End of waves for today?

Indurin

+1

This person is wise, makes sense to me. Does anyone really think BW is out to delay thier entrance into the game? LOL

Yeah, but again, it's going to be the same situation at launch. Starting zones are going to be packed, some people are going to move ahead and some are gonna make tons of alts and keep the starting areas full, that's just how mmo's are.

Also, they should have accurate numbers on how many preorder codes were redeemed. I can't see how they could have underestimated how many people wanted in when they had the numbers right in front of them.

Edited by Indurin

Except the noob zones, like every other zone in the game, are instanced and phased.

Perhaps, but do you have inside knowledge into how they allocate loads across their servers? Most games have designated machines which handle specific zones, so when those zones are overcrowded, they lag out while other zones are fine.

But in any case, I seriously doubt Bioware is doing it just to annoy you. So what's your theory?

EDIT: I missed that you actually gave a theory earlier, but I have to say, I doubt it's just that they don't have anyone they can trust to make the call when the guy who'd normally make the decision is asleep.

Edited by tanis_

On the server screen almost 3/4 of servers are full, whats going to happen when alot of people finish work and want to play. Seems that they have completly underestimated how many people want to play?

You can't trust the notice of server population set up by BioWare. They could say a server is full at 500 players, so when it reaches 500 it pops as full. A server being shown as full is not the same as having a server at max capacity.

Yeah, but again, it's going to be the same situation at launch. Starting zones are going to be packed, some people are going to move ahead and some are gonna make tons of alts and keep the starting areas full, that's just how mmo's are.

The servers are not big enough at the end of the day. Most of them are saying full and im sure they still have more people to invite than they had done so already.

Just a guess, but I imagine as people get of of work in the US starting in about 2 1/2 hours, server numbers will jump. This will effectively create another couple of waves. I don't think they want to risk letting anyone in until they know that the newb zones are relatively clear.

You got to be kidding me :rolleyes: You really believe they are staggering the launch to wait for all the players to level up? Haha.

Every zone is instanced anyway.. There can be thousands of players in the newb zones, but they will be in different instances.

I'm curious, why limit the number of waves per day? I can understand the staggered launch, although I don't agree with it, but there seems to be no reason at all to just... stop inviting people for the day. Bioware is a huge company, and I can't imagine you don't have a team willing to work the night shift to continue these waves. Your customers want in, I doubt anyone would care if they received their invite at 3 in the morning instead of several days later. This is just my opinion, and of course you don't have to answer... just don't direct me to the early access thread again. It has nothing to do with the question i asked :)

I agree

Im sure the stoppage of new waves is due to the fact that they are waiting for peak play time, ie 6pm est to see how the servers hold up. They opened the game to a lot of people. Not everyone (I know its hard to believe) is sitting at home either playing or waiting.

The servers are not big enough at the end of the day. Most of them are saying full and im sure they still have more people to invite than they had done so already.

Yeah, but it's not like the people invited today are going to disappear tomorrow. The population levels will still be relatively the same before they start sending out waves again, there will of course be some people who can't play due to other responsibilities, but there will be several already invited who can't play today but can tomorrow.

So after reading the update, it seems all invites are done for the day. I still don't see any reason for this, so it's rather disappointing. :( It's not a good sign that Bioware is ignoring their customers on the very first day lol Edited by Indurin

You got to be kidding me :rolleyes: You really believe they are staggering the launch to wait for all the players to level up? Haha.

Every zone is instanced anyway.. There can be thousands of players in the newb zones, but they will be in different instances.

And those instances run on machines behind the scenes. If you have 10,000 players and divide them into 100 groups of 100, that actually significantly increases the amount of work being done by the server since they have to account for 100 extra phases worth of mobs. So, having lots of players in a single zone actually increases processing requirements on the server relative to having them spread out over multiple zones which have to be run if there's even 1 player in them (and probably if there are 0).

Secondly, we don't know what kind of load balancing is going on behind the scenes. If those 100 instances are dynamically split over general-purpose boxes that can run a phase from any zone, then this part is a non-issue. However, many games designate certain boxes to run certain zones, even when those zones are being phased. If this is true for TOR, then they may have one cluster being pounded by everyone on Hutta, for example, while the cluster of Ilos is relatively unused. This would only be an issue for about 2-3 weeks out of the total life of the game, and there are some benefits to doing things this way, which is why many games do.

TL;DR You don't know as much as you think you do.

Ok a quick question and i'm sure it has been answered already so please bare with me

Are they sending out the email to our SWTOR account mail or the one we set up with? Just curious and very confused??????

Should be the one you sign in with.

Hello everyone,

We understand that this topic is important to you so we'd like to invite you to take pare in the conversation on this topic that's already underway in another thread here.

In order to keep the forums tidy and discussions together this thread will be closed, feel free to carry on in the thread linked above.