"Change Places", said the Mad Hatter!

chimex

What's happened since 1.4? I seem to have stumbled across a bug a few times recently, and this one crosses all classes.

Enemies "snapping back" to their original places. I'm not sure if these have been bugged out before hand, or there is lag, but what on earth is going on?!

I would be walking about, minding my own business an expecting enemies behind a "sandbag", but they are not there. I press on, continuing my journey knowing I am safe from that barricade. But alas, I am not safe, it was all a horrid trick!!!!

These enemies shoot from one end of the screen to another, ready for combat. They do not cause any aggro until they "snap back" or cause any distress. However, this is a HUGE error server side of things.

I dislike accusing others of faults, but pvp and story mobs seem fine. It seems completely the "random" mobs.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this one, seeing troops "snap back" to their original places in order to fight you. Sometimes it was as if they were chasing some other player, in story instances, this cannot be the case. What the hell is going on?????

x

They were chasing another guy. I'll try my best to explain what probably happened.

When you arggo an enemy and run from it, naturally it will chase you but, it can only chase you for a certain distance. once that distance is met the enemy does what I like to call "the rewind effect". The enemy suddenly stops and put it in reverse and high-tails it back to it's point of origin. What seems to have happened here is that another Toon ran through the area arggo'ed that enemy or group of enemies and then ran them to their max distance point thus starting the "rewind effect" and unfortunately you were either directly on their origin location or close enough to it to pull arggo.

I could be wrong but, I think thats what happened.:)

While GalexyStrong might be right, I think chimex is talking about a different problem all together.

I think the issue is where you go to fight a mob, where you see it, and it's not really there, you use an attack and get "out of range" errors. Then all of a sudden it snaps to another spot in the room. I've seen this happen a few times. Once I was grouped with someone (a JK) and they were fighting a mob that appeared a good 10meters away.After a few seconds the mob "snapped" to right next to the JK.

From other games I've played I know it's caused by a miscommunication between the client and server about positioning of mobs... especially patroling ones.

While GalexyStrong might be right, I think chimex is talking about a different problem all together.

I think the issue is where you go to fight a mob, where you see it, and it's not really there, you use an attack and get "out of range" errors. Then all of a sudden it snaps to another spot in the room. I've seen this happen a few times. Once I was grouped with someone (a JK) and they were fighting a mob that appeared a good 10meters away.After a few seconds the mob "snapped" to right next to the JK.

From other games I've played I know it's caused by a miscommunication between the client and server about positioning of mobs... especially patroling ones.

^^ This!! I have no idea what's causing it, but it does get frustrating at times lol. Thanks for the input :)

Edited by chimex

In BH heroic (repside, dunno if imps have the same), the first single mob patrolling right after the first elevator does exactly that. I force leap and land a few meters in fromt of him, sometimes he appears at me, sometimes I have to run to him... I experienced more mobs like this, but never some randoms, it is pretty much always the same ones. And not that many enemies do it, so I consider it just a bit annoying problem. If lots of mobs do it to you, there might be some problem on your side, or some connection lag, or I dunno...

I've seen this a lot.

I'll see a mob and start to attack yet it says i'm out of range then it zips about 20 feet away and runs back at me.

It happens consistently to mobs that patrol. It was happening a lot right after patch 1.1.5 or 1.2 (can't remember which) and then it seemed like a fix got patched in. Something in 1.4 caused this to re-emerge. Edited by Rygho

^^ This!! I have no idea what's causing it, but it does get frustrating at times lol. Thanks for the input :)

This is the lag that was re-introduced and happens a lot when an instance goes over it's max... So bring the map up and transfer to an other instance with less folks in.

Or a Merangue?

Edited by Bargepole

This is a bug that has been in the game, in some degree, since the game's launch. I remember encountering it during early access.

I'm really not sure if it's a server side issue, though, as a few weeks ago, while I was grouping with someone for some planet missions, I saw it happen in one fight and commented on it specifically, but the person I was grouping with was insistent she didn't see anything of the sort in that fight. Then later, grouping with the same person, she described the same issue for a fight where I was sure it didn't happen.