degree of crossover and PvP encounters are pretty common.

Exactly what to expect when encountering a player of the other faction is a little less certain. When another player encounters you, you can expect any of the following:

1. A sudden --perhaps surprise-- attack.
  2. A bizaare stalking maneuver as they try to decide if its worth attacking you.
  3. A calm stand off as they decide whether you're about to attack them.
  4. Complete indifference

In truth, I think the last one is the most common while the second might be the least common. In most cases, especially at the lower level, people simply aren't that interested in engaging in combat while running quests. If they kill you, they figure you're just going to revive and stalk them, possibly killing them when you have the opportunity. Since there's nothing to gain, they will often leave you alone if you don't antagonize them. This is especially true if one of you is a significantly higher level than the other.

In my experience (Sanctum of the Exalted -> Jung Ma) the incidence of high-level ganking (ie: some Lvl 50 hunting lowbies in Tatooine) is relatively rare. I've leveled a dozen or so characters through Tatooine and only ran into murderous high-levels twice. Some servers might see more of this, but I've never found it to be all that annoying. I think I've only had to deal with repeat-killing (ie: A string of more than 2 kills in a row) once, and that was solved by announcing it to General Chat and having a couple people show up and put the griefers in their place. Additionally, that was Voss, which is probably the most dangerous planet, as it comes late enough that some players are just reaching Level 50 and are itching to try out their new PvP gear.

When I first started playing, I had avoided PvP servers. After giving them a try, I found them to be more tame than I expected. In the end, I sort of enjoy the rare interaction with the other faction. Plus, the Warzones tend to see slightly higher quality players overall.

Malastare has it pretty much 100% right. Even down to the prevalence of OW PVP. On most of my characters I don't run across a republic character until Alderaan and at that point some people will be eager to kill someone and you may be engaged a few times.

Hoth has one small area where the quests are in exactly the same place and this is really where I tend to see most of the PVP while levelling. Beyond that its pretty quiet overall. Some quests in the same location on Voss aswell but as mentioned the vast majority of the time people will just ignore you.

I am hoping that the "High LVL ganking" wont be too much of an issue however as in the real world there are those who need to do such things in that case Ill take the option to call in for reinforcements and if that fails my toys and go back home to my RP server.

I guess I should also try the PVP daily thingy - been a bit cautious of that too. Once I settle on a guild Ill get more help with that then.

I'm on an Aussie/NZ server - I didnt notice the name but there are only 3 - Dalborra, Gav Daragon, & ....

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.

Edited by tryynity

I would just roll on a pve server if you don't have a lot of time. I don't always have a lot of time and I need to get this done asp regardless if it's dailies or leveling so having some random high lvl ganking is not what I had in mind of world pvp. Thus, I don't roll on pvp servers any more. Besides, based on what I seen in wow servers become one sided dominate eventually.

im an AUSSIE aswell and your better off playing on the Bastion if you want PVP

the AUSSIE servers are basically dead and ping really isnt an issue

personally i prefer PVE, i started off on a PVP server but when i reached tatooine i kept getting ganked big time by level 50s

If you are leveling, you can expect to be ganked by a 50 right beside a spawn point. Rinse and repeat until you figure out how to break the loop.

You can also expect no real legitimate open world PvP.

This was sadly disappointing to me. I rolled an Agent on Prophecy of the Five and was expecting to be attacked non-stop as soon as I emerged on Hutta, was anxiously panning around to see other players conning enemy to me and...nothing. I figured everyone would be flagged as enemy but this does not appear to be the case until later on I guess.

I'll keep levelling up there but so far the lack of carnage is unsettling.

:(

This was sadly disappointing to me. I rolled an Agent on Prophecy of the Five and was expecting to be attacked non-stop as soon as I emerged on Hutta, was anxiously panning around to see other players conning enemy to me and...nothing. I figured everyone would be flagged as enemy but this does not appear to be the case until later on I guess.

I'll keep levelling up there but so far the lack of carnage is unsettling.

:(

Like the responses to the OP who mentioned Coruscant, Hutta is likewise a starting planet, thus, you will have no republic players there. Ditto for Dromund Kaas.

That's because you're on a begginer world. They let you get your feet wet a bit and learn the game before they shove you out into the nasty harsh of world pvp. I'm sure once you hit atleast Hoth you'll be ganked, or ganking without mercy soon enough. Enjoy lol.