The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is a Powertech's role as a tank? Read on...

Draegaar

I want a pure, powerful, threat magnet. I've heard so many players say Assassins are the best tanks in the game. I've heard players say the same thing about Juggernauts. I haven't heard the same said about Powertechs. I want a bad *** tank (with Heavy Armor) that can dish out serious damage, and serious threat. I want absolute control over the mobs! I'm only referring to pve pve pve, so please- no comments about pvp- this is only for pve tanking. Is the Powertech the class for me? I have a 44 Assassin tank, so I'm pretty experienced with that class' tanking style. Thanks for your input in advance!

All 3 tanks are Viable. Play what you like.

Assassin gets the edge in some boss fights because of a higher passive elemental/internal resistance and some nifty cool downs, but they are damage-spikey as all hell if not played well.

Powertechs are face roll tanks (my main class btw) Damn near a completely passive tank. Usually don't have to worry about cool down rotation or anything. I like this as it allows me to see what is going on, and control the field better to mitigate any DERP that are occurring. ( Gives me more time to see someone screwing up and yell at them in vent :D )

Juggs are good solid tanks too, hurt a bit on threat generation, but meh nothing major.

All 3 tank classes are solid and viable for ANY content when properly geared. If some tank class looks to be sucking, it's the person playing it and not the class.

Edited by Uggliey

I want a pure, powerful, threat magnet. I've heard so many players say Assassins are the best tanks in the game. I've heard players say the same thing about Juggernauts. I haven't heard the same said about Powertechs. I want a bad *** tank (with Heavy Armor) that can dish out serious damage, and serious threat. I want absolute control over the mobs! I'm only referring to pve pve pve, so please- no comments about pvp- this is only for pve tanking. Is the Powertech the class for me? I have a 44 Assassin tank, so I'm pretty experienced with that class' tanking style. Thanks for your input in advance!

Powertechs are fine as pve tanks, absolutely fine. PvP is a different story but will hopefully be remedied in 2.0

But if PvE is your sole focus, they are just great, my favorite tank in fact as you don't have a bazillion reactive defensive cooldowns to worry about, meaning you can focus more easily on other tanking aspects like positioning and general awareness.

2.0 will make our PvE tanking a little better as well with the +25% absorb from heat blast, 30% reduced hit chance for bosses through oil slick (up from 20%) the new 20% self heal from shoulder cannon and the reworked kolto overload (okey...to be determined if that one is actually an improvement), though we loose 6% shield chance in our tree.

Edited by LordExozone