Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

NamikazeNaruto

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, thank you for the time you put into this. Its a very good read with a lot of helpful information this is the most complete info I think I have seen recently for Sins/Shadows, very impressive.

Keep up the good work it is very much appreciated.

How is the healing proc relic compared to the defense proc relic these days?

As far as I know, healing is BiS, followed by defense since the defense relic gives a + to your defense stat while absorb gives a + to power.

For Shadow tanks, BiS relics are, in order, Heal proc relic, Defense proc relic, and then Absorb proc relic.

I have tried this on my work computer and my phone... I can not get it to load. i will try tonight at home but could you check this link?

Thanks for everything :)!!

It worked fine for me. :eek: Anyone else having an issue with the links?

P.S. I have added a third build into the guide, take a look and let me know what you guys think.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

what is your rotation for the skill tree 17/29/0 ?

The rotation would be to double strike for particle acceleration procs, and then use force recklessness with the project after you get the proc. Your projects hit for a massive amount of damage in this spec, so use dps gear. Shadow strikes can be used when you don't have the PA proc and have the infil tactics proc, in order to recover some force while still doing a good amount of damage. The spec does good damage and has decent survivability, but there are possible force management issues.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

Hey Zab!

Zab.. Zabzabzabzab! Thanks for the guide.

One question though:

Wouldn't it be maybe more favorable to go for a hybrid build like this:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/shadow#22123212110023302-203-1210012223

You loose a bit of damage but gain a bit more utility/survivability:

If you need to get a turret by force you could still quickly respec, but for pure defending (in Voidstar and Civil), it may be better. Opinions?

Also I saw you took rapid recovery above getting full mental fortitude. Did you do the math on it? IS rapid recovery worth it after 2.0 now?

Thanks Zab!

Edited by Okema

Hey Zab!

Zab.. Zabzabzabzab! Thanks for the guide.

One question though:

Wouldn't it be maybe more favorable to go for a hybrid build like this:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/shadow#22123212110023302-203-1210012223

You loose a bit of damage but gain a bit more utility/survivability:

If you need to get a turret by force you could still quickly respec, but for pure defending (in Voidstar and Civil), it may be better. Opinions?

Also I saw you took rapid recovery above getting full mental fortitude. Did you do the math on it? IS rapid recovery worth it after 2.0 now?

Thanks Zab!

I already have that spec in my guide and state that it is the best for node guarding, albeit by a small margin :o. Well, I mostly have that spec there anyways, there's a small change in that I have 2 points in rapid recovery and one in mental fortitude, and only 1 point in celerity. I'm curious though, what are you comparing this spec to exactly? As for the rapid recovery, I have not done the math on it honestly, if anyone wants to do the math on that particular thing by all means feel free :p.

Ahh, I was just asking myself if it would be better to drop two points in Applied Force, one in Adjudication to put them into Celerity and Kinetic Bullwark, but yes it's basically just a small change to your spec. Probably just trying to find out if what I did would be viable too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zabuza, Its Kray from old JC, I am now on POT5.

I have rolled a shadow for PvP Tanking on pub side, your guide has awesome calculations for gearing but i still can't decide between mitigation and endurance, I wish there was a way to parse it, I think I am going to just have to get both partisan sets and test it out.

On another note, I see you mention the healing relic... could it prove fruitful to use healing relic and shield relic? My reasoning stems from the concept the defence has such high diminishing returns.

Thanks, Kray

Hey Zabuza, Its Kray from old JC, I am now on POT5.

I have rolled a shadow for PvP Tanking on pub side, your guide has awesome calculations for gearing but i still can't decide between mitigation and endurance, I wish there was a way to parse it, I think I am going to just have to get both partisan sets and test it out.

On another note, I see you mention the healing relic... could it prove fruitful to use healing relic and shield relic? My reasoning stems from the concept the defence has such high diminishing returns.

Thanks, Kray

Honestly at this point, I would probably use the Hybrid Build that I have there. The reason for this is mitigation build is technically better... when you can actually shield an attack. The problem is that when an attack goes unshielded you'll still take just as much damage as if you were in the Endurance build, but you'll have less of a health pool buffer to stay alive with. If you go straight Endurance Build though, even when you shield you will be absorbing about 10% less damage than if you were mitigation build. This means the damage you take will seem even spikier. Also the healers will be spending more force/energy to keep you alive. That is why I made the Hybrid build as a sort of compromise between the two.

As for the relics, the healing is definitely useful, and the difference between the defense and shield relics is purely situational, depending whether the team you face is a force heavy comp or a melee/ranged damage heavy comp. Although the Defense relic actually gives you some permanent defense stats with the endurance whereas the Absorb relic gives you power instead.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

• 2 weeks later...
I has a question!

Where the hell do I find Advanced Sturdiness Enhancement 27X?

I can't seem to find it at all, it's like it doesn't exist yet :o

All the 27 Enhancements are bought from a vendor in the bounty hunter/imperial agent section of the combat wing. All the 28 Enhancements are bought from a vendor in the inquisitor/warrior section of the combat wing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just PvPd for the first time this weekend, and it was like coming home. To Alderaan, and getting stuck there the entire time :rolleyes:

Anyway, will be going over your tutorial here but had a quick question stemming from this thread on level 55 bolster. Am I really disadvantaging myself using all my old War Hero/ Battle Master gear? Because that would be unfortunate after how long I had to grind to get it in the first place :(

Just PvPd for the first time this weekend, and it was like coming home. To Alderaan, and getting stuck there the entire time :rolleyes:

Anyway, will be going over your tutorial here but had a quick question stemming from this thread on level 55 bolster. Am I really disadvantaging myself using all my old War Hero/ Battle Master gear? Because that would be unfortunate after how long I had to grind to get it in the first place :(

The bad news is... it is indeed true that Battlemaster/War Hero gear will hinder you as compared to PvE gear because of bolster. The good news is...Partisan gear will be better for you than bolstered gear, and it will not take you long to obtain, perhaps a few days for full partisan if you are really grinding.

:sul_frown:

I have a few new pieces I have gotten already, do I simply replace my PvE gear with these Partisan or higher bits as I accumulate them or do I wait until I get a full set (as that thread suggests)?

Also, and this betrays my not having yet read through all of this thread, but is it still common as a Shadow tank to wear the Stalker set or should I actually get the Survivor now?

Thanks, appreciated. I guess this explains why the two 2300 ranked individuals focus targeted me all the time lol. I melted.

:sul_frown:

I have a few new pieces I have gotten already, do I simply replace my PvE gear with these Partisan or higher bits as I accumulate them or do I wait until I get a full set (as that thread suggests)?

Also, and this betrays my not having yet read through all of this thread, but is it still common as a Shadow tank to wear the Stalker set or should I actually get the Survivor now?

Thanks, appreciated. I guess this explains why the two 2300 ranked individuals focus targeted me all the time lol. I melted.

I would replace your PvE gear as the Partisan becomes available, I'm not sure what thread "that thread" is that you are referring to, but bolster was changed. There is more expertise loss on bolstered pieces than there used to be(except for Matrix Cubes.)

Also, as for wearing the Stalker set as opposed to the Survivor set, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a Kinetic DPS, or if you want to rely on winning 1v1s when you are node guarding or trying to take a node, then get the Stalker set. However, shields were changed to actually shield force/tech damage now. So if you actually want to tank, and stall people at nodes instead of relying on winning 1v1s(which imo is better because oftentimes more than 1 enemy at once comes to try and take your node). then get the Survivor gear.

Unfortunately, Shadow tanks are the squishiest tanks by a good margin because their unshielded mitigation is pretty low. However, with tank gear you will still last a good deal longer than if you were wearing DPS gear.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

I would replace your PvE gear as the Partisan becomes available, I'm not sure what thread "that thread" is that you are referring to, but bolster was changed. There is more expertise loss on bolstered pieces than there used to be(except for Matrix Cubes.)

Nuts, forgot to link to it in my first post. In this the OP argues to not mix and match bolstered and non bolstered armour, as well as PvE and PvP modifications within single items.

Nuts, forgot to link to it in my first post. In this the OP argues to not mix and match bolstered and non bolstered armour, as well as PvE and PvP modifications within single items.

I figured it was that one... when that OP was made that was the case, level 54 crafted gear was the best at that point in time(May 6th). Bolster has since been changed.

Thanks, very helpful.

Always glad to help :).

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a level 49 shadow and have been playing with specs. I notice that of course the dps spec obviously do more dps. But it seems that most shadows are dps specced and I would like to have a tank.

My question is this; is tank specced shadow still viable and worth doing? And also is there a place or could you inform me of the rotation? I would like to find a place that breaks everything down barney style so I can learn what procs what and when and how to use things. I lack in this area, so any help you can offer is much appreciated.

thanks for all your posts and guide.:D

Shadow tanks are totally viable in PvP and I absolutely adore my toon. I am full Partisan and, if I am not on "objective guarding" duty, I can get 100K+ damage and 200K+ protection. I also have pretty good survivability as long as I don't try to be a hero (e.g. capture a node on my own). In general, you have to understand that Shadows are not meant to serve as "brick walls" like the Guardians but instead use their speed and stealth in order to get the job done.

Here follow some useful links.

What PvP tanking means: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=461232

Thread about Shadows (PvP+PvE, DPS+Tanking): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=427933

Gearing/stats/rotation (Assassins PvE focused but most things apply to PvP as well): http://suckafish.enjin.com/forum/m/2482819/viewthread/7721704-tanking-darkness-pve-guide-to-assassins

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.