Improve f2p/premium

shadowdream

Take a look at what Turbine does for its free to play games. Both Lord of the Rings Online, and Dungeons and Dragons Online, have a very good free to play program.

Over the time that I have been playing the game, they have likely gotten the same amount of money from me as they would have if I were subscribing (perhaps a little more even). Why? Because I don't have to worry about not being able to play the game I paid for when I am unable to afford the subscription in a particular month.

How do they do it? In LotRO's case (which would fit a little better than DDO's), each zone is purchased separately, with some available for free. Most classes are available, but those which came with expansions are purchasable. Cosmetics, some classes, zones, consumables, emotes, and various things of the like are in the store. The bones of the game, however, like races, quickbars (AHEM), and skills, are in the game.

I really did want to come back and finish my class quests. I expected to have access to what I purchased. Maybe a class or two might be locked out, a few character slots less, but not near as locked down as it is now. I even would have dealt with having to unlock flashpoints. Restricting basic parts of the game like quickbars only serves to make you look money-hungry.

My suggestion is that you take a look at successful free to play games, a long, serious look. What Turbine has done with those games has breathed new life into them and into their community. The games have grown.

Looking at the route you're going with SWTOR, I don't really see how it changes anything. In order to truly play the game, you still have to be a subscriber, or pay a ridiculous amount of money for things that should be part of the game. You won't end up bringing in as much new blood, and thus new money, as you would otherwise.

• 5 months later...

I totally agree with you. I play LOTRO for nearly 2 year now - played earlier too but stopped and playing with new account now.

Yesterday I purchased the new race - cathar - and tried to change the race of my existing sith assasin.. they ask for it store coins and more than the race purchace was! (race - 600, change-792 coin). In LOTRO you can change your look FREE (ok not race but the look). (and its for in-game money)

I bought sub cos was interested in how game looks if you have it. Will see how looks premium later. But if the skill bars are removed too .... Ill laugh.

About key-mapping.. i have no idea why i cant change right-shift to select next target. (i play with arrows not wasd) so i need put to ins/0 .. which is funny cos need watch if num is on or off to select target...

Other thing.. about pvp ... why i cant have higher pvp rank than my lvl??? (lvl24 atm)

All in all SWTOR is a good game just need some change. People will pay if they like it dont ask too much money for basic things...