Looking for a Reason

skiibyrd

To start, I want to say that I have put numberous hours into this game, and have been playing since launch up until a couple months ago when I let my sub run out. Its now been about 3 months since I last logged in, and decided to, in the spur of the moment, renew my sub last night. I logged on for about 2 Minutes, then logged back out after seeing some disappointing things, one of which is that no one from my Medium Sized guild was on, and none of my friends either. After further investigating I found that may of them have not logged in for numberous months either (looking at last played info).

I quit this game about 3 months ago, and started playing guild wars 2 for about a month, then quit that as well (it didnt really seem to fill this undying urge ive had for a great MMO experience, although it was a good game). I began thinking after logging in last night why I no longer play the game, and I think it mostly comes down to one thing... a lack of content.

I found out after speaking to my GM that, the lack of new content is what is making most of the people I knew (In game) and played with let their subs run out . This game is great, and has an amazing story, and so much potential, but making the game F2P in my opinion is not going to correct the masses of people that have left, or are leaving the game. My main question here is, was the new content package enough to keep long time players stay, or is it still not enough? It seems like simple things like the Rakgoul Plague could keep the game fresh and interesting, while not having to release HUGE content patches, and keeping us occupied longer between the big content releases, but they arent doing it anymore. Now keep in mind I have not played in awhile, so I dont know if they have been doing things like this, but after playing GW2 it seems like SWTOR is missing a big piece of what makes some MMO's Instant hits... Random Events, things randomly happening in your everyday routine.

The biggest part that I personally, first and foremost, think made this fail is a horrible, or lack of, open world PvP.

I really hope that Bioware makes some big changes to this (Although its highly unlikely), because even as a F2P game, I dont see people staying too long if they dont make some major changes to the way things are. Im tired of feeling "Safe" everywhere I go, because im on "my" version of the planet/fleet, my toon is a bad ***, strong marauder, why can I not have a Bounty on my head, and have bounty hunters after me, or have the threat of my mission being comprimised because I now have Jedi on my tail. The point is, they need to make you feel like you never know whats going to happen next, it keeps people interested, and more content can easily fix this, my opinion is.... they should maybe make it F2P, release some minor content patches for this game, and Work on a Huge Expansion pack where they make some major overhauls, and make this "Beta" (As so many people call it) a final product.

There, I know this is a lot, and may seem like a rant to some people, but honestly this game has so much potential, its sad to see it slowly die within its first year.

Edited by skiibyrd

The game is not dying, the whole population is stable now. I understand why you don't have any motivation to play after logging in and not seeing any guildmates/friends online though.

My suggestion is find a new guild, roll alts . You will find many improvement things during leveling your new alts compare to before.

Things that you will see in future patches : new wz,new fp, new op,new planet, wolrd pvp (they're working it), continue story, codex entry/achievement , space project , quality of life stuffs, ...

Choose to sub if you like those above,

For the FTP thing: if you read the info about it,you will see that they only make FTP option to make it more accessible for new players while rolling out new contents to keep the subs. They still want their core as subs based.

I understand your concerns too. I played SWG, COH/COV, DAOC, and GW, but nothing since SWG has kept my attention like this. I'm talking SWG before SOE went and turned it into a steaming pile of dog crap. Maybe I am biased because I'm a big Star Wars geek and I loved KOTOR 1& 2 but this game is really fun because of the story line, it reminds me so much of the "choose your adventure" books I read when I was a kid. I think the F2P option is great and lets face it, most games out there now are F2P. That being said I will continue to keep a premium account and play as much as I can in between PS3 time with my kids. I agree with making alt toons and trying different classes, and maybe different species. I can't wait till they allow us to make a Bothan toon. Just because the ppl you were used to playing with don't play anymore for whatever reason doesn't mean you should quit playing. Find new ppl switch to a different server try the group finder which is great for flashpoints and planet bonuses. Good Luck and May The Force Be With You

It seems that, after a little research, they do have quite a bit of new content still planned, but it all looks like stuff that was being talked about months ago. I really hope they do realize that even the littlest patches will make a big difference. This game already has a very dedicated fanbase, and has a great base for adding additional content, its just that I feel there is too much time in between content patches. I never thought I would be one that was going to unsub due to having nothing to do, and being bored. the game as a whole is feeling too predictible at this time, even with content releases... they lay everything out almost too well, and dont thow a curve into the mix ever. The plague was the best example of this, and I would personally love to see more of this, randomly sprout up, in different ways. Just my opinion, again, my "All-Mighty, Powerful" toon really is never in any unexpected, or immediate threat.

Patience is key. Heck, I just hit my first 50, started in January. Now I have to look into raiding and warzones, because I know suck on the 50 scale level XD.

Didn't even know you could purchase Recruit gear. It's hilarious.

As for not PvP content, I'm focusing on other characters, because the stories are phenomenal.