Random FPS Stutter with Shadows On?

AdamChattaway

Yea so if i play the game with shadows on in quite a few areas the game will stutter and slowdown and even go as far as making camera rotation laggy even though i have anywhere from 50 to 112 fps, it has done this since beta and still no fix so am wondering if anyone has found a fix for this? it seems to happen less if i turn off AA and AF completely, weird...

I'm using an I5 3570K at 4.2 GHZ, 12gig DDR3 ram and an ATI 6970 with latest drivers.

Edited by AdamChattaway

You may want to get some help from people who have more tech knowledge, but shadows are renowned for this problem (not just in swtor, but all games). If I have problems caused by graphics, shadows are the first thing I turn off. You won't miss them and your game will run smoother, it's not a losing situation.

You may want to get some help from people who have more tech knowledge, but shadows are renowned for this problem (not just in swtor, but all games). If I have problems caused by graphics, shadows are the first thing I turn off. You won't miss them and your game will run smoother, it's not a losing situation.

I really like shadows in games though and no other game i have this issue not even on far cry 3 lol and we all know how that is... just this game i have this issue. other games it may lower fps a lot or a bit but here its a stutter not related to fps

You won't miss them and your game will run smoother, it's not a losing situation.

Of course it's a loose situtation. Turning off shadows makes this rather mediocre looking game look even worse.

Also @ OP: It's not a shadow problem. It's Crossfire problem. Turn off Crossfire in CCC. Make a custom profile for SWTOR. You will loose some FPS but the stuttering should stop or occur much less at worst case scenario.

It's an issue introduced by Bioware in patch 1.4 that has still not been fixed to this day.

Edited by Rogoo

Of course it's a loose situtation. Turning off shadows makes this rather mediocre looking game look even worse.

Also @ OP: It's not a shadow problem. It's Crossfire problem. Turn off Crossfire in CCC. Make a custom profile for SWTOR. You will loose some FPS but the stuttering should stop or occur much less at worst case scenario.

It's an issue introduced by Bioware in patch 1.4 that has still not been fixed to this day.

You mean lose, not loose.

Naturally perspective is relevant and mine is different to yours. I have turned off shadows in many games and didn't notice any detriment in graphical quality. The OP has already said his performance is improved when shadows are off so the solution is a given to be honest.

You mean lose, not loose.

Naturally perspective is relevant and mine is different to yours. I have turned off shadows in many games and didn't notice any detriment in graphical quality. The OP has already said his performance is improved when shadows are off so the solution is a given to be honest.

Shadow splay a big part in immersion, seeing a canyon cast a shadow over the whole area and have it dark rather then bloom lit is a big difference, seeing walls and objects cast shadows and people as they walk, i do notice this very much.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4657/screenshot2012120816583.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4599/screenshot2012120816581.jpg

Edited by AdamChattaway

I'm using 1 gfx card not 2 and crossfire.

Keep shadow on low with medium AA-Af should do the trick,shadow are very demanding for gfx card,even top of the line card can struggle at time when there are too many shadow at once,lowering the AA make them less beautoful with their jagged edge but at least they still show and allow for playable fps.

Higher resolution,higher shadow detail and higher AA is the best combo for lag and stuttering

Also try the different AA options for you're cards,some card work better with some settings and other with others.

Some people can't get their crossfire to work while i can as long as i use MSAA instead of adaptative or supersample