Advice on a budget card

Grendel_Prime

My son and I both play SWTOR but his is laggy because of the video card so we may get him a new one for Christmas but money is tight (yay for burst pipes) so my question is...

How does a AMD Radeon HD A6450 measure up? It doesn't have to be stellar, just better than 14FPS would be nice:) I can get one at Future Shop for $74.99 which is pretty much the top of my budget for individual gifts. Just wondering if its worth it as I'm not 100% computer savvy.

A major thing to be wary of is buying PC parts from Futureshop/bestbuy. The do not have fair prices 95% of the time. For that same price you could get a 6670 which would be decent enough for lower settings in SWTOR. The 6470 wouldn't cut it. Have a look at ncix or newegg.ca if you're in Canada.

As a price comparison for them NCIX has a 6470 on sale for $20.99 right now, so they have way nicer prices.

My son and I both play SWTOR but his is laggy because of the video card so we may get him a new one for Christmas but money is tight (yay for burst pipes) so my question is...

How does a AMD Radeon HD A6450 measure up? It doesn't have to be stellar, just better than 14FPS would be nice:) I can get one at Future Shop for $74.99 which is pretty much the top of my budget for individual gifts. Just wondering if its worth it as I'm not 100% computer savvy.

My desktop runs the game at a fairly healthy framerate on an old Radeon HD 4650 I pieced together out of spare parts. It doesn't take much. Newegg has a Nvidia Geforce GTX550Ti for about $120 that looks like it would OWN this game.

I would advise checking your computer if it has the correct power cords and card slot as well, wouldn't be nice to get your son's hopes up just to crush them.

We're good for this. We just upgraded last year, motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU. The video card just gave up the ghost so we're looking for a good replacement. We were both running 8800GT previously.

My desktop runs the game at a fairly healthy framerate on an old Radeon HD 4650 I pieced together out of spare parts. It doesn't take much. Newegg has a Nvidia Geforce GTX550Ti for about $120 that looks like it would OWN this game.

I own this card as well and it works well in every game I have played, for the price i would suggest this one as its a solid card. I've had it almost a year now ( christmas present for myself last year xD ) and it hasn't slowed at all, plus you can hook up dual monitors which is ****** and extremely helpful imo.