The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Account based friends list

Randorn

Is it just me or does anyone else wish the friends list was account based instead of character based? so sick of writing my friends names down for every one of my 16 characters :)

I just add them to friends list, and add a note to keep track of friends' alts. It isn't that hard. You just need a little patience. Besides, if they are really your friends, then they are worth the effort.

A system that broadcasts our account names to strangers (like World of Warcraft introduced, and hardly anyone used) would be stupid, as half of our account security is having an account name no one else knows! I can't imagine EAware would be keen on introducing a system for which you can create a unique user-name for your account, as it would be a lot more work than their current "one name to rule all EA accounts!" policy.

I would suggest that EAware be left to work on things that actually matter, and you focus on the work you create in making new friends.

Actually, a working friends list is a thing that matters in a game. Furthermore, there is no need to broadcast account names as you say; keeping track of your friend's alts does not require that. Here's how it works:

1) You add a character to your friends list; let's say the character name is Bubba

2) That friend logs off his Bubba character and loads another one named Zanetti

3) You fire up your FL and see this entry: Zanetti (Bubba)

You don't know that person's account name and yet you can easily distinguish which character they're currently playing and, more importantly, the original character you became friends with.

This is easily implemented and, IMO, should have been available from the start. Same goes for the account-wide ignore list. If I'm ignoring one character of an abusive person, it stands to reason I'll actually want to ignore the person behind all characters on that account.

There are situations that some people may not want all their characters known by everyone that puts them on a friends list. People don't have to ask permission to put your name on their list.

I don't mind my friends having all my characters but I do mind people who just friend me without asking to have all my character.

So I prefer the way it is right now since anyone can add your name to their friends list whether you want them to or not.

Only names I add I would like to see them across all my other toons, I could still have secret toons if I wanted, it would just let me know those friends are online, very simple. and very helpful and you still have privacy if you like.. :) No blanket add one friend and it auto adds all thier toons, that I would not like. :)

i am not talking about friends I make on Swtor most of those are in my guild and any i meet along the way as a character stay with that character. that said I play a lot with my real life friends who all have up to 12 characters each so i have four R/L friends and so that's me imputing 48 characters in to each of my 16 characters friends lists it gets tedious. that's why my original idea is an account based list that stores each friendly toon once and can be referenced by each of your own characters, the benefit would be less useless data stored on the servers as each account would have one friends list database than upwards of 12.

I never mentioned account names or any of that stuff and my real life friends want me to know there on cause they are waiting to play with me.

Edited by Randorn
spelling mistakes

You can have an accountwide friends list without knowing the other player's every character.

If I add Bubba as a friend I want him to show up as a friend on all my chars.

That doesn't mean I have to have all of Bubba's chars as friends or even know about them.

It's up to Bubba to see me on his friends list when he's on other chars and send me a whisper "hey, this is Bubba, add me" IF that's what he wants.

Same thing and even more important with ignore.

It says on the loading screen that group finder will never make you join a group with a person you have on ignore, well... that only makes sense if he shows up on ALL my ignore lists regardless of which char I'm on.