The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS Tactics Or Assault?

SQUIDWARF

In PvE at higher levels they do similar amounts of damage. Tactics is better aoe for trash mobs. Assault has the edge in single target for bosses.

But if you are just starting out you'll get more mileage out of assault. Tactics doesn't come into it's own until level 40 when you get fire pulse. Assault is good from level 10 on.

My recommendation would be to play assault until level 40. Then play around with different specs until you find what you prefer.

I went Tactics at level 10. Loving it. I feel like a master of CQB (close quarters combat). It just has a special ops feel to it. A real elite warrier, not just a big, dumb soldier with a tank gun at his hip (Commando).

I guess that's all Vanuards, but Tactics seems to have more close up abilities vs. Assault, which focuses more at range.

I haven't run tactics in quite awhile, but I will say that assault has some of the best dps out there if you can manage your ammo. There are a ton of situations in ops that require high dps burst damage on a single target and assault spec shines there. Plus, it's fairly mobile. 10 yards gets you all but one of your abilities, which means that if you have to move around, chances are you'll still be able to do a good bit of damage.

My current spec uses both and is very effective and ammo management is easy.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010zZrsMrobckZfhMrzh.2

This allows you to get away from targets relatively quickly. Remove stuns but also catch them up hold theline offers an extra boost and a few points can be swapped for example gut can be added to slow down targets or night vision scope to detect stealth.

Edited by LordZym