The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Recommendations for PVE!

Keffeine

Hi everyone!

I'm going to start a Vanguard and I'm hoping to get some recommendations on the best DPS specs around.

I have a 50 PVE Shadow Tank, 50 PVE Scoundrel Heals, 50 PVP Focus Sentinel and a 50 Arsenal Mercenary, and I'm working on a PVE Jugg Tank, PVE Sniper and PVE Sorc DPS/Heals.

I'm looking for a Vanguard build that is as different from all of my other characters as possible but still able to output awesome DPS. If you tell me Vanguard DPS sucks then I'll probably go Tank instead.

Also, is there a viable ranged build for Vanguards? From what I can tell Vanguard DPS seems to be mostly melee.

Fire away! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone!

I'm going to start a Vanguard and I'm hoping to get some recommendations on the best DPS specs around.

I have a 50 PVE Shadow Tank, 50 PVE Scoundrel Heals, 50 PVP Focus Sentinel and a 50 Arsenal Mercenary, and I'm working on a PVE Jugg Tank, PVE Sniper and PVE Sorc DPS/Heals.

I'm looking for a Vanguard build that is as different from all of my other characters as possible but still able to output awesome DPS. If you tell me Vanguard DPS sucks then I'll probably go Tank instead.

Also, is there a viable ranged build for Vanguards? From what I can tell Vanguard DPS seems to be mostly melee.

Fire away! :)

go dps Assault is awesome, i am yet to try Tactics, i have tried to tank flashpoints but too many dps heroes and i kinda got sick of it.

Tactics is a viable PvE alternative to assaul on paper but the channeled nature of its biggest hitting attack ( Pulse Cannon at 3 stacks ) makes it more susceptible to dps loss if any movement is included.

Since almost most boss fights include some kind of movement either on your or bosses' part it results in even lower dps compared to Assault since you are either missing the target with your pulse cannon since it has moved away, clipping it early to move out of stuff or holding back on using it instead of using it as soon as its off cooldown since movement is about to happen soon or you cant use aoe at that moment ( spheres flying close by at Operator fight, trandoshan packs with warriors at Kephess fight at EC).

For leveling, do you guys first hit either of the other trees for any skills? Focused impact and demolition, for example.

Here's the spec I just 'made up' using best guesses:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZMsZfhMrzGGrs.2

I mean I'll certainly do a good bit of warzoning as I level, but it'll still be 50-60% PvE leveling. I can only handle so much of U50 pvp in a day.

Thanks in advace, I don't have a BH so I'm fairly oblivious to this character archtype.

Edited by islander