So when is Unify Colors coming back?

Arodin

Maybe I have a little OCD or something, but I find it hard as hell to play the game now with my rainbow-colored characters. I expected last night's patch to fix Unify Colors, and I'm surprised and annoyed that it's still broken.

Again I have to wonder about the skill of the programmers or the quality of the code in this game. Somehow a feature that was fully implemented and working properly has become so broken now that it's apparently going to take weeks to fix it. The feature was working fine and didn't need any changes, so how in the world did they break it? You wouldn't need to edit the code in the Unify Colors system in order to add a new Warzone or new space missions to the game.

I'm sure people will jump to defend it with catch-phrases like "bugs happen" and "MMORPGs are complicated" but once a feature is implemented and working it really shouldn't be so easy to break it. Big games like SWTOR are a collection of systems that only interact with each other when they have to, and Unify Colors is a fairly stand-alone feature. It involves the game engine and the UI, and that's about it. So although the whole game is complicated, the Unify Colors system isn't. All it does is tell the engine which colors to use on the 3D models in the game. Games have been doing that for decades. It's not rocket science.

This is a feature people have specifically paid for, so getting it working it should be a high priority. It's been broken in the game for over a week. Either the project leads have decided not to have anybody working on this problem, or the programmers assigned to fix it are too busy playing Planetside 2 to get it done, because a week should have been enough time to solve a bug in this relatively simple game system. Honestly it should have taken one programmer less than a day.

Edited by Arodin

It still works IF you press the 'unify colors' button. Do not check the boxes beside the item. Press the big 'unify all' button every time you equip something new, and it WILL unify.

This is the best workaround at the moment. Easiest way to do it, use the 'Unify Colours' button to unify everything, then unequip and reequip the individual pieces that you don't want unified.

Honestly though, I think we're going to have to add Unify Colours to the list of **** that is going to be swept under the rug by BioWare (like the Whisper bug)

There are lots of "versions" of a patch which are routinely tinkered with and saved to their test and internal servers. Ultimately, only one version of the patch is released to the live servers. They could have been tinkering with something related to the unify colors feature, but ultimately decided not to include those changes in the live patch. If they didn't quite manage to revert 100% of what they had been tinkering with, that could result in bugs.

-Macheath.

There are lots of "versions" of a patch which are routinely tinkered with and saved to their test and internal servers. Ultimately, only one version of the patch is released to the live servers. They could have been tinkering with something related to the unify colors feature, but ultimately decided not to include those changes in the live patch. If they didn't quite manage to revert 100% of what they had been tinkering with, that could result in bugs.

-Macheath.

No offense, but nobody really cares why it doesn't work - it's the fact that BW manage to break so many things each patch and then instead of fixing it, they sweep it under the rug and hope everyone magically forgets about it.

it works for mine :confused:

Doesn't work for me either. Maybe it only works with certain types of outfits or something.

There are lots of "versions" of a patch which are routinely tinkered with and saved to their test and internal servers.

Why tinker with something that is already implemented and working? Don't they have something more important to do besides "tinker" with the Unify Colors feature?

And let's say they were tinkering with it and whatever they were trying to do didn't work right and they broke it... why couldn't they just revert back to the way it was before they started tinkering? They must have copies of previous builds of the game, at least the recent builds.

It just seems like people think being careless and clumsy is normal for game development, that you don't make any backups, and that programmers just randomly throw code at the game and whatever sticks is what gets released in the patch. It should be a much more organized process than that. If it was being handled properly, bugs wouldn't be appearing at random the way they do in SWTOR.

I know MMORPGs have bugs a lot, but 99% of the time the bugs are in the new content that was just released, not something that's been out for months. It would be perfectly understandable if the Ancient Hypergate WZ or the new heroic space missions had bugs, because it's new content that hasn't been "worn in" yet. It would still be annoying, but understandable. There are bugs right now with some of the Life Day items. That's understandable. It would even be understandable if other warzones or other space missions were broken, because it makes sense that some aspects of those systems were changed to accommodate the new content and those changes might have broken something in Huttball, for example. But what were they doing with Unify Colors that caused it to break, and after a knowing it was broken for over a week, why couldn't they at least revert back to the version of it that was working in a previous build? It's literally a cut and paste job --

1. Open swtor build 1.5

2. Highlight the Unify Colors code

3. Open swtor build 1.6.1

4. Paste the Unify Colors code

Problem is fixed. It looks like it will take them over a month to do what I just outlined.

Edited by Arodin