The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Returning Vet Needs assistance

Chipmonk

Hi all,

After a long period away I've returned, boy things have change a little since I've been gone.

I would like to know a couple of things regarding the Vanguard.

1: Good PVE tank - where to place skill tree

2: Good Hybrid - Skills etc

3: Good PVP tank - same as the others.

Your help would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

Chip

I'm not really a PvPer, so I can't help you with the hybrid or tank PvP specs, but this is your default PvE tank spec. Depending on how you feel about Storm and Explosive Surge, you could drop out the 2 points in Static Surge for Brutal Impact. Beyond that, there isn't really much play within the PvE spec. Edited by Kitru

Hi all,

After a long period away I've returned, boy things have change a little since I've been gone.

I would like to know a couple of things regarding the Vanguard.

1: Good PVE tank - where to place skill tree

2: Good Hybrid - Skills etc

3: Good PVP tank - same as the others.

Your help would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

Chip

1. The above poster's spec is pretty much the standard spec for PVE. Vanguard remains an effective PVE tank when geared properly.

2. I'm not certain how long you've been gone, but Bioware has essentially killed off the Hybrid specs for Vanguards/Powertechs. Ionic accelerator requires the player to be in plasma cell, so no more parakeet build for the rail shot reset. I really miss that build :(. I've yet to find a vanguard build that matches the utility and fun I had with the Parakeet, RIP.

I was never a fan of the Iron Fist build (in my opinion full shield tech was better given the small difference in dps potential and better ammo management), but the change to the SS bonuses in the shield tree really harmed the damage potential of a spec with points heavily invested in Shield Tech and effectively killed off that "Hybrid" as well.

3. Unfortunately, Shield Tech VG's are probably the worst tanks in pvp. Their damage potential is generally negligible and defensive cool downs are somewhat lackluster. Heavy armor still carries little value in PVP as a wealth of attacks ignore it.

Aside from harpoon, peeling guarded healers or dps teammates is often difficult with the lack of an area slow or an effective mezz.

If you are still seeking to use Ion cell in pvp, I'd recommend speccing into Tactics. Although the ammo management can be a challenge, your damage output combined with tools like "Hold the Line," make for a more effective guarding partner for healers.

These are really my opinion, I hope other will contribute to help in your search for a build. Unfortunately, Bioware in essence killed off the creativity with VG/PT builds. The low activity on the VG/PT forums is a pretty good indicator of this.

Since they buffed our threat gen I personally prefered to move the points from Blaster Augs and Heavy Stock into Soldier's Endurance.

You probably already know not to bother with defensive sets in PVP. Shieldspec isn't so bad in offensive gear but if you're a utility player consider tactics or even spec assault if you just want to burn things. You'd probably enjoy it more.