Seriously?!?

Beaucore

Unless you have purchased IP space from ARIN yourself the IP address is owned by your ISP and is NOT personal information.

http://www.globalregulatoryenforcementlawblog.com/2011/05/articles/data-security/judge-rules-ip-address-does-not-identify-user/

I disagree with this (and yes, I see the link). I don't own my apartment, but my physical address is still personal information. An IP seems similar to this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this (and yes, I see the link). I don't own my apartment, but my physical address is still personal information. An IP seems similar to this.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. While an apartment isn't a permanent address it is in most cases a long term lease and you'll have multiple things tied to that address to you personally. An IP address is just an IP address that you are allocated from your ISP for a short period of time, common IP allocations for a dynamic service are ~1 week. This IP address is not registered to you in the public domain in anyway shape or form like an apartment address would be, the only way someone would be able to tie an IP address to an account holder is with a warrant.

This has been my experience working as a network engineer for an ISP and in information security. It's incredibly easy to find someone's IP address and the most damage they did posting it was giving others an idea of where the person lives and who their ISP is.

I have been following this thread for a while now, and in all honesty the fault does not fall on the scammer (Btw he’s got some serious balls). How dim witted can your guild be to fall for something like that? It’s like taking candy from a baby. I mean really I hear you all ranting and wanting Bioware do something about it, and why should they?! He/she didn’t really break any rules really when you think about it. How can you’re the scammer did? It sounds like most of the chat was done in the guilds respective VoIP’s. Besides that can be manipulated. Secondly how could you prove he scammed you? If you gave the scammer the rights then you gave him the rights…. Christ you people are sad just get over it and implement new guild bank protocols to protect against this kind of stuff. We need to all be friends 

Yeah, coming from the guy that has tried to impersonate me in my vent. I'm surprised you made your presence on my forum for me to call you out on. Now go ahead and report this so they will delete my forum, I know that is what you'll do saying that I'm slandering your name.

All the information I can provide to you is that a character named Senious contacted me in game about my vent info for my guild saying he was pugging a raid with 2 members of my guild later that day and had the vent info almost correct. He provided names of two members of my guild so I decided to give him the correct vent info. About 5 minutes after that he logged into my vent as "Senious" and logged off. Then about 10 minutes after that someone else logged into my vent as "[GM] Seithan]" trying to impersonate me and logged right back out. Luckily I was in vent during this time so I was able to catch this.

I decided to look at the recent log ins with vent so I could ban the "[GM] Seithan" and happened to notice that both names came from the same IP Address. Kinda odd if you ask me lol. So, long story short he was caught red handed and keeps denying it to this day and will say that hes reporting me for slandering his name as a subscriber.

All the information I can provide to you is that a character named Senious contacted me in game about my vent info for my guild saying he was pugging a raid with 2 members of my guild later that day and had the vent info almost correct. He provided names of two members of my guild so I decided to give him the correct vent info. About 5 minutes after that he logged into my vent as "Senious" and logged off. Then about 10 minutes after that someone else logged into my vent as "[GM] Seithan]" trying to impersonate me and logged right back out. Luckily I was in vent during this time so I was able to catch this.

I decided to look at the recent log ins with vent so I could ban the "[GM] Seithan" and happened to notice that both names came from the same IP Address. Kinda odd if you ask me lol. So, long story short he was caught red handed and keeps denying it to this day and will say that hes reporting me for slandering his name as a subscriber.

I do find it to be an odd set of coincidences that the name matches the name that appeared in your vent. Can you really say the person in the forums is the same as the character? I mean I have met someone on server with my character name with the exception that he has an umlat over the U. I do admit it is really suspicious.

If you have his IP can you PM me the info.