The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hybrid tank experiment

ebenezr

First off, the build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMrrbobZMsrrobcoZb.2

I'm not going to claim awesome numbers or anything. I only PvE and it hasn't been terrible so far, keeping in mind that I made it to be more of an offensive tank (over-geared/leveled or really good healer, etc). And I won't be offended if you rip it to shreds, but I would like some feedback.

Some of my reasonings and notes: I originally had the 2 points in Quell in Prototype Cylinder Ventilation, figuring if you were raid offtanking, you could switch between cylinders. But I figured the interrupt was pretty mean in its own right. The main thing I've noticed different between this and other hybrids is i opted out of Jet Charge and the obligatory free flame sweep. Those were fun elements of tanking as a PT, but I just wanted to try something new. As long as I have grapple, I don't really feel like I'm missing a core element to the class without JC. That may change as I test further, admittedly.

The little amount I've played around with it (don't have parsing or the gear to do it properly) the biggest issue has been heat management. My main being an operative healer, though, I was able to work around it. But it's definitely easy to blow a lot of heat fast.

Don't want to make this too long, but if someone could vet this for me and let me know what they think, I'd appreciate it. I'd even be interested in hearing from a pvp perspective, despite my not participating. Thanks for your time.

Well its your build, if you like it use it. However personally I don't really see the point of wasting so many points just to get charged gauntlets. It's a decent talent don't get me wrong, and I use it in my Tibetan Candle build, but it's not that good to warrant going high up the AP tree just for that.

The 3 points in serrated blades you have to take to get it are a complete waste, and I would personally never give up jet charge & flame surge for that.

And Retractable blade is worth it for the awesome animation....but not for its lethal DPS-increasing capabilities unfortunately. Flame Barrage while a good talent is without immolate for the guaranteed proc not reliable enough in my opinion.

Also, if your main aim is PvE tanking, why do you not pick up Oil Slick & Combust? They are very much worth it for the 3 points. Rebraced armour on the other hand I'd personally never take unless I for some reason have talent points to spare, which I never have.

If you want to PvE tank yet still have the option to do reasonable damage, I'd look at a Shieldtech/Pyrotech hybrid build if I were you.

Pick up the Bursting Flame talent, and when you want to do a bit more DPS (around 15-20% more) for example when you plan to do some dailies, you switch to your CGC.