New graphics card

bobbyans

Im looking to buy a new graphics card but i really have no clue about these things and was looking some advice.

cards im looking at are

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-amd-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-pci-e-graphics-card-2-gb-15694901-pdt.html

or

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/evga-nvidia-geforce-650ti-ssc-pci-e-graphics-card-1-gb-19338688-pdt.html

I would like to play the game on high settings would any of these cards be capable of this?

I would go with the AMD Radeon one, more memory is something that has become very crucial these days, also if everything else in your rig as good you should be fine, I got a AMD Radeon 6870 and together with the rest of my rig I never dip below 60fps

It's important to remember that the graphics card is only one part of the machine, you also need good processors, a good OS, good memory etc etc, a lot of people just upgrade their graphics card and wonder why their machine still stutter

Edited by SNCommand

Firstly PC world prices are not very good

Personally if you can stretch £20 more go for this 7850

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+AMD/Radeon+HD+7850/ARIANET+Radeon+HD+7850+2048MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+%2B+FREE+Games%21+?productId=51340

The picture isnt what you get, I myself got a powercolor 7850 and my friend got a msi twin frozr 2 7850.

7850 is a beast of on overclocker , it uses little power and runs very cool. A single card can max this game and pretty much all games that came this year depending on your resolution.

My first 7850 i over clocked to 1200mhz core without voltage tweak an it ran stable. 35c idle 60c load.

Im now running 2 of these in crossfire an i smash games.

First check your computers power supply, seen a lot of people mess up there, and buy a card that their current power supply cann't handle, unless you have a high end custom built rig odds are your power supply is 35 to 400 watts, The AMD Radeon you have listed takes a min 500 watt to run it, so you need to keep that in mind of adding the cost of a high power supply into your plans

Sorry i prolly should have posted my system stats in first post.

i built this pc a few years ago {not with any knowledge i just bought and stuck bits in}

Windows 7 64 bit

Pentium Dualcore E5700 3.00ghz processor

4 gig ram

cooler master 600w power supply

my current card is geforce 8800GTS

If you actually want to compare the abilities of those two cards, rather than the loudess of the fans for the two companies that make them, the nVidia 650 is the more capable card for single-monitor systems.

Yeah, the 7850 is better. But if we're going to be fair, then we should bump up the nVidia to the next higher level, too, and the nVidia 660 Ti still beats the 7850 at most things for single display systems.

I don't care about companies and I doubt you do either.

For the cards you mentioned, the 650 Ti is slightly better, but to be honest, you probably won't notice the difference. If you want to listen to the AMD fans, then the nVidia 660 Ti is still slightly better, and again you won't notice the difference between them. And they'll cost more than the 7770 and 650.... and I don't know that you'll notice the difference between any of the four of them.

....now, back to our GPU flag waving and boasting about our favorite teams....

My suggestion, do your homework on the products before making a purchase. You will be getting a lot of subjective opinions when it comes to responses. Look at the benchmarks for all of them to help you decide. Then, read up on the pro's and con's of each one you are considering. Next, see what you can get as far as the most bang for your buck.

Here is a link to the benchmarks so you can get a good idea to where each one stands. Just a side note, look at warranties as well. EVGA has a long standing history of having some of the best warranty policies for any of their products.

Hope it helps and good luck with the purchase.

i have both nvidia an amd pcs i like them both

I prefer AMD this year due to overclocking and guy who said said 650 better then 7850? Maybe completey stock ref cards it does

OC a 7850 an it will beat a 680gtx ref so ya

Back to 1gb vs 2gb I would personally get 2gb as its more "future" proof as more n more games are using more memory. Just look at BF3.

Im looking to buy a new graphics card but i really have no clue about these things and was looking some advice.

Check out reviews, some with card vs card performance comparisons, from Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Graphics-Cards,4).

And/or their summary of graphic cards by price (U.S. Dollars):

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2012

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Good hunting.