The lag is intolerable!

StrikerMatt

For roughly a month now, the lag in this game has been really frustrating. I dont know what changed, but there has been a marked difference in behavior. Bioware needs to take this to heart -- I'm talking about a regression in game quality.

I've been playing SWTOR since launch day, and I really love the pvp. I have an elite warlord assassin, along with some other alts. All told, I've probably played around three thousand warzone matches. These days, I'm the guildmaster for <Full Resolve>, one of the top pvp guilds on The Harbinger. I like to play ranked because it is the venue for me and my guild to exhibit the highest level of strategy, tactics, and execution. I even record most of our games and post the videos to youtube.

But lately, the game has changed. I'm no longer winning or losing games based on whether or not I can apply my knowledge of the game better than my opponent. For example, it's not enough for me to mentally track my opponent's usage of key abilities like stunbreak, undying rage, force shroud, or unstoppable. Now, in addition, I also have to hope that what I see on my screen isn't a lie, and that my precisely-timed actions actually execute when I perform them. This isn't the game that I love. This game does not make me want to come back and play every day.

At this point, I've lost all motivation to play ranked warzones anymore. The lag prevents me from playing the game the way it was meant to be played, and I can't stand to see such tarnish on the game I've enjoyed so much.

Here are a couple examples in video:

-- Watch closely the duel beginning at 0:45. At 0:55, the shadow uses force cloak. Then at 1:12, he disappears again while still attacking. There's also a sharp stutter at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqbuwUH_p_g -- Watch the sage at 9:57 ehibiting the behavior where he repeatedly falls on his face and warps around.

If it helps, I can compile more video evidence, but I'm hoping this post gets the point across. These types of behavior are not rare. Please Bioware, spend some time investigating the root of these lag issues. Restore the game's playability to where it was around a month ago.

My lag issues are preventing any real pvp or pve play of decent caliber.

I just cant trust my server connectivity to enjoy high level play.

15 seconds of red barred freeze on screen pretty much ruins any chance at competitive gameplay, since you cant trust that what you see on screen is in sync with real time.

So, I have a guild that cant use me for raid fill ins, or pvp spots for ranked, and I cant spec heals or tank at all, lest I let my teammates down through lag related deaths.

Nothing so frustrating as a healer then seeing the red bar spike, not being in control for 10-15 secs, then coming back in control when your heal target is on 5% life and you have one GCD (if you are fast) to save them.

The frustrating thing is this is 100% on their end- all my drivers are updated, my hardware is all fairly cutting edge, I have tons of RAM, I played since early beta with no issues up until 1.3-1.4 patches. There is nothing left for me to try to fix this issue outside of buying a new video card or something, which is truly not needed- my card runs everything else perfectly on highest settings.

Nothing else matters is the game doent play well. New content should be secondary to gameplay. Without the foundation, building more on top is just wasting time and effort.

Fix your engine. fix your memory leakage. Then put out more content.

I was originally gonna be a jerk and say get a better computer but I read your whole post. I have to agree, I been noticing some sketchy things too. I was tank-vanguard during a huttball and leaped into a guy standing on the ledge. I was "stuck" for a few seconds, everyone on my screen froze, and then magically ended up on the catwalk up top. I quickly looked around and didn't see any PTs/VG who could have harpooned me, or a sin/shadow who coulda pulled me to him. I'm not exactly sure what happened but I was just meters from the goal line and ended up so far away and ended up getting killed. Usually not a big deal but that cost us the game. We lost 1-0 in that match :(. I have more examples but the OP did a good job describing everything else. Not sure what's up with this?

I have seen some crazy things happen since resubbing a month ago. All I can attribute to lag or latency issues. The most recent one was about 30 minutes ago. I was on my guardian and force pushed a merc away. I saw him fly away as I was hitting the button to leap all of a sudden he was right back in front me and stunned me. Mind you not a powertech so there was no leap or rush back. My force push of course is now on CD because I did indeed use it. Wierd stuff folks.

For what its worth, I have seen a lot of latency related issues in PVP lately, especially as a jugg leaping around a lot. Often I land 10m away from where my target was at when I lept (after a 3 sec delay). Best one was leaping to an enemy and after lag he used the lift on huttball and when I struck him I was up in the top of the dome, and then fell to my death lol.