The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cartel Coins are too expensive!

Gspol

The point is that all of these kinds of things were either included in mmos free to subscribers, or could be earned in game either as a random drop off some boss, or as possible loot from lock boxes that subscribers could open for free, while F2P'ers had to buy keys.

LOTRO, and DCUO have by far the best market systems today. Neither of them appear greedy to their customers.

The perception they give here is pure greed, and subscribers get the worst end of the deal. Not only do they have to pay to sub, they have to spend even more to get things that would normally be included in a subscription price.

If they really wanted to make money off the cartel market, they would lower prices. They would sell even more items, and not make people feel like they're being milked. It's not like there's a limited supply, everything is already made, and is available. You can make more money by selling something with an unlimited supply for $7 than for $15. If you make people feel like they're getting a deal, then you get both a positive perception, and profit.

As much as some of you don't want to believe it, the population is once again dying. EA has to change their ways, and stop running things into the ground for a short term windfall. They'd be better served by investing in the long term growth of this game by cultivating a much broader group of people that are willing to pay smaller prices, and earn some good will along the way.

They're taking the joy of playing a mmo away.

I can't comprehend those people who spend $200 a month on a video game. Their priorities are out of whack, and so are their brains.

Which stuff should be included in a subscription price that we have to spend even more on are you talking about? The cosmetic gear, or the cosmetic pets, or maybe the cosmetic mounts?

If I can make an analogy, the Cartel Market as a grocery store (because I work in grocery). Everybody who wants be there, can be there. You can go somewhere else if you don't like what they got. Rarely can you bargain, but you can definitely return something if you don't like whatever it is. So far, so good. Here's where it gets wonky. Instead of being allowed to browse the isle (lists) and see what's what and possibly make a a knee jerk purchase or many knee jerk purchases you get a box. You don't know what groceries you got in the box. You can sell the groceries individually once you open the box. But you can't know what's in the box from looking at it. There are staple items in the market, that have been there for however long and stock changes from time to time because you got to keep the market from being completely stale.

I understand the fairness in keeping it random. What I don't understand is that, *that* model doesn't work when you are purchasing directly for yourself. Maybe out in the world of loot drops and flashpoints and operations, random fairness is perfectly okay by me. If I am allowed to purchase items that I see throughout SWTOR directly from a vendor, I 'm all for that. If am given a box with no idea what is in it, when I am looking for a specific item or items granted by purchasing the box that random setting sets off an addiction trigger because I *want* those items specifically. It is dangerous to keep it random when you are purchasing directly for yourself because I am not getting what I want until there is a real world problem. There is a very real danger of having an addiction trigger triggered when the power of direct item sale is so much easier and safer than random box when purchasing for yourself.

The big issue is price. Grocery stores drop prices on certain items all the time and varies week to week. Wednesday to the following Tuesday with more specials on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Cartel Market doesn't do that. It doesn't even come close to anything of a sale price except when items are being discontinued and that's only for a week or two at most. Okay, discontinued items bye bye. New items come in. Are they a good price? Are worth the investment? That's for "you" to decide. Are you going to purchase the item, then sell it or destroy it or give it to a companion? If anything, I think a purchase on the cartel market is an investment in time. You are purchasing an item(s), you can keep that item till SWTOR closes it's doors. It never gets old or needs repair or stales or we..it kinda breaks but you get the point. So price could be viewed as investment in an item for forever. I think the OPs issue is a valid one.The player is weighing the cost and time in real world money versus is this going to be a good investment. Unfortunately the general consensus is a big "No, this is not a good investment".

There is no simple fix to this because it is up to BW to set prices for the Cartel Market. I hope that the person or people that deal with the pricing in the cartel market consider adjusting the ceiling price of the 24x packets to be low enough so a purchase of $39.99US will satisfy the justification of the purchase. Currently the CM price for a 24x is approx. $55US.

I just thought of this. If there is a way to pick and chose what you want boxed up for (x) price and at the ceiling price or higher there is a slight and deeper discount for the box, then IMO may justify the price of the purchase.

Please do not jump onto this thread an go "well, you don't have buy anything because I don't !". That solves nothing, that does not contribute nothing, that just fills space because you feel to be a jerk. There are people like myself who have addiction triggers, and I don' t know anyone who doesn't have to mange their money in the real world. IMO, I like inventing my time and money into SWTOR again. I didn't stop subbing, but I did stop playing because of life. Someone said this already that it is better to have a large base of small investors than a small base of large investors. I really, really, really hope BW Austin tunes into that and changed the model of the cartel market to reflect that.

Anything on the cartel market is your choice other than the boxes. They are gambles. Some people are into gambling, but nothing in the boxes is NECESSARY for progression in the game. If you don't want to gamble on the boxes, there are many other ways to get anything that's in them. If you've got four alts, for example, and want the new Korrealis Duke, (on my server at least) it's just two days of serious daily grinding to buy that item. There is no reason you should be able to choose which box items you want to get, because the basic idea of them is that you're gambling, maybe you'll get junk, maybe you'll get something really good, but either way, it really doesn't cost much. If you're concerned about getting addicted to boxes, trying to get the thing you want out of them, maybe you'd be better off just ignoring what's in them entirely? If it's really so bad, buy the items with credits, it doesn't actually take a lot to farm them, unless you're really lazy like I am.

First of, I apologize if my English grammar is not up to par with everyone else here.

Being a Scandinavian, it's not my native language. And due to work I'm forced to use Internet Explorer 11 along With Windows 8.1.. Yeah I know. The horror.

I've been Reading all the comments, and I agree with most of it.

Pack prices of the market should be lowered significantly, say you pay for the 5500CC, then the hypercrate price should be that price aswell to at least "sort of" make up for the money spent.

I'm a returning player myself and just resubbed last week, and due to my job I've got a fair bit of Money to spend, and I don't fuss to much over it. But that doesn't mean I agree With the prices I'm paying, I just don't have to care to much about it. But in this time I've probably bought about 9 or so Hypercrates, mainly to get some credits, some trinkets and perhaps some "rare" Mounts, and the credits og towards my newly created guild, just to help it out and to get the guild tabs out and help out new members.

(Apologies but IE11 keeps capitalizing random Words and we can't turn it off because blabla regulations at work.)

But I've seen a retuning thing in these threads, People talking about account wide items?

What items are included here?

Mounts? Armor sets and so on?

Say I make a New toon, and I want to use some fancy looking armor and get one of the Mounts I've activated on my main char. Is that possible without the random gamble and rng of the hypercrates, or the rediculous prices of the GTN?

And if it is, how do you og about doing this?

I've read that it costs some credits, but not as much as it would cost if you didn't have the item/used the item first on Your toon.

I thought it worked like this.

I open up a set of random gimmicky looking armor, I equip it, and now it's connected to my account.

I log out and create a new character, go to the market and I can now get that armor set there somewhere for a cheaper price?

Sorry for all the questions, I've still got a fair bit to learn.

First of, I apologize if my English grammar is not up to par with everyone else here.

Being a Scandinavian, it's not my native language. And due to work I'm forced to use Internet Explorer 11 along With Windows 8.1.. Yeah I know. The horror.

I've been Reading all the comments, and I agree with most of it.

Pack prices of the market should be lowered significantly, say you pay for the 5500CC, then the hypercrate price should be that price aswell to at least "sort of" make up for the money spent.

I'm a returning player myself and just resubbed last week, and due to my job I've got a fair bit of Money to spend, and I don't fuss to much over it. But that doesn't mean I agree With the prices I'm paying, I just don't have to care to much about it. But in this time I've probably bought about 9 or so Hypercrates, mainly to get some credits, some trinkets and perhaps some "rare" Mounts, and the credits og towards my newly created guild, just to help it out and to get the guild tabs out and help out new members.

(Apologies but IE11 keeps capitalizing random Words and we can't turn it off because blabla regulations at work.)

But I've seen a retuning thing in these threads, People talking about account wide items?

What items are included here?

Mounts? Armor sets and so on?

Say I make a New toon, and I want to use some fancy looking armor and get one of the Mounts I've activated on my main char. Is that possible without the random gamble and rng of the hypercrates, or the rediculous prices of the GTN?

And if it is, how do you og about doing this?

I've read that it costs some credits, but not as much as it would cost if you didn't have the item/used the item first on Your toon.

I thought it worked like this.

I open up a set of random gimmicky looking armor, I equip it, and now it's connected to my account.

I log out and create a new character, go to the market and I can now get that armor set there somewhere for a cheaper price?

Sorry for all the questions, I've still got a fair bit to learn.

As long as you have the full set if it's armor, open your inventory and go to the button called collections. If you scroll to the pack that the armor came from, and find it in the list, you should be able to click a button with a picture of a box opening and an arrow coming out of it (I think). This button will give you the option to buy the armor for use on your alts for a discounted price, and now whenever you want the armor on an alt, you can just collect it from there.