Sentinel - Crit always over Power?

agincourt

The thing with crit and Watchman to remember is the Zen ability. Having Zen, Valorous call and the ease with which you gain centering means in tough/PvP fights you can generally have automatic crit DoTs the majority of the time. At least, I do.

• 3 months later...
I like to go Power/surge on my combat sentinel. Reason is simple - by lvl ~33 u have blade storm on such a low cool down and costs only 2 focus. Then you have Battle Trance which makes your blade storm have a 100% chance to critically hit when u make an ataru strike, which I think is 60% of the time. SO I think power / surge is better cuz power gives you the sustained damage u need overall and surge gives you the boost in damage in that 100% blade storm crit chance. i think 3.7 crit on lvl 30 is quite well..

leveled to 34 in combat so far, finding the class super challenging and feel like sometimes there isn't much difference in outcomes between getting it all right and fumbling around somewhat.

after reading this i am going to re-spec to watchman and see how it goes. i am used to finishing in the top 50% in WZs but never in top 25%, even when i feel like i did everything well. my gear isn't bad, not great either, but sometimes even when i am behind an opponent and using all the right skills at the right time it takes forever to burn them down. maybe this will change as a watchmen, i will post my opinions later.

also i feel like we have way too many skills that do almost the same thing. i am dreading going to the class trainer these days for fear there will be a new skill i won't have room for on my keybinds. it seemed a lot easier back in the teens when there were a few staple skills and one could focus more on moving around the enemy. now i feel like i spend more time choosing the right skill or finding the right key and by the time i do the enemy is out of range.

Sentinel is a tough class to play. its very micromaned on top of the fact it takes on the cons of being a melee class... Watchmen honestly made me like this class alot more. hopefully it will do the same with you. It does great damage and has good survivability.

Watchman spec heals you when you crit on your burns. So when I play mine, I usually do crit/surge. But I've only played Watchman. I'd imagine the other specs (especially Combat) would rely more on power. But again this is speculation.

YOu want lots of power as watchman as well. Crit to about 25% Surge to about 73% the rest in power. You should have hefty bonus damage. You Zen a lot, so crit isn't as important as you think. Surge has a terrible DR. Power has no DR that I'm aware of, it's always good to stack it.

Edited by Derian

YOu want lots of power as watchman as well. Crit to about 25% Surge to about 73% the rest in power. You should have hefty bonus damage. You Zen a lot, so crit isn't as important as you think. Surge has a terrible DR. Power has no DR that I'm aware of, it's always good to stack it.

Ok I have the same question as the OP about this and my thinking is similar that with Zen crit might not seem as important but doesnt that just affect burns assuming you are in juyo form the entire time (I'm only level 33) and would you still want to stick crit for your non-burn attacks?