G 13 Gamepad

Dalant

Using a Nostromo N52 here. It is older but similar. To me, what makes that and the G13 worlds appart from the other speepads is the inclusion of a Directional-pad, which lets you move your character with a single finger (thumb) as opposed to 2 or 3 of the standard WASD-like pads, letting your free to mash away.

I have been using my Nostromo N52 for over 5 years. I would marry it and have it's babies. The ability to also macro keys so they repeat themselves while you are simply holding them down also saved my carpian tunnels.

Now, having assigned one of it's keys to SHIFT, you can imagine how much I just dont lack keys when I combine it with my razer Naga.

Using a Nostromo N52 here. It is older but similar. To me, what makes that and the G13 worlds appart from the other speepads is the inclusion of a Directional-pad, which lets you move your character with a single finger (thumb) as opposed to 2 or 3 of the standard WASD-like pads, letting your free to mash away.

I have been using my Nostromo N52 for over 5 years. I would marry it and have it's babies. The ability to also macro keys so they repeat themselves while you are simply holding them down also saved my carpian tunnels.

Now, having assigned one of it's keys to SHIFT, you can imagine how much I just dont lack keys when I combine it with my razer Naga.

I've owned both (the old n52) as well, and disagree.

The thing that makes the 2 worlds apart is the curvature of the n52. With the n52, it's MUCH easier to each all the buttons. I have large hands, and very long fingers, so I'm able to navigate almost all the buttons of my G13 with only a small amount of effort (and there are more buttons on the G13), but centering yourself on the n52 is MUCH easier, and there's absolutely no difficulty at all, even for someone with smaller hands, in reaching all the buttons.

That being said, I'm not at all unhappy with the G13. It's really grown on me and even the joystick is fine for controlling my character. A and D keys typically turn you very fast, regardless of whether they're bound on a joystick or not, so the fact that it's hard to carefully navigate left and right with the joystick is not a complaint of mine, nor really even a fault with the G13.

I've been looking at getting one of these... just not sure if I could 'adapt'. I currently use a G510 but don't use the macro keys much...

It takes effort, but the effort can pay off.

How many hot keys do you use on your keyboard with your hand (no mouse click or mouse hand help)? Do you have to look down to use any of those?

If I told you I can easily use 20 hot keys with my left hand, without looking down and without using my mouse or my mouse hand (and that's mostly limited by the UI at the moment, I could easily increase that to 30 or 40), would you think the G13 is worth it?

. It's really grown on me and even the joystick is fine for controlling my character. A and D keys typically turn you very fast, regardless of whether they're bound on a joystick or not, so the fact that it's hard to carefully navigate left and right with the joystick is not a complaint of mine, nor really even a fault with the G13.

I would never use Left-Right to turn, but to strafe left and right (usually Q and E instead of A and D). Strafing and mouse turning instead of keyboard truning gives a LOT more control.

Edited by Dekarx

It takes effort, but the effort can pay off.

How many hot keys do you use on your keyboard with your hand (no mouse click or mouse hand help)? Do you have to look down to use any of those?

If I told you I can easily use 20 hot keys with my left hand, without looking down and without using my mouse or my mouse hand (and that's mostly limited by the UI at the moment, I could easily increase that to 30 or 40), would you think the G13 is worth it?

Alone, I'm not sure. Combined with a Nage or a mouse that have at least 7 buttons, could be. Personnally I tend to be heavy on both ingame and hardware macroes to diminish the number of keys needed.

I would never use Left-Right to turn, but to strafe left and right (usually Q and E instead of A and D). Strafing and mouse turning instead of keyboard truning gives a LOT more control.

I do believe a and d function as q and e when using the right mouse button. I find this gives the best of both worlds as one can use the mouse to navigate and have strafing keys, or one can not use the mouse and have turning keys.

Alone, I'm not sure. Combined with a Nage or a mouse that have at least 7 buttons, could be. Personnally I tend to be heavy on both ingame and hardware macroes to diminish the number of keys needed.

If that works fine for you, awesome! The G13 might not be worth while.

A lot of it comes down to play style. As a healer, I often have to have a lot of different spells available to me at any given time. Especially to avoid switching between a party layout and a solo layout. I've actually already maxed out the convenient UI space and am hoping BioWare opens the way for mods within the next month so better hotbar layouts become possible.