Best Companion to use as Annihilation?

Bird_of_Thunder

Title states it. Just wondering what companion would be best, Quinn or Jaesa?

Leave thoughts below

I prefer Quinn if I'm leveling up solo, because that allows you to take on virtually any mob 4 levels above you (except Champions). If it's a Champion, you should be able to take one that is 2 levels above you.

If you're grouped, then Jaesa or Vette for their added DPS to burn through groups of mobs super fast.

I soloed a heroic 2 one level above me with Jaesa (droid-ccing double-elite mobs.) If you order her to attack first, you split the aggro and end engagements in healthy shape. Same with Vette.

Tried Quinn for a while, but I can't get used to the slowness of healers, even with Marauder burning everybody down. I'm anti-healer for every class, basically--there's too many trash mobs in the game to slow your progress down 30% for questionable benefits. I don't mind BEING a healer, since you only use heals on companions in tough situations--but USING a healer is just boring and unnecessary, as the healers heal in every situation.

Gearing up and running with Quinn for a while, I found my survivability wasn't increased all that much (he stops healing well in tough situations where you need healing.) So I was STILL ending tough engagements with 30% life.

I'm gonna gear up Pierce the ranged tank, I think tank companion would be a good meatshield compromise between DPS and healer. But ordering Vette or Jaesa to attack first in every engagement, you get a lot of "tank" meatshield benefits already, plus DPS to burn enemies down fast.

DPS companion of course. Myself I used Jaesa (RP thing mostly, Vette might be just as good). Got her as far as Rakata gear and I hardly ever had to stop for a heal between pulls and that's even without sending her first. Between Cloak of Pain, Obfuscate and Rakata medpack, spending more than 3sec for healing was extremely rare. Not to mention, you can send your companion first, let him / her tank for a while, dismiss -> summon after a fight and they come back with full hp. Takes a second and with Quinn you would propably still be fighting cause anni aoe smells.

Right now I'm using HK with Columi mods and he packs even more "oomph" although I have to stop more often thanks to bleed heal nerf and mobs hitting harder (applies only to Section X).

Quinn is overrated. I used him only for soloing hc dailies. Plus I can't stand having him around after certain event. For everything other than Belsavis / Ilum heroics - go with DPS.

Edited by gibmachine

DPS companion of course. Myself I used Jaesa (RP thing mostly, Vette might be just as good). Got her as far as Rakata gear and I hardly ever had to stop for a heal between pulls and that's even without sending her first. Between Cloak of Pain, Obfuscate and Rakata medpack, spending more than 3sec for healing was extremely rare. Not to mention, you can send your companion first, let him / her tank for a while, dismiss -> summon after a fight and they come back with full hp. Takes a second and with Quinn you would propably still be fighting cause anni aoe smells.

Right now I'm using HK with Columi mods and he packs even more "oomph" although I have to stop more often thanks to bleed heal nerf and mobs hitting harder (applies only to Section X).

Quinn is overrated. I used him only for soloing hc dailies. Plus I can't stand having him around after certain event. For everything other than Belsavis / Ilum heroics - go with DPS.

You can just hop on/off your speeder and they will have full health.

And Quinn is hardly overrated, especially if he's geared up correctly. Quinn/Marauder combo are borderline immortal.

But it's all user preference to be honest, there is no right or wrong companion to use

Yeah... Are you sure you're using Non-Quinn as Marauder for the Posion Strat quest on Ilum because a tank pet will not be able to kill off their mob before they die (since tank pets are terrible unless they're being healed due to poor mitigation stats)? And a dps pet, if geared right, can sometimes take out a gold my themselves, but mobs such as the Jedi in the huts with their AoE is usually too much for them to out-dps.

Yeah... Are you sure you're using Non-Quinn as Marauder for the Posion Strat quest on Ilum because a tank pet will not be able to kill off their mob before they die (since tank pets are terrible unless they're being healed due to poor mitigation stats)? And a dps pet, if geared right, can sometimes take out a gold my themselves, but mobs such as the Jedi in the huts with their AoE is usually too much for them to out-dps.

I solo PS on my Marauder with Quinn, easily.

I solo PS on my Marauder with Quinn, easily.

Yeah, me too. I also do stuff like EoT by myself with just Quinn.

I was asking the guy who was saying he favored dps comps. I never prefer dps comps unless the mobs are like 10 levels lower than me or there's a healer in the group.

Yeah, me too. I also do stuff like EoT by myself with just Quinn.

I was asking the guy who was saying he favored dps comps. I never prefer dps comps unless the mobs are like 10 levels lower than me or there's a healer in the group.

ahh gotcha.

Yeah EOT solo as a Marauder w Quinn is pretty easy, the only part that gives me fits is the last part with all the mobs coming in waves lol.

To me that's the true test of a Marauder ;)

ahh gotcha.

Yeah EOT solo as a Marauder w Quinn is pretty easy, the only part that gives me fits is the last part with all the mobs coming in waves lol.

To me that's the true test of a Marauder ;)

You can cheat this by going up the ramp and around the corner. The mobs take long to get over to you and get confused. =)

You can cheat this by going up the ramp and around the corner. The mobs take long to get over to you and get confused. =)

OMG, I just used this tactic this past weekend.... 1,000x Easier! lol

Thanks for the tip.

Although I didn't go around the corner, I just stood near the top of the ramp and fought the waves of mobs as they came up.

I've always just stood over by the pipe puzzle buttons for the waves,but this way they come at a slower pace and you're not getting overwhelmed.

Tried Quinn for a while, but I can't get used to the slowness of healers, even with Marauder burning everybody down. I'm anti-healer for every class, basically--there's too many trash mobs in the game to slow your progress down 30% for questionable benefits. I don't mind BEING a healer, since you only use heals on companions in tough situations--but USING a healer is just boring and unnecessary, as the healers heal in every situation.

Try putting your healing companion on their DPS stance. It's a lot faster to steam roll through trash, use the healing stance for hard bosses and encounters.