Darth Maul

Talon_Starfire

These are the type of questions I love and I'll answer it with canon info with the MMO analogies:

TLDR: He was not a tank, he was just such a good melee DPS, that he out-attacked them, how do I know this? the official novelization of the Phantom Menace(not the original version, the newer one), takes you step-by-step through the fight.

Long version: Darth Maul was a Juyo combatant which means, he fought like a madman, an all out assault, usually this means, he gives no quarter for defence.

Here is the difference, he wielded a dual bladed saberstaff, which means he was also a Jar'kai combatant, he basically wielded either two sabers or one double-ended saber, because he used a double bladed lightsaber, he could attack them very easily whilst not endangering himself, it looks as if he is 'tanking' Jinn and Kenobi, but he actually isn't, he is always attacking one of them, but simultaneously knocking the other one off balance.

So he is actually the offensive player here, what makes this very confusing though, is that his opponents were both Ataru combatants, which was the acrobatic style of offensive lightsaber combat, so their defence is a good offence, they tried to tire Maul out, by forcing him to attack them all out the entire time. But they didn't count on him being a skilled enough duellist to actually analyse them and realise, that he should get rid of the young energetic one and then kill the much older and far more tired Master.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

These are the type of questions I love and I'll answer it with canon info with the MMO analogies:

TLDR: He was not a tank, he was just such a good melee DPS, that he out-attacked them, how do I know this? the official novelization of the Phantom Menace(not the original version, the newer one), takes you step-by-step through the fight.

Long version: Darth Maul was a Juyo combatant which means, he fought like a madman, an all out assault, usually this means, he gives no quarter for defence.

Here is the difference, he wielded a dual bladed saberstaff, which means he was also a Jar'kai combatant, he basically wielded either two sabers or one double-ended saber, because he used a double bladed lightsaber, he could attack them very easily whilst not endangering himself, it looks as if he is 'tanking' Jinn and Kenobi, but he actually isn't, he is always attacking one of them, but simultaneously knocking the other one off balance.

So he is actually the offensive player here, what makes this very confusing though, is that his opponents were both Ataru combatants, which was the acrobatic style of offensive lightsaber combat, so their defence is a good offence, they tried to tire Maul out, by forcing him to attack them all out the entire time. But they didn't count on him being a skilled enough duellist to actually analyse them and realise, that he should get rid of the young energetic one and then kill the much older and far more tired Master.

What spec would you say he was please?