Jedi Teachings: Defenders of the Republic?

Ventessel

Jedi Guardians are protectors of the Republic. They are introduced as the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, and when the Old Republic is unexpectedly thrust into the Clone Wars, the first people that the Senate looks to for help in combating this threat are the Jedi Knights.

Why, then, do so many Jedi fall to the Dark Side when they go to war? It seems that every time Jedi start running around and fighting, it places such a strain on their Jedi Code that inevitably some of them break and the Dark Side takes over. This was the case with the Jedi Exile during the Mandalorian Wars, and was part of the argument of Masters like Vrook Lamar against the Jedi taking part in that conflict.

Is the Jedi Code so fragile that it cannot withstand the emotional pressures of war? Why is it that the Jedi are tasked with defending the Republic, but so often withdraw from battle and seek to meditate on the problems without having to fight? Is their first obligation to the Republic, or to themselves and their Jedi Code? Are they selfless protectors of the galaxy who are expected to give their lives in the defense of freedom and justice, or strange monks who remain in their temples and dispense cryptic wisdom, only fighting when they perceive the influence of the Sith?

I'm throwing the doors wide open here, looking to discuss the nature of the Jedi Code and what their Order is intended to accomplish, as well as the particularly strange threat that open battle seems to pose to Jedi in regards to the Dark Side.

I was under the impression that the Exile was exiled as a result of her connection to the Force being severed in a way that created a 'wound' in the Force. Being unaware of what happened to herself the council decided to exile her with the reason they gave being for her going to war against their instruction...

I wasn't aware of her falling to the dark side in any sence, afterall didn't she willingly go back to the council for punishment?