The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question about Live Streaming

WaywardSith

Hey guys.

So yesterday I decided to download xfire and start streaming some of my gameplay. Needless to say, my stream quality is terrible. So question one is how do you guys usually go about making sure your stream quality isn't terrible?

Question two is how do I get my xfire stream reflected on my twitch stream? Is it done automatically?

Thanks

Hey guys.

So yesterday I decided to download xfire and start streaming some of my gameplay. Needless to say, my stream quality is terrible. So question one is how do you guys usually go about making sure your stream quality isn't terrible?

Question two is how do I get my xfire stream reflected on my twitch stream? Is it done automatically?

Thanks

First I would download X split stream launcher. Put it at your resolution on your computer. It will only play at 360-480p since you will be using the free version so quality won't be the best. It's like 15 dollars for three months and you can get up to 1080 and hd with no bandwidth limit.

Xsplit has a feature to automatically stream accross twitch.tv as long as you have an account.

xfire :eek:

no no no no

get this..

http://obsproject.com/

Its free and very nicely done.

To stream at 720 you need to have an upload speed on your internet of about 3-4 mb total (2mb upload for 720 stream and the rest for your game , this is a bit over what is used but you want more then enough fior "smoothness") . Enough bandwidth for stream and game together or you can stream at 480p if you dont have sufficient upload speed easier. But Xfire is poorly optimized and chews up way to much system resources for a poor return in stream quality.

Also a decent quad core like a older or newer intel i7 works very nice and at least 6 gigs ram in your system most definitely helps.

There is a great video tutorial on setting up http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=410 and i am happy to help if you on Skype..muble..vent...etc if you need it as well getting you online streaming to twitch. Its very easy TBH and will take about 15 minutes to set up.

send me an FR here if you want to try OBS and i can walk you through it.

heres a video i recorded on Twitchtv of a stream i did when i set this software up myself. I did some more tweaking and the stream looks even better because i am now able to stream at 45 fps instead of 30 which makes stream a lot smoother. http://www.twitch.tv/crazycanukk/b/368042879

Mind my stupid looking face when Video starts..I was eating crackers and had a sore backtooth and was forced to chew at the front..lol...:(:o

My system specs are

i7 3570k at 4.0 ghz (using turbo not Oc'ing)

8 gigs ram

gtx 580

using 2.25 mb upload speed

this video was set at 30 fps stream rate i believe and i now use 45 fps with utterly no effect in game and a very tiny amount of extra bandwidth for stream. On avergae i am allowing for 2.25 mb upload but according to the software i am pushing about 1 mb upload..

Edited by CrazyCanukk

Wow thanks for the reply. I will definitely check that out. Looks like I'll be needing to upgrade my bandwidth upload speed before I can even think about doing this, but it's good to have the info anyways!

No problem.

You can easily get away with less upload bandwidth ..many do. Depending on the speed is if your going to have to go to 480 or 360 p instead and the overall quality of the stream you are looking for.

But being honest stream quality is key (as well as your own personality you add to the whole stream) to getting people to not only watch your stream but want to stay longer and populate the stream and hopefully favourite your twitch channel. Its hard for people to want to stick around a low quality stream when the next guy is streaming at 720 and its nice and smooth.

Any help you think you need when your ready I'l be happy to help ..:)