7-14 day lock out on relisting GTN items

Kalfear

That's because resources are infinite in this game setting. You CAN send companions out on crew skills for more resources. You CAN go around and collect more resources at anytime. You CAN go farm gear from mobs, missions, and flashpoints. I say it because the resources ARE infinite. Thats what you aren't getting. So stop whining about how not everyone is meeting YOUR ethical code and go play the game, because really this whole thing is just ridiculous and absurd.

Oh yes, there's also an inifnite amount of players who actually cause this supply? Since the amount of resources a player can gather in any timeframe is very finite, and a marketflipper won't break a sweat buying those out and relisting them. Since, those gathering themselves actually invest time into the gathering. A market flipper only invests time into scanning, buying and relisting on the market. A lvl 7 character can do that rather easily, but will have slightly more trouble actually gathering the materials. They can, but scanning the market and relisting the fruits of someone elses labour is definitely the path of least resistance.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Buying and re-listing is simply one way to use the market. It's also very risky for the investor. It's just another fact of the market. Deal with it.

No its not

Deal with it

Besides (gawd love how you types dont read thread through)

I changed up my concept after a few good (and LOTS of horrid) posts

But Ill repeat just for you

Rather then the simplist relist lock out (that some people try to make sound like it would require 100000 devs a 1000000 hours to write :rolleyes: ) lets make it simple

When a player puts something on the GTN they can choose to click a box that simply states

"I am not a wholesaler to resalers and these items will not be allowed to be relisted"

Long as a pop up happens for anyone buying it so they are warned before purchase

Everyone with any reasonable concerns should be happy

The seller controls who his goods are sold to and how they are handled as is true in any free market

The buyers can not claim they didnt understand items were not available for resale

Players benefit from buying lower listed items meant to be used in game rather then as a cheap credit grab

But let me guess, this isnt ok with you either, is it?

Who would have thunk

No its not

Deal with it

Besides (gawd love how you types dont read thread through)

I changed up my concept after a few good (and LOTS of horrid) posts

But Ill repeat just for you

Rather then the simplist relist lock out (that some people try to make sound like it would require 100000 devs a 1000000 hours to write :rolleyes: ) lets make it simple

When a player puts something on the GTN they can choose to click a box that simply states

"I am not a wholesaler to resalers and these items will not be allowed to be relisted"

Long as a pop up happens for anyone buying it so they are warned before purchase

Everyone with any reasonable concerns should be happy

The seller controls who his goods are sold to and how they are handled as is true in any free market

The buyers can not claim they didnt understand items were not available for resale

Players benefit from buying lower listed items meant to be used in game rather then as a cheap credit grab

But let me guess, this isnt ok with you either, is it?

Who would have thunk

No. It doesn't reflect a true market.

a marketflipper won't break a sweat buying those out and relisting them.

A market flipper only invests time into scanning, buying and relisting on the market.

scanning the market and relisting the fruits of someone elses labour is definitely the path of least resistance.

Which is perfectly okay, from a sellers-only point of view. However, when you take the buyer's point of view into account, you realize that chronic market-flippers drive prices up substantially, and buyers end up paying exorbitant price hikes for no other reason than the profiteers are succeeding in drying up the price-competitive listings all day every day.

In the real world there are consumer protection programs, and many many business laws that prevent those negative forces that are called Profiteering, Price Fixing, and Anti-Competitive Practices. In SWToR there is absolutely nothing (except obviously these forums) to protect the GTN consumers from unethical seller behaviors.

I'm sure there's some set of restrictions on GTN sales that BioWare could come up with, that would protect GTN buyers from

If the seller is able to click a "Binds On Purchase" checkbox when they put something up for sale on the GTN, it would certainly solve the problem for knowledgable market participants. This is similar to bulk packaging that you can find in stores that has printed on the outer package "Not For Resale". Which I'm sure is not just a request, but there is likely an actual law that could be enforced if a sketchy business were found reselling that item.

That way there would be a segment of the market on the GTN that is at least partially protected from profiteering, and many buyers on the GTN will get fair prices for the items they purchase. If someone tries to purchase a "Binds On Purchase" item, they get a warning dialog "Are you sure?"... and if they accidentally buy one of those items and it turned out to be the wrong one, they would obviously be out of luck and would have to take a loss.

If the seller is able to click a "Binds On Purchase" checkbox when they put something up for sale on the GTN, it would certainly solve the problem for knowledgable market participants. This is similar to bulk packaging that you can find in stores that has printed on the outer package "Not For Resale". Which I'm sure is not just a request, but there is likely an actual law that could be enforced if a sketchy business were found reselling that item.

That way there would be a segment of the market on the GTN that is at least partially protected from profiteering, and many buyers on the GTN will get fair prices for the items they purchase. If someone tries to purchase a "Binds On Purchase" item, they get a warning dialog "Are you sure?"... and if they accidentally buy one of those items and it turned out to be the wrong one, they would obviously be out of luck and would have to take a loss.

I don't think they could do this with stackable goods, like crafting resources. But it would at least sort out relisting equipment. Relisting equipment is less common perhaps, but still, it'd be a clear sign that relisting purchases for an increased price is not considered a core game mechanic as some people like to claim.

Edited by AsheraII

I don't think they could do this with stackable goods, like crafting resources. But it would at least sort out relisting equipment. Relisting equipment is less common perhaps, but still, it'd be a clear sign that relisting purchases for an increased price is not considered a core game mechanic as some people like to claim.

It would almost certainly require a new game-engine mechanism, so is more risky than any solution that uses pre-existing tags like the Cartel Market 36-hour Bound timers, or some other mod that requires only superficial changes to the game code. It would require the inventory system to maintain 2 separate stacks of each resource, if both Bound and Unbound stacks are present.

The beneift from those changes though, I think would provide a significant shift in reality on the GTN. Any resources sold as "Bind Upon Purchase" would likely be left alone by Profiteers who would know they can't resell the stack at any point. Back would be the days of price competition on the GTN! If you ask me this would totally revitalize the GTN markets.

Imagine if you're someone who crafts an assortment of mid-range Armoring, Mods, and Earpieces... and you realize the resources required to craft all these are too time-consuming to collect yourself, too expensive and time-consuming to send companions after it, and way too expensive to buy off the GTN. The person will become frustrated with the potential business of crafting these 3 types of equipments every week, and will likely craft only a few each week, if not give up on the endeavor altogether. Whereas if there was true price competition on the GTN for the basic resources, it would become truly feasible to buy all the resources from the GTN for the crafting each week for a full assortment of items, and this crafter could manage to craft a significant number of equipments each week and keep the on-sale stock maxed at 50, which also clearly lowers the price on the equipment on the GTN.

It would almost certainly require a new game-engine mechanism, so is more risky than any solution that uses pre-existing tags like the Cartel Market 36-hour Bound timers, or some other mod that requires only superficial changes to the game code. It would require the inventory system to maintain 2 separate stacks of each resource, if both Bound and Unbound stacks are present.

The beneift from those changes though, I think would provide a significant shift in reality on the GTN. Any resources sold as "Bind Upon Purchase" would likely be left alone by Profiteers who would know they can't resell the stack at any point. Back would be the days of price competition on the GTN! If you ask me this would totally revitalize the GTN markets.

Imagine if you're someone who crafts an assortment of mid-range Armoring, Mods, and Earpieces... and you realize the resources required to craft all these are too time-consuming to collect yourself, too expensive and time-consuming to send companions after it, and way too expensive to buy off the GTN. The person will become frustrated with the potential business of crafting these 3 types of equipments every week, and will likely craft only a few each week, if not give up on the endeavor altogether. Whereas if there was true price competition on the GTN for the basic resources, it would become truly feasible to buy all the resources from the GTN for the crafting each week for a full assortment of items, and this crafter could manage to craft a significant number of equipments each week and keep the on-sale stock maxed at 50, which also clearly lowers the price on the equipment on the GTN.

The problem with stackable goods is:

Let's say you have 2 stacks of Green Goo. One you just purchased of the GTN, so it has a timer, the other stack you farmed yourself, so it doesn't have a timer.

One stack is 50 pieces, the other stack is 3 pieces.

Let's say, the bought stack is 3 pieces. You combine it with the 50 piece stack you farmed yourself. Should that 50-piece stack now have a timer?

Now another time, you have those same stacks, but this time the 50-piece stack comes from the GTN. You combine the two stacks. Should the 53-piece stack now have a timer?

And what about 2 stacks of equal size, say 20 stacks each?

Avarage the timers? So 20 pieces with 36 hour timer + 20 pieces with 0 hour timer makes a 40-piece stack with an 18 hour timer? That would still mean that the timer could be circumvented by having a collection of no-timer stacks of green goo in your cargo bay. With 11 stacks of 90 green go in your cargo bay, you could split up the stack you just bought from the GTN and lower its timer to just over three and a half hours. The more stacks you have, the further you could shorten the timer.

The only solution might be, to make them unstackable. I'm not sure that would be a convenient solution either.

I'd like to see something to thwart and discourage the relisters, but especially for stacked items, the exact mechanics would be complicated. For non-stackable items, like equipment and mods however, I don't see many issues with simply using the Cartelstore's temporary binding system.

Let's say you have 2 stacks of Green Goo. One you just purchased of the GTN, so it has a timer, the other stack you farmed yourself, so it doesn't have a timer.

I'd like to see something to thwart and discourage the relisters, but especially for stacked items, the exact mechanics would be complicated. For non-stackable items, like equipment and mods however, I don't see many issues with simply using the Cartelstore's temporary binding system.

Beyond the stacking issues, you would also need to allow crafters to select which stack to craft from.

Going back, the underlying issue is people profiting off the GTN. You an argue whether or not this should be part of the game, but the proposed lock-out on re-listing items does not solve the underlying problem.

Incidentally, can some one give me a real example of a crafting material and/or the character that has a monopoly on POT5? I haven't personally observed this.

Oh yes, there's also an inifnite amount of players who actually cause this supply? Since the amount of resources a player can gather in any timeframe is very finite, and a marketflipper won't break a sweat buying those out and relisting them. Since, those gathering themselves actually invest time into the gathering. A market flipper only invests time into scanning, buying and relisting on the market. A lvl 7 character can do that rather easily, but will have slightly more trouble actually gathering the materials. They can, but scanning the market and relisting the fruits of someone elses labour is definitely the path of least resistance.

You don't need an infinite amount of people. You can go out and get your own resources as I pointed out. So no, NO ONE can capture an entire market. That is point you are missing.

You don't need an infinite amount of people. You can go out and get your own resources as I pointed out. So no, NO ONE can capture an entire market. That is point you are missing.

So incorrect. Just read this:

finite : capable of being completely counted

infinite : not capable of being completely counted

The market is the list of items currently for sale on the GTN, not the potential for additional items to be listed on the GTN in the future... your logic is invalid, since it's based on a faulty assumption.

The only solution might be, to make them unstackable. I'm not sure that would be a convenient solution either.

The current idea is actually to allow the seller to mark their sale as Bind-On-Purchase, which upon purchase would become permanently Bound. The lockout timer, while it does limit the amount of reselling that one character can accomplish each day, does not achieve enough in the way of anti-Profiteering.

What should happen is that stacks of Bound resources and stacks of Unbound resources never auto-stack, because stacking with Bound resources must make the entire stack Bound. If a player attempts to manually stack them with drag-and-drop, a confirmation dialog reminds them that the entire stack will become Bound, and they have a chance to cancel out.

Beyond the stacking issues, you would also need to allow crafters to select which stack to craft from.

Going back, the underlying issue is people profiting off the GTN. You an argue whether or not this should be part of the game, but the proposed lock-out on re-listing items does not solve the underlying problem.

Incidentally, can some one give me a real example of a crafting material and/or the character that has a monopoly on POT5? I haven't personally observed this.

At crafting time, it would make sense to always use up the Bound stack first. Keep in mind that the only use for Bound resources is to go ahead and craft with them. Unless someday we can drop them on our ship... and they become a big crate that is used as decoration. With a quantity LED-bar, like you see on some electronics.

Interesting thread. As a crafter I often price my items to attract new players who want to upgrade but don't have stacks of credits. By doing so, I often massively undercut those making the same items but who are selling to wealthy vets who are leveling alts. They see my prices as a threat to their profits and may buy all my stock to make their own more attractive. That's legitimate, but the result is the exclusion of new players from the GTN. I don't think that's a particularly desirable outcome. I would support the implementation of a 'Bind on Purchase' flag to prevent this, not out of any moral or ethical considerations, but because I think it's more beneficial to the game in the long term.

When it comes to resources, things are a little different. There is a point at which a particular set of mats loses its value i.e. the point at which those schematics that use them become grey and no longer advance your crafting skill. At that point, I often sell my surplus mats to purchase the funding of mats for the next tier. I don't want to be stuck with that surplus or be forced to create items to RE just to be able to sell the reduced quantities of saleable mats that this would generate. If I am stuck with that surplus, then I would need to increase my prices to compensate. You might argue that I could just buy only as much as I need, but that is a little simplistic and might mean that I miss the best bargains. If you want to set an artificial maximum price of mats, then the simplest way would be to make them available from crew skills vendors. I'm not sure that would really be an ideal solution.

You have completely missed the point...new players on the gtn should not be able to buy a 27 hilt for the cost of ONE source of the materials on the gtn...the minimum price should be enough to allow for a marginal profit. You undercutting makes end game too accessible. If I have to pick up a player for hm tfb...cause my guild is short one on occasion...I don't want someone who bought 61/63 gear on gtn because he ran 1 million slicing missions and had the credits...they need to be able to play through content.

To the next argument above: resources are not limited...want to prove it? Ok...pick up grade 1 resources on coruscant or dk and wait for them to respawn. If they don't you win, if they do, then I win...want to bet me your nest egg who is right?

Furthermore, if someone wants to lowball to sell it quick...a flipper helps them get their credits faster AND maintain market integrity. Let me ask you all in favor of manipulating the gtn against the marketeers...when was the last time you saw a grocery item get cheaper? Has a loaf of bread gotten any less expensive or more expensive over time? I have NEVER seen it decrease...because markets don't work that way.

The next issue you point out: gathering your own materials...let me say this: I will chase down mats where I can...but I want to PLAY the game...and gathering all the mats to craft everything is not time efficient...you would literally spend ALL your time doing it. Companies in the real world don't bother with it either...it isn't efficient to invest so heavily when you can make a profit, and create more jobs, by allowing people to specialise in building things other companies will use. However, your false justification for negative market manipulation is no different than an entity like the NYSE conspiring to short all the stocks on the market. The SEC would crack down on them and close the exchange...so how can you try to justify a negative manipulation when it isn't any more ethical than what you're accusing flippers of doing? At least they are playing by the rules...you're trying to move the goalposts because you think that you're at a disadvantage.

Edited by planet_J

You have completely missed the point...new players on the gtn should not be able to buy a 27 hilt for the cost of ONE source of the materials on the gtn...the minimum price should be enough to allow for a marginal profit. You undercutting makes end game too accessible. If I have to pick up a player for hm tfb...cause my guild is short one on occasion...I don't want someone who bought 61/63 gear on gtn because he ran 1 million slicing missions and had the credits...they need to be able to play through content.

To the next argument above: resources are not limited...want to prove it? Ok...pick up grade 1 resources on coruscant or dk and wait for them to respawn. If they don't you win, if they do, then I win...want to bet me your nest egg who is right?

Furthermore, if someone wants to lowball to sell it quick...a flipper helps them get their credits faster AND maintain market integrity. Let me ask you all in favor of manipulating the gtn against the marketeers...when was the last time you saw a grocery item get cheaper? Has a loaf of bread gotten any less expensive or more expensive over time? I have NEVER seen it decrease...because markets don't work that way.

The next issue you point out: gathering your own materials...let me say this: I will chase down mats where I can...but I want to PLAY the game...and gathering all the mats to craft everything is not time efficient...you would literally spend ALL your time doing it. Companies in the real world don't bother with it either...it isn't efficient to invest so heavily when you can make a profit, and create more jobs, by allowing people to specialise in building things other companies will use. However, your false justification for negative market manipulation is no different than an entity like the NYSE conspiring to short all the stocks on the market. The SEC would crack down on them and close the exchange...so how can you try to justify a negative manipulation when it isn't any more ethical than what you're accusing flippers of doing? At least they are playing by the rules...you're trying to move the goalposts because you think that you're at a disadvantage.

Everything you're saying here is just a veiled argument to justify demanding a price point for yourself. And like several other opponents to the idea of this thread, you're only enumerating self-serving logic and avoiding the entire topic of business ethics.

Your argument is perfectly understandable... you see people undercutting your prices and it upsets you because then yours won't sell as quickly. In order to get yours sold, you'd have to undercut their price and take a substantial decrease in profits, which makes you even more upset. Not only that, they seem to have potentially put much more time into their crafting by harvesting the materials themselves, thus making the same profit on an item as you but all the while charging a lower price, which makes you even further upset.

You're just upset by actual competition ...

First read Milton Friedman...then look here: http://end.wikipedia.org/wiki/business_ethics

Try to tell me what you're proposing has ANY contrivance from business ethics. Furthermore...ethical businesses have an inherent fiduciary duty to make the absolute most money legally possible to the benefit of the shareholders or proprietors, above and beyond that your argument is lost. They actually quote Milton Friedman in the article as stating almost exactly what I said verbatim.

Now to the nonsense that answers nothing I brought up.

Everything you're saying here is just a veiled argument to justify demanding a price point for yourself. And like several other opponents to the idea of this thread, you're only enumerating self-serving logic and avoiding the entire topic of business ethics.

Your argument is perfectly understandable... you see people undercutting your prices and it upsets you because then yours won't sell as quickly. In order to get yours sold, you'd have to undercut their price and take a substantial decrease in profits, which makes you even more upset. Not only that, they seem to have potentially put much more time into their crafting by harvesting the materials themselves, thus making the same profit on an item as you but all the while charging a lower price, which makes you even further upset.

You're just upset by actual competition ...

You didn't read a word I wrote did you?

Business ethics encourage competition...but companies operating at a loss to gain market share will stop or go out of business at some point. Under your system there is no capital limitation on this...so you will, in effect, drive out the crafters, eliminating competition and raising prices because of limited supply with the same demand.

Business ethics also highly discourage market manipulation en masse. That is not what's occurring...because no one can buy EVERY item listed to relist.

Further, business ethics do not encourage conspiring to drive prices down as that is called MARKET MANIPULATION...see above...instituting a BoP on items sold will drive up prices by eliminating supply which is counter intuitive to your desire.

You know little about economics or business ethics, huh?

Edited by planet_J

If some one posts Supreme Inquisitor Robes for 10k on the GTN you can bet your *** I'm gonna buy it and flip it for 1.5 million and frankly I don't give a #$%^ how you feel about it and neither does Bio-Ware. If you want something save your credits and buy it or farm it or farm the GTN. NOW QUIT YOUR QQ.

If some one posts Supreme Inquisitor Robes for 10k on the GTN you can bet your *** I'm gonna buy it and flip it for 1.5 million and frankly I don't give a #$%^ how you feel about it and neither does Bio-Ware. If you want something save your credits and buy it or farm it or farm the GTN. NOW QUIT YOUR QQ.

More people getting lost in the quest for credits. I have even repeated this part, certainly you've not read the thread carefully; there's nothing wrong with finding a low-cost item and reposting it at the higher price. The problem exists when someone is a regular crafter or gatherer of an item, and then zealously guards the GTN making sure no one has undercut their prices. The idea is that they buy up what's posted at competitive prices, all to avoid in the long-term any price competition whatsoever, and to guarantee that when someone does finally purchase their item, it's at a grossly inflated price point that most everyone would agree is an unfair price. Effectively holding hostage the market and ensuring that when someone who *really* needs the item for something, that they go ahead and purchase it at the high price... which is a blatant and calculated form of Price Gouging.

If the GTN market were guarded somewhat against such tactics, then true price competition would exist, and there wouldn't be as much overpricing, making items cheaper to craft and increasing the supply of end-point crafted goods. If you think about it objectvely, the seller should have a right to demand that the person who purchases their item will be a person who actually uses it (hence the Bind-On-Purchase checkbox in the "Sell" window for the GTN).

Like I explained in a previous post, the problems that need fixing only exist in the GTN environment, where purchasing is so highly facilitated that someone can easily buy up all price competition even if it's from 10 different sellers. And anonymously so, since very few people keep track of who might be buying up their goods. There's also no overhead whatsoever to buying up goods from 10 different sellers, as opposed to the situation where it was only 1 seller of the same quantity of goods.

Can anyone think of *any* problem with having a Bind-On-Purchase checkbox in the GTN's Sell window? Any valid problem whatsoever?

First read Milton Friedman...then look here: http://end.wikipedia.org/wiki/business_ethics

Try to tell me what you're proposing has ANY contrivance from business ethics. Furthermore...ethical businesses have an inherent fiduciary duty to make the absolute most money legally possible to the benefit of the shareholders or proprietors, above and beyond that your argument is lost. They actually quote Milton Friedman in the article as stating almost exactly what I said verbatim.

Now to the nonsense that answers nothing I brought up.

You didn't read a word I wrote did you?

Business ethics encourage competition...but companies operating at a loss to gain market share will stop or go out of business at some point. Under your system there is no capital limitation on this...so you will, in effect, drive out the crafters, eliminating competition and raising prices because of limited supply with the same demand.

Business ethics also highly discourage market manipulation en masse. That is not what's occurring...because no one can buy EVERY item listed to relist.

Further, business ethics do not encourage conspiring to drive prices down as that is called MARKET MANIPULATION...see above...instituting a BoP on items sold will drive up prices by eliminating supply which is counter intuitive to your desire.

You know little about economics or business ethics, huh?

Business ethics and fiduciary duty are non-intersecting paradigms, you have described money-making as a form of manifestation of ethics. Big, red alarms are going off upstairs, you just don't hear them because you're not in consideration of genuine ethics.

Limited supply because of genuine price competition? Surely you didn't think this through before posting, you're not even close to describing business reality. You're trying to twist perception on business reality, in order to ignore the part where sellers have a distinct un-mitigated opportunity to engage in profiteering.

You must have posted this in an awful frenzy, without pondering what is possible on the market. It's very easy for someone with a few million credits to buy up the GTN supply of 1 or more high-level resources. Some items would require more credits, others would require fewer credits. And it should be substantially obvious to anyone, that protecting GTN buyers from profiteering does not equal a conspiracy to drive down prices. How profiteeringly absurd.

A Bind-On-Purchase checkbox in the GTN Sell window would give the choice to the sellers, to make sure that their item is not grabbed up for greedy resale, and making sure that the end-point customer does not get price-gouged in order to purchase and use the item for crafting, or as their equipment. I would term this Crafter-willed Integrity. I see no problem whatsoever with creating a GTN dynamic like this via a Bind-On-Purchase checkbox in the GTN Sell window.

Taking advantage of the ignorant on the GTN is one of my favorite things to do while I wait for WZ queues.

I've sniped quite a few sweet deals. I got a Ruddy Monkey-Lizard for 500 credits which is insane but my best score ever has been a Rangehunter Pistol for 270 credits.

Wow...this thread is still alive? Its not going to happen...get over it, man.

Why so adamant? I think if BioWare looked at this issue objectively, they would agree that a Bind-On-Purchase checkbox on the GTN Sale window is a fantastic idea, for the seller to ensure integrity of how their resource or crafted item ends up used.

Seller-willed Integrity, that's what would be gained. Give just 1 reason why this doesn't seem like an excellent idea. In the real business world, no one is obligated to do business with any particular person who shows up and makes an offer on what they are selling. A seller is more than allowed to deny sales to resellers. On the GTN there are no such seller abilities as it is now, the seller ability would have to be specifically added to allow that business freedom.

Since low-pricing as a tactic to drive competitors out of business is also an unethical business practice (called Dumping)... perhaps someone can come up with a way to also prevent that on the GTN. Not that I think that should ever be seen as a problem for a gaming environment; if someone wanted to gather resources or craft items and sell them at absurdly low prices on a regular basis, I don't see how that's anything other than a form of in-game benevolence. If someone were to flat-out give away items, would you also complain? Nevertheless, it's a good idea to come up with an idea of how to prevent that from being a problem for other players who sell the same item. Not that there's any actual business that ceases to exist if dumping were practiced, but it would indeed preclude the possiblity of someone posting sales successfully, at any actual profit (if they are crafters who purchase all their crafting resources lol).

Edited by anonnn
link color of "BioWare" ended up wrong