Jedi Guardian - A Few Gripes

ELECTRICJUDGMENT

First off, let me say that I consider myself somewhat of a Star Wars expert (compared to most), especially the era in which the game is set (Old Republic). I read the Tales of the Jedi as a kid and I still own them, as well as the Essential Chronology and Encyclopedia which I have read cover to cover multiple times for fun, because I love Star Wars that much. I have also read several of the books. KotOR is one of my all time favorite RPGs. I actually knew who Exar Kun was when his chestplate dropped on Dantooine (ultimate nergasm at the time). Don't get me wrong, I'm no neckbeard Star Wars tragic. I have a few issues with the Guardian class and the way it's portrayed that have bugged me since release and just want to share them here.

- It is not practical or accurate for a Jedi to hold a lightsaber like a baseball bat with both hands all the time, especially while running at full speed. I think I understand where the devs were going with this initially, but it's too far. Allow them to hold in one hand while in Sprint as they do when jumping off a platform.

- Sundering Strike looks like a fencing parry, not an armor-reducing lightsaber strike (not that lightsabers ever needed armor reduction). It makes Guardians appear delicate and I hope it is changed. It looks really bad.

- Swelling Winds/Decimate should be a Guardian/Jugg only talent (like it was before 1.2) as they are logically the "heavier" class of Knight/Warrior.

- Master Strike: A Jedi (especially a Master) would never turn his back on the enemy for this long. I think the animation should be shorter.

- Strikes in general appear to stop at the target; there's no follow through the target model. It makes the Jedi look hesitant, and most of all like they're swinging a bat around, not a lightsaber.

All in all it seems like the class was either rushed, or less favored by devs. Whatever the case I hope they are fixed or at least reviewed.

That's all I got for now. If I remember any more I'll be sure to update this. Thanks for reading.

Edited by ELECTRICJUDGMENT

+ 1 for holding your saber with one hand. I'd love it if you could pull out your saber and hold it by your side just like the ending pose on the flourish emote. In combat, sure place it in two hands, but if you're just brandishing your saber you're not going to stand there swinging it around like you're about to go for a homerun

The other thing that gets me is the final blow of Master Strike, it just looks clumsy

Edited by Ailie

To the op. I always though that a combination of holding the lightsaber with both hands and one hand would be ideal depending on if your running or not. I would expect a jugg/guardian to hold their lightsaber with both hands through most of a fight, but out running while not fighting I would expect a one hand hold position.

Although I don't mind the current animations too much I can see your point and I don't think Guardian is the only victim. I would think Shadows/Assassins would be a bit more acrobatic than they are right now.

There use to be another Star Wars game that we all know about and looking back at a lot of those lightsaber animations wouldn't be a bad idea at all if this kind of consideration ever comes up in the future.

Maybe, it's because they could not come up with anything on their own and stole the majority of classes/abilities from WOW.......It seems like your guardian is holding a 20ft long sword with the way it is animated, but wait, go to WOW and see what weapons they have. Makes sense eh?