Why is BW charging subscribers for additional GTN slots?

smexymage

Every day, I sell up to 10 items out of the dozen or so I put on. If you are filling up 50 gtn slots, maybe your prices are too high. If its mats then you should stack, there is nothing more annoying to me to browse the gtn for certain level mats to find single stack items choking up the place. Pay the asking price, or sell smarter.

Guys you are totally missing the point.

BW should not be expanding the GTN via the cartel market because this risks shelling out real money which subs are already doing. Arent you worried that BW may only willing to expand core game features via the cartel market in future? People who support it only send them a very clear message - that they can get away with nickle and diming their playerbase.

Guys you are totally missing the point.

BW should not be expanding the GTN via the cartel market because this risks shelling out real money which subs are already doing. Arent you worried that BW may only willing to expand core game features via the cartel market in future? People who support it only send them a very clear message - that they can get away with nickle and diming their playerbase.

I see your point but I'll answer your question with a question.

Why should server transfers (when available) be paid and not free for subscribers?

We already know that when they eventually become available for purchase, they will be PAID transfers and not free transfers. Devs have talked about them and even moderators on the forum refer to them as paid transfers and they are usually very careful with their wording to avoid confusion.

As a paying customer, I started my X character on a server knowing that I can't move him and that when it will be a possibility to do so I'll have to pay for that with real money.

As a paying customer, I also started playing knowing that there is a predefined number of available slots on the GTN that I can use and that if I wanted to I could pay with real money for extra slots.

So my question to you is this:

How is the first one widely accepted as an MMO paid feature just because every other MMO does it and the second one is so outrageous and "OMG doom"-worthy?

tl;dr version: if you want to be angry about something, that's your prerogative. Just don't make it out to be a huge deal, when similar or even more important features are widely accepted as OK to charge for.

PS: Cartel Market's Extra GTN slots are available to buy from the GTN too, provided someone's selling them. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Edited by TheNahash

I see your point but I'll answer your question with a question.

Why should server transfers (when available) be paid and not free for subscribers?

We already know that when they eventually become available for purchase, they will be PAID transfers and not free transfers. Devs have talked about them and even moderators on the forum refer to them as paid transfers and they are usually very careful with their wording to avoid confusion.

As a paying customer, I started my X character on a server knowing that I can't move him and that when it will be a possibility to do so I'll have to pay for that with real money.

As a paying customer, I also started playing knowing that there is a predefined number of available slots on the GTN that I can use and that if I wanted to I could pay with real money for extra slots.

So my question to you is this:

How is the first one widely accepted as an MMO paid feature just because every other MMO does it and the second one is so outrageous and "OMG doom"-worthy?

tl;dr version: if you want to be angry about something, that's your prerogative. Just don't make it out to be a huge deal, when similar or even more important features are widely accepted as OK to charge for.

PS: Cartel Market's Extra GTN slots are available to buy from the GTN too, provided someone's selling them. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Server transfers are not a part of core gameplay like the GTN is. BW offered free server transfers due to the population issues. If you are on a well populated server and simply wish to move to another then that is your choice, it's not part of the daily goings on of actually playing the game, therefore they are perfectly entitled to charge for this.

Also, if you have been playing since before 1.5 then the above statement about knowing you could buy extra GTN slots with real money is wrong since it's only been implemented since F2P.

My concern is the attitude BW seems to be taking with this. If they are willing to take real money for stuff that is part of the game, and should be achievable solely with in-game activities then they wont hesitate to expand upon this and charge for other core game functions in the future.

Defend it all you want, that is also your perogative but what will you say, 6 months down the line if BW are trying to charge you real money, on top of a subscription just to add some extra inventory slots, or even new crew skills? If the community supports stuff like this, even though it may seem insignificant compared to other issues the game has, it still carries a messgae and will likely have consequences which will make it a bigger deal, down the line.

I love this game, and don't want it to turn into a money sink / pay to win, or even something just short of that. That is why I keep paying a monthly sub, to show my support.

Edited by smexymage

You are comparing apples to oranges. Server transfers are not a part of core gameplay like the GTN is. BW offered free server transfers due to the population issues. If you are on a well populated server and simply wish to move to another then that is your choice, it's not part of the daily goings on of actually playing the game, therefore they are perfectly entitled to charge for this.

No, actually I'm not comparing apples to oranges. Free transfers were offered so that players in servers with population issues would be able to enjoy the game. How is transferring my character to another server because my friends are there or because I'm not satisfied with my server, thus not enjoying the game, any different than your issue?

My point is that both of them (extra GTN slots and character transfers) are a luxury. You can play the game on a server with population issues or you can use the GTN with 50 slots per character, without trouble. If you want more slots, you can buy them. And it's not like 50 slots are 5 slots...

Also, if you have been playing since before 1.5 then the above statement about knowing you could buy extra GTN slots with real money is wrong since it's only been implemented since F2P.

My concern is the attitude BW seems to be taking with this. If they are willing to take real money for stuff that is part of the game, and should be achievable solely with in-game activities then they wont hesitate to expand upon this and charge for other core game functions in the future.

Defend it all you want, that is also your perogative but what will you say, 6 months down the line if BW are trying to charge you real money, on top of a subscription just to add some extra inventory slots, or even new crew skills? If the community supports stuff like this, even though it may seem insignificant compared to other issues the game has, it still carries a messgae and will likely have consequences which will make it a bigger deal, down the line.

I love this game, and don't want it to turn into a money sink / pay to win, or even something just short of that. That is why I keep paying a monthly sub, to show my support.

Also, if you have been playing the game since before 1.5, you only had 4 quickbars as a subscriber. Now you got 2 more for free.

it seems to me that you are not taking into account everything when expressing your concerns about the direction of the game. Why is the fact that they are charging you for extra GTN slots an example of where the game is headed and you getting extra things for free isn't?

Being a subscriber myself, if they start making me pay for everything I should be getting for free (like OPs, WZs, FPs, new daily areas etc.) I will definitely leave. Until then though, I see no point in any doomsday posts.

Edited by TheNahash

I haven't played much since FTP hit but I was on GTN and noticed a message stating I can purchase additional slots via the CM. I feel this is really unfair. Despite the fact subs get coins, BW shouldn't be controlling this feature via the CM.

Subs should be able to purchase things like this similar to how they purchase additional cargo bays or bag slots.

for crying out loud, how many slots do you need at a time man, wow is all I can say, we get like 50

The GTN is not part of the core game play as a player you do not have to use the GTN YOU CHOSE TO USE IT! It is not like they say in order to complete this game you have to bye and sell things on the GTN. I know at least on guy in the Same guild as me on Ebon hawk that does not use the GTN. And you know what he is perfectly fine with that.

I understand that you see it as a dumb move to to have them selling the extra slot on the cartel market and I get what you are talking about with. But it is no way a core feature of the game that you have to use.