PVE Juggernaut tank spec/gear/rotation ?

alkhattabi

Short and dirty:

30% defense

50% shield

50% absorb

96-100% accuracy

those are the stats you want to shoot for. Doesn't matter that you can get higher or not. those are commonly accepted norms for most the hard content in this game. You can get by with less in 98% of the end game though.

Rotation: saber throw, leap, sunder, smash, scream, backhand, sunder, crushing blow. people mix those up a bit, but that gets your close to 5 stacks on your main target, and gets out your biggest threat producers. You can throw in a taunt in there if you are worried about the DPS threat.

do what you want after that. The Jugg relies more on reacting to the situation then my other tanks do, so rotation is less critical. I find the most important part of the "cycle" if you want to call it that is the first 5-7 seconds when DPS is throwing everything and you need threat fast.

Our taunts boost us 30% above the highest threat on that mob (or group of mobs) i addition to the "6 second lock" so they are helpful even if you are top threat. So you don't have to use them as "oh sht" buttons like other games. they are an effective threat generator on their own.

Short and dirty:

30% defense

50% shield

50% absorb

96-100% accuracy

those are the stats you want to shoot for. Doesn't matter that you can get higher or not. those are commonly accepted norms for most the hard content in this game. You can get by with less in 98% of the end game though.

Rotation: saber throw, leap, sunder, smash, scream, backhand, sunder, crushing blow. people mix those up a bit, but that gets your close to 5 stacks on your main target, and gets out your biggest threat producers. You can throw in a taunt in there if you are worried about the DPS threat.

do what you want after that. The Jugg relies more on reacting to the situation then my other tanks do, so rotation is less critical. I find the most important part of the "cycle" if you want to call it that is the first 5-7 seconds when DPS is throwing everything and you need threat fast.

Our taunts boost us 30% above the highest threat on that mob (or group of mobs) i addition to the "6 second lock" so they are helpful even if you are top threat. So you don't have to use them as "oh sht" buttons like other games. they are an effective threat generator on their own.

So I understand how accuracy works, but how important is it really to a Jugg tank? I have gone back and forth about this and I have seen Juggs with no accuracy on gear at all and I have seen Juggs stick with the accuracy provided on the gear.

The problem I have is that it seems like you have to sacrifice a lot in your mitigation stats to get to that 98-100% accuracy. Granted, I am in mostly BH with a few pieces of Rakata still, so I am sure that is not giving me a solid view of what my stats can be. I guess what I am seeing is that accuracy should wait until the very end game content and that mitigation stats are more important to get through the content first. Am I right in that assumption?

So I understand how accuracy works, but how important is it really to a Jugg tank? I have gone back and forth about this and I have seen Juggs with no accuracy on gear at all and I have seen Juggs stick with the accuracy provided on the gear.

The problem I have is that it seems like you have to sacrifice a lot in your mitigation stats to get to that 98-100% accuracy. Granted, I am in mostly BH with a few pieces of Rakata still, so I am sure that is not giving me a solid view of what my stats can be. I guess what I am seeing is that accuracy should wait until the very end game content and that mitigation stats are more important to get through the content first. Am I right in that assumption?

I actually agree with you on that. In all honesty, i added the accuracy because i've seen it in discussions. Will you miss more with less accuracy? yeah. but with our threat generation potential (and a borderline OP taunt system), those misses are probably barely seen, and most likely it's not worth sacrificing a ton of mitigation stats to get to it. But if someone is missing allot, and they don't want to, the benchmark is there.

Me? I think I've looked at my accuracy rating like twice my entire tank career in the game, and so far it hasn't killed me.

I actually agree with you on that. In all honesty, i added the accuracy because i've seen it in discussions. Will you miss more with less accuracy? yeah. but with our threat generation potential (and a borderline OP taunt system), those misses are probably barely seen, and most likely it's not worth sacrificing a ton of mitigation stats to get to it. But if someone is missing allot, and they don't want to, the benchmark is there.

Me? I think I've looked at my accuracy rating like twice my entire tank career in the game, and so far it hasn't killed me.

Gotcha.....pretty much the same outlook I have taken on it as well.

About accuracy - if you parse few boss fights you will see that with 91% accuracy (0 rating) you lose around 1% of your overal dps output. Second thing you will notice is that damage generates small fraction of your total threat, rest are taunts. Third thing is that as a Juggernaut you deal very little damage, so this loss is almost completely insignificant.

All those ratings can be traded for defensive ratings (Mostly, since Acc is main secondary stat on ench-s).

When your shield and absorb are about even and around 50% stack defense wherever you can.

Defense rating is Juggernauts best friend. Other tanks need more shield and absorb, you go for standard in those and try to max defense.

There is no "cap" on defense, more you stack the better, reaching optimal point is impossible due to itemization.

(My jugg is full BH/Campaign except hilt - 32,3 / 49,8 / 48,5 24700hp with rakata stim, and still planning on dropping some endurance and absorb for few dozens of defense rating (~750 at this point).

About rotation, after all recent changes on multi target I go for more or less this: Throw/tab/Charge/smash/sunder/crushing( enrage meantime)/sweeping untill end of rage => aoe taunt if there is still a lot of them => scream at something -> ravage something else and generally start helping kill things and picking stray stuff since Jugger has little to say in terms of aoe threat at this point.

On single one same stuff just skip sunder after smash and use scream and VS to burn spare rage

Edited by KVork

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.