The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rare items, as rare as getting them

RikHar

Stop referring to blue items as "Rare."

Blue items are not rare. They're just like green items but a bit better. Besides, for long time level 50's, blue is just as bad as green. They're useless.

Spending real money on the cartel market and continually getting blue items is just a complete waste of real money. After just having gone thru' this same situation, I won't ever spend another dime on the Cartel Market.

It's becoming apparent that getting a purple item on the market is as RARE as the purple items themselves.

Edited by RikHar

You're guaranteed to get 2 rares in each pack. But how can they be rare if you're guaranteed to get them?

Obviously, some items are more rare than other items, just like some animals are more equal than other animals. Uhmmmmm wait.. Anyway...

The packs would each need a lootlist of ~200 entries for "rare" items, to give even the more common rare item some perceived value of rarity. As much as I'd like to see that happen (and as much as I my wallet would NOT like to see that happen), I don't think creating such a big lootlist for cartel packs would keep them very profitable for Bioware.

However, they could consider adjusting the description on their cartel packs to something like "Contains at least 2 Special/Seasonal/Limited Edition items."

So throw the word RARE out of the window from the Cartel Pack descriptions.

By the way, I don't think green or blue items should be vendor trash. I actually think people should get rid of their WoW-inducted epic-fever and stop complaining about "an item not being a purple".

You're guaranteed to get 2 rares in each pack. But how can they be rare if you're guaranteed to get them?

".

Packs say you're guaranteed to get 2 rares with a chance of a super rare. This is what it says but unfortunately, it's far from the truth.

So picking up 5 blue items which by the way seem to be the same very frequent pack items players continually get is not a definition of rare.

To an old 50, blue items are the same as green, they're totally useless. Never heard anyone define a blue item as being rare. When out on the field rare items don't tend to drop alot which by the way they're usually purple. Now, blue and green drop all over the place.

Anyway, the main thing I was trying to say is the packs indicate you're "guaranteed" 2 rares in every pack. This is not happening. Bioware, whether intention or not is misleading with this.

Whats makes an item rare if getting them isnt? The whole point of them being rare is that they are hard or there is a small chance of getting them... Thats basically the whole definition of rare.

I hear you.

But how are blue items rare when everyone is getting the same items? I have my inventory full of the same emotes, banners, exp boost and so on. These items Bioware calls "rare" are far from it since they're frequently in packs.

I hear you.

But how are blue items rare when everyone is getting the same items? I have my inventory full of the same emotes, banners, exp boost and so on. These items Bioware calls "rare" are far from it since they're frequently in packs.

Again, the lootlist of the packs would need about ~200 items on them to give the impression that even the "more common" rares are rares. Guaranteeing rares wasn't a great choice of words for these packs, since their raity is subject to the amount of packs you purchase.

When you buy 5 packs, chances are that you WON'T have all of the more common rares available. So you could get the impression that some of those are a bit more rare.

When you buy 30 packs, you'll probably have doubles for all of them. However, you probably still won't have all the ultra-rares, so those will actually feel rare to you.

"Rare" is a very subjective quantifier.

"Rare" is also not to be used as a qualifier. When you're level 50 and start to mostly use purple and orange gear, your conception of blue quality gear will be affected by the notion that such items are generally no longer useful to you. However, that does NOT give any indication for the rarity of the object.

When you go kill a bunch of random mobs somewhere, and find a lvl 50 blue-rarity helmet drop, you'll get the feeling that you got a useless drop, since you already have better, and nobody would want it, since lvl 50 blue-grade helmets are pointless with the free Tionese gear everybody gets. Still, that doesn't make that helmet a common drop. And it doesn't make the helmet a bad drop unworthy of it's blue color. You just happen to have better. It fits perfectly within the whole generic equipment progression system. However, as players, we go a bit around that progression system by purchasing BiS items on the GTN when we hit 50, by receiving our free set of Tionese gear, by farming flashpoints and operations over and over once we hit 50. Players tend to SKIP the part where that blue helmet was actually an upgrade.

And yes, I got tired of all the /bop and /menace emotes I found in my Cartel Packs as well. Still, my feelings about those items or their usefulness or how many of those things I got are no indication for their rarity. They're just a result of the amount of packs I bought. There are plenty people who would like all the emotes and speeders and ball tosses I've got stored in my cargobays. However, the price asked for them on the GTN is not worth it to them, or they're unaware of those things even existing or what they do exactly, have more need for things that affect their gameplay instead of their social play. It wouldn't amaze me if there were more 27-modifications around than /bop emotes. So should those mods get recolorcoded to blue then?

It actually wouldn't be too hard for the developers to write some script that changes the color of your gear and the mods in them relative to your character level. So that lvl 27 purple hilt on your lvl 27 marauder's lighsaber would indeed be purple, but when the marauder hits lvl 31, it'd be displayed as blue, at lvl 35 as green and at lvl 39 as gray. It'd probably upset a lot of people if that were implemented, but for other people it might be the cure they need for their epic-fever.