Whats better Smuggler or Trooper?

Egniteus

In PvE Gunslinger & Commando are close enough that player skill will determin who does more DPS, haven't played a DPS Vanguard enough to talk about that & I've not played the other Smuggler AC at all.

In PvP, probably the Smuggler (both ACs) unfortunately, but despite that, Commando is still my favourite class.

IMO, both class stories suck from chapter 2...

As said in the title i would like to know which class would be better for my next character, and in general which class would be better than the other.

I don't think either one is better than the other. It is like asking: what's better orange or apple? They are both good. They are just different.

Here is a run down of what to expect.

The Trooper can either be:

• Vanguard: A Blaster Rifle wielding soldier that can specialize as either a Tank or DPS. They fight mainly in "melee" range (10-4m range) with mainly instant abilities.
  • Commando: An Assault Cannon wielding soldier that can specialize as either a Healer or DPS. They fight at long range with mostly cast abilities. They also have a Crowd Control ability that can be used in-combat to "disable" enemies for 60 seconds (lvl22).

The Smuggler can either be:

• Scoundrel: A single pistol wielding freelancer that can specialize as either a Healer or DPS. Has access to a "Cover" system that offers them protection when fighting. They have stealth. They also have 2 Crowd Control abilities: 1 that can be used out-of-combat and stealthed to "disable" non-droid enemies for 60 seconds (lvl20); 1 that can be used in-combat to "disable" droid enemies for 60 seconds (lvl12). As DPS they are very much melee range fighters.
  • Gunslinger: A dual pistol wielding freelancer that can specialize as either a DPS or DPS :). Has access to a "Cover" system that offers them protection when fighting. The have a Crowd Control ability can be used in-combat to "disable" droid enemies for 60 seconds (lvl12). As DPS they are very much ranged fighters.

Story-wise the Trooper is very much a "military story" (you follow orders and take out the Republic's enemies) while the Smuggler is more of a freelancer (out for himself, the fact that he is helping the Republic along the way is just icing on the cake :)).

My suggestion to you is: try them both. :)

In PvE Gunslinger & Commando are close enough that player skill will determin who does more DPS, haven't played a DPS Vanguard enough to talk about that & I've not played the other Smuggler AC at all.

In PvP, probably the Smuggler (both ACs) unfortunately, but despite that, Commando is still my favourite class.

IMO, both class stories suck from chapter 2...

This pretty much...I would add though that if you do a lot of solo stuff Commando DPS would be better. You can easily solo all the dailies to include the heroics other than Long Shots or Chasing the Shadow. The In-combat CC and self heal are huge over the slinger and heavy armor makes a difference too.

If you plan on healing, Sawbones is the way to go. I've healed with both classes and find healing on my scoundrel is more fun than trooper. Daily heroics are easy for the most part but Darkness on Ilum will be a bit of a challenge solo. No in-combat CC so you'll end up face tanking everything.

For PvP exactly as above unless you went Vanguard.

Put it this way:

Do you enjoy winning or losing 1v1s?

Do you enjoy cheating, lying and stealing you way to being awesome and banging everything that is the opposite gender from you, or taking orders from a cranky old woman with an oddly phat booty?

Would you rather have a nicely fleshed out class with varied abilities and PVP escape options, or have a big cannon that identifies you as an easy kill?

And last but not least...can you stand Corso Riggs?

These are the two classes I have played, and the above is my rough assessment of the current differences..

Put it this way:

Do you enjoy cheating, lying and stealing you way to being awesome and banging everything that is the opposite gender from you, or taking orders from a cranky old woman with an oddly phat booty?

Would you rather have a nicely fleshed out class with varied abilities and PVP escape options, or have a big cannon that identifies you as an easy kill?

These are the two classes I have played, and the above is my rough assessment of the current differences..

There are also quite a few other factors to consider.

Would you like to micro-manage every ability to nausea on your daily and leveling quests or just bring the pain and watch mobs fall over?

Hot British blond chick vs sarcastic goth chick with weird lips.

Awesome Armor that has tons of variety vs. Pop collar life vest or a brown trench coat.

Being the commander of an elite special forces unit or the UPS man.

Put it this way:

If you're using Corso Riggs after you get Bowdaar you're doing it wrong.

There are also quite a few other factors to consider.

Would you like to micro-manage every ability to nausea on your daily and leveling quests or just bring the pain and watch mobs fall over?

Hot British blond chick vs sarcastic goth chick with weird lips.

Awesome Armor that has tons of variety vs. Pop collar life vest or a brown trench coat.

Being the commander of an elite special forces unit or the UPS man.

WAS MAKING JOKE ><

And what is wrong with a Brown Coat? :)