The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jugg vs PT

Strombrad

I'm currently wrestling over weather to level a Juggernaut or a Power Tech for my main, I love the play of both and hope that both are decent viable tanks.

Right now, My biggest concerns are Viability, Look(of the gear at level cap,) and Story. Which would you guys recommend to some one with vast understanding of the Genre, but limited understanding of the game?

I'm currently wrestling over weather to level a Juggernaut or a Power Tech for my main, I love the play of both and hope that both are decent viable tanks.

Right now, My biggest concerns are Viability, Look(of the gear at level cap,) and Story. Which would you guys recommend to some one with vast understanding of the Genre, but limited understanding of the game?

Both are more than viable and I haven't played BH story but warrior story is the only one Ive played and I loved it. So pick which ever u like more, you can't go wrong with either

Both are Great Tanks, I have a 50 Power Tech, and a 36 Juggernaught.

Some of the biggest things that I have noticed:

* PT has better AoE Threat it seems at least at the lower levels, which makes lowere level FP's easier. Juggernaught picks up Sweeping Strikes as there second AoE Ability after Smash at around 34 I think?

(This can be handled easily if DPS uses CC and proper kill orders for the Jugger - does not always happen. Or the Jugger will have to use more Taunts and/or Tab Targeting to hit every mob every so often)

* PT has a Harpoon Pull <-> Jugger has a Force Push - depends what you like more, some pulls I would rather have over the other just because it would be easier and I am lazy.

* They both have a Leap Charge, PT's do not get this till level 30 though.

* Juggers have more Defensive CD's or at least better CD's than the PT I find. Probably does not make a big deal untill you start raiding though.

* Both are great in PvP at various roles.

* I think it mostly comes down to if you want to use a Lightsabre vs. a Blaster, Flame Thrower, Rocket Punch, Rockets, Rail Gun. I mean a Blaster is great and all, just does not have the same range as a Lightsabre :D Oh Yeah PT's can make pretty decent range tanks on certain fights.

* PT starts with a Healer companion making alot of questing easy. Jugger gets a Healer companion very early in the game so it may not matter that much. (early as in story, not necessarily your level if that makes sense.)

While leveling, a ST PT is perfectly fine. At max level, you make of of the best off tanks in Operations. Your Oil Slick (ability you get int he ST tree) compliments Darkness Assassins perfectly, and basically gives them a 90% dodge chance every time it's up. that's not to say a ST PT can't main tank, but their support is so much more valuable when running with certain Ops compositions.

The look of gear at level cap doesn't matter, because you can swap your mods into any heavy/adaptive shell you want.

BH story is pretty impressive. You're hunting bounties the first chapter, getting revenge second chapter, and working as a privateer the third chapter. A lot of fun.

I have both with end game DPS/Tanking/PvP gear. Have tanked, DPSed and played RWZ on both.

IMO the PT does everything better.

As a tank you have better AOE and more single target threat. You do more DPS in Pyro than a Vengeance Jugg for PvE. In PvP Rage Juggs are good but Pyros and Rage Marauders are better.

While leveling, a ST PT is perfectly fine. At max level, you make of of the best off tanks in Operations. Your Oil Slick (ability you get int he ST tree) compliments Darkness Assassins perfectly, and basically gives them a 90% dodge chance every time it's up. that's not to say a ST PT can't main tank, but their support is so much more valuable when running with certain Ops compositions.

BH story is pretty impressive. You're hunting bounties the first chapter, getting revenge second chapter, and working as a privateer the third chapter. A lot of fun.

Actually that happened to me doing a HM FP the other day, I was running Pyro DPS that run (normally I tank), and the Tank was letting mobs slip pass towards the Healer every other pull. So it was great being able to Taunt and/or Harpoon mobs back away from the Healer, pop a Defensive Cool Down or two and save your healer.

Will have to remember to use Oil Slick more often, thanks for the reminder, keep thinking it only saves myself.

I also think when a BH first gets their ship it is awesome.

Both are Great Tanks, I have a 50 Power Tech, and a 36 Juggernaught.

Some of the biggest things that I have noticed:

* PT has better AoE Threat it seems at least at the lower levels, which makes lowere level FP's easier. Juggernaught picks up Sweeping Strikes as there second AoE Ability after Smash at around 34 I think?

(This can be handled easily if DPS uses CC and proper kill orders for the Jugger - does not always happen. Or the Jugger will have to use more Taunts and/or Tab Targeting to hit every mob every so often)

Using CCs to fix that is not always viable - it's not an issue in most end game fights, but for EC NiM Kephess it's a big issue, at least using our current tactics during the warrior/trenchcutter stage (trenchcutter tank guards warrior tank and stands behind the walker while warrior tank and healers stand in front of it, which means all the trenchcutters will always go for the trenchcutter tank at the start while the warriors will go for the healers, where the warrior tank can pick them up - we then have one of the DPS use DFA or orbital strike on each wave of trenchcutters) - our jug tanks simply can't hold aggro on the trenchcutters when the AoE from the DPS hits, and if they don't, the DPS dies very fast. Even I struggle with it but can now manage it consistently after some experimentation with when to use what (I start with making sure to back off and charge the walker shortly before the first wave spawns and then use my 2 free flame sweeps+flamethrower on the first wave, DFA+flamethrower on the second and a grenade, flamethrower and flame sweep spam (with vent heat and TSO for heat management) on the third - at this point there's 5 warriors beating on the warrior tank (1 was killed by ranged DPS during the previous waves while waiting for trenchcutters to get to us) which really hurts, so all the DPS throw their grenades and use any remaining AoE they have here, while the healers are too busy handling the damage from the trenchcutters plus 5 warriors to deal with DPS getting aggro.

TL;DR: CCs is not always a viable way to solve Juggs AOE threat issues. It's a big problem in some cases.

* PT has a Harpoon Pull <-> Jugger has a Force Push - depends what you like more, some pulls I would rather have over the other just because it would be easier and I am lazy.

Where would you prefer a push over a pull? I certainly can't think of any boss fights where that would apply (other than Malgus in FE - but that's very easy anyway). Pull simply provides a much greater control over the final positioning, and takes less time than charge -> run trough mob -> push -> charge back.

* They both have a Leap Charge, PT's do not get this till level 30 though.

True, but the vast majority of your time will be spent over level 30.

* Juggers have more Defensive CD's or at least better CD's than the PT I find. Probably does not make a big deal untill you start raiding though.

Very true. PTs have the worst CDs of all tanks when it comes to protecting themselves (25% damage eduction VS 40% against all/25% against force+tech and 50% extra defense for a jugg or 100% immunity to force+tech/50% extra defense for a Sin), but as mentioned by others PTs have the only CD that can be applied to other people, and it's on a pretty short CD. Oh, the boss just enraged (there are many soft enrage mechanics triggered by low boss HP, so it does not just happen due to bad DPS)? NP, the Jugg or Sin tank pop their CDs and take no or almost no damage from tech/force, while having 80+% defense combined with the boss being reduced to 80% accuracy meaning that almost every m/r attack will miss too.

Juggs kind of have a similar thing with intercede, but it lowers threat so you don't really want to use it on other tanks and you have to know who will be taking the damage so the buff is applied to the right person instead of just applying a debuff to the NPC doing the damage.

* Both are great in PvP at various roles.

Definitely. PTs are awesome single target DPS with amazing burst while in pyrotech spec, but the reliance on shield and lack of CDs, which is ignored by most PVP damage and all crits, makes them bad PVP tanks. Jugg tanks work though, and they'll do very well as DPS as well although they'll be focused on AoE instead of single target. Additionally, DPS Juggs can switch over to soresu form to guard a healer without loosing too much DPS, but a pyrotech loose all his dots and railshot procs if he tries to do the same so it's an either or thing for us.

Juggs are just amazing in Huttball though, the combination of intercede and charge makes it a LOT easier to score goals and you can get up close to a enemy player that's about to receive a pass and force push them away before the ball lands to steal it - PTs on the other hand don't have any jump ability at all once we go DPS spec. Grapple is useful on the defensive though, but so is force push.

Considering stuff like the CD combo mentioned above both Juggs and Sins will benefit from being paired with a PT, and a PT+Jugg pair will get greater benefits from it than other combos - it will mean being able to apply both a 5% accuracy and a 5% damage done debuff at all times while a pair of juggs or a pair of PTs will only be able to apply 1 - Sins get both though.

All in all, I'd go for a PT - we're just as viable as any other tank in end game content, but we're much better PVE DPS and equal to the others in PVP, although our roles there will be different.