The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Going from subscribed to Preferred?

Gellyh

Hey there! I've been playing SWTOR for over a year now, but I think now it's time I switch over to preferred status due to several reasons. However, I was wondering what I will lose and no longer have access to if I do switch to preferred status. I tried looking for it, but there was no specific thread.

For instance, I've got more than 350k credits. If I switch to preferred status, will the amount of my credits reduce to 350k as per the rules or will I still have access to all of my money and my cargo holds, etc.?

Please let me know! Thanks a lot!

Hey there! I've been playing SWTOR for over a year now, but I think now it's time I switch over to preferred status due to several reasons. However, I was wondering what I will lose and no longer have access to if I do switch to preferred status. I tried looking for it, but there was no specific thread.

For instance, I've got more than 350k credits. If I switch to preferred status, will the amount of my credits reduce to 350k as per the rules or will I still have access to all of my money and my cargo holds, etc.?

Please let me know! Thanks a lot!

Take a look here for a comparison between the Subscription, Preferred and Free-to-Play features.

Some things to note:

• If you have more than 6 characters, they will be locked until you unlock them by purchasing a "character unlock".
  • Any *additional* Cargo Bay or Inventory slots you purchased as a Subscriber will remain unlocked when you go Preferred.
  • Credits over 350K will be stored in "escrow" and there will be an indication of how much is in "escrow". This means that you will be limited to a maximum of 350K "available" credits. Anything you gain that goes over 350K goes into escrow. For a practical example: you have 1 million credits and go preferred; you will have access to 350K and 650K will be stored in escrow; you then spend 15K and now have 335K credits available and 650K in escrow; you then earn 25K credits and you will now have 350K available and 660K in escrow. When you resubscribe you will again have access to the credits in escrow.
  • Any artifact (purple) gear/mods you currently have equipped you can use. Any new artifact (purple) gear/mods you acquire will only be equipable once you purchase the Artifact Gear unlock (on the character or account).
  • You will lose access to all character customizations like hide head slot, match to chest, display titles, display legacy titles. Unless you buy the unlocks.
  • You will lose access to companion customizations (unless you buy the unlock).

I would suggest that before you go Preferred that you buy any unlocks you can from the GTN using your ingame credits (try and get the (Account) unlocks). Especially when you consider that any credits you have over 350K will be "unusable", might as well spend them before you go Preferred. ;)

look at the cost over the next 3 months of Buying those Unlocks ..since going prefered you lose your free cartel coins you would get staying a sub...

Look at other things you will lose and currently enjoy and the cost in cartel coins to purchase those abilities again Vs just paying a sub ..

The sub IMHO is the cheaper way to go ... and a 6 month sub which i pay is positively the best deal since you basically get a free month when you do the math over a month to month basis. I debated going prefered as well since i don't do a whole lot of flashpoints and space missions..but keeping the sub was the better deal i found. If its a cash flow issue and you really cannot afford the sub right now then that would be more then understandable.

[*]Credits over 350K will be stored in "escrow" and there will be an indication of how much is in "escrow". This means that you will be limited to a maximum of 350K "available" credits. Anything you gain that goes over 350K goes into escrow. For a practical example: you have 1 million credits and go preferred; you will have access to 350K and 650K will be stored in escrow; you then spend 15K and now have 335K credits available and 650K in escrow; you then earn 25K credits and you will now have 350K available and 660K in escrow. When you resubscribe you will again have access to the credits in escrow.

I would not rely on this feature seeing how my gf lost a few million credits going preferred and re-subbing later.

OP, I too am making preparations to go preferred ever since I've cancelled my sub. Bought some account-wide unlock packs with my in-game credits. Still not sure about the Section X and HK-51 unlocks. As far as my surplus credits are concerned, my initial idea was to use a guildie as my personal bank. Another option is to make a guild, park some alts in it and use that guild's bank to store surplus credits.

My biggest concern are the characters. I'm currently using 10/12 characters available on my home server but I have no clue which characters will get locked. Opened up an in-game ticket asking them to clarify the character lock and will share their answer once I get it.

The sub IMHO is the cheaper way to go ...

I don't see how paying 13€ each month is cheaper than buying unlocks with in-game credits.

Edited by slafko

[quote=slafko;5883046

I don't see how paying 13€ each month is cheaper than buying unlocks with in-game credits.

because i don't have to buy unlocks at all and i get currently 600 cartel coins a month from BW just for having my sub that if i did want to buy something i can and not have to part with a dime of my own money to do it if i don't want to because aside from a few things there isn't really anything i want from the Cartel market because my sub doesn't restrict me anyways so no need to buy unlocks.

I have about 3000 cartel coins in my account that i haven't had to pay for and another 600 coming in a few weeks that i also wont pay for and aside from unlocking a speeder at level 10 with my legacy and opening up extra inventory slots and buying the odd Xp boost ..i haven't needed to spend a dime outside my sub for anything in the cartel market.

That's the value for me..I know in game credits can be used..but since my game time is limited by my job i don't have the time to grind 10's of thousands of credits and use my free cartel cons for the unlocks instead.

its all relative to the person's position in the end..for me a sub is just worth it for the money vs the time i do get to play and enjoyment i get..

and obviously you also pay a sub or you wouldn't be able to be using the forums so you must find value in it as well.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

Ah, your starting premise is that a preferred status player needs to spend his RL money on Cartel Coins.

That's a flawed premise right there.

As a former subscriber, I have a lot of unused CC credits. Unused becase I didn't buy scamboxes. In my time as a subscriber, which is over a year now, I have accumulated millions of in-game credits. Those were used to buy several account unlocks I find to be crucial, several character unlocks and a few operations passes. No RL money *or* Cartel Coins spent on the unlocks. How is that more expensive than paying a subscription? I just don't see it.

BTW, what do you have to unlock as a subscriber? :confused:

Edited by slafko