The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype/Charged Gauntlets

CthulhuRyleh

I have been leveling up my bounty hunter with the advanced prototype spec so far it's great fun.

Now in the skill tree there is a very useful talent "charged gauntlets" let me repeat what it says "Damage dealt by rocket punch and retractable blade has a 25% chance to make your next rail shot an automatic critical hit" so naturally the damage from the bleed effect of retractable blade will count towards this ability to proc. I question whether this should remain as is. The main is reason is just because it doesn't make sense, sure when you rocket punch or actually stab them we can assume doing that hyper chargers your gauntlets allowing the next rail shot a crit.....it works. How would a bleed effect cause my gauntlet to hyper charge itself? I know it's a rather small point that ultimately doesn't matter but it just bugs me.

Pre-1.2, only activating the two melee moves charged your gauntlets, but it was such a lack luster talent (Spamming retractable blade is bad heat-damage ratio) since you needed Serrated Blades.

Post-1.2, the bleed does it. Why question its logical basis? This is starwars, half of it is fantasy, not sci-fi.

To the poster right above me, use RB on the target asap, for two reasons: 1. More damage from the dot, and 2. More ticks means more procs. Also, make sure to get rocket punch before rail shot, to maximize procing. Putting rail shot in the last part of your rotation is also recommended, because then you allow the full 10.5 seconds ish of ticks to proc, which is like a 225% chance theoretically lol.

Edited by Zunayson

7pts in shield tech grants ion overload. Giving rocket punch a dot for the railshot. If youre liking it. Allso for endgame pvp, combat tech has some 15% crit boost to rocket punch.

Used correctly this may grant you 100% crit on RS and very high crit% on RP.

But again this is end game BM/WH pvp.

(+ the 7pts allso grants +6% to fire and RS dmg )

Yeah, but I don't know if Ion Overload counts as "rocket punch" damage. If it is, that'd be cool. However, the small (What, like 4 or so ticks?) of POSSIBLE proc doesn't compare to 9% aim....

Steely Resolve > all else lol

I also highly recommend you do NOT do that, since you will need to run that in Ion Cell to get the benefit, and HEC is the only way to correctly play AP.

I also highly recommend you do NOT do that, since you will need to run that in Ion Cell to get the benefit, and HEC is the only way to correctly play AP.

No I completely disagree with that. Base HEC is extremely lackluster. Even the talented bonuses are not that great. 15% movement is nice but mostly overkill due to HO. The passive heat generation is potent and gives you roughly 8% more dps total. It has the added "bonus" of making the spec fairly brainless to play as managing heat becomes extremely easy.

Using CGC with 3 points in Pyrotech for the 100% proc chance on Flameburst provides a roughly 10-15% dps boost over using HEC in short fights, with the downside of being unable to maintain your rotation like you would with HEC as you will build up heat faster. It provides more burst in a short period of time, and even over a longer period of time dps will be pretty much identical to pure AP with HEC.

Alternatively, going Ion Cell means you do not loose that much DPS compared to HEC. You loose around 10% dps on long fights, only about 3-5% dps on short (pvp) fights, and you gain a 5% flat damage reduction to everything + another 10% damage reduction vs kinetic & energy. And most importantly it allows you to guard other players. Perfectly viable in PvP.

That said, I'd never ever advice people to put points into the various talent that boost Ion Cell as they are all utterly rubbish. If you do not go deep into Shieldtech only invest 8 points to get the 9% aim bonus.

Edited by LordExozone

Fully talented, HEC also gives 8% to all internal elemental. According to my mox, internal/elemental is 85% of my dps. Maybe now that only 3 stacks are needed, you don't need the extra ventiliation to max out DPS, but prior to 1.4 you could not do the full rotation more than once, twice with CDs.

Fully talented, HEC also gives 8% to all internal elemental. According to my mox, internal/elemental is 85% of my dps. Maybe now that only 3 stacks are needed, you don't need the extra ventiliation to max out DPS, but prior to 1.4 you could not do the full rotation more than once, twice with CDs.

^That would be my argument for using HEC also... internal/elemental is the foundation of AP, is it not? Sure Rail Shot is great, but it's not near the big player in AP that it is in Pyro.

While what you say is correct, if you compare the DPS of full AP with HEC, versus an AP build that uses CGC you will find DPS is nearly equal. (In my test: HEC 1980 dps, CGC 1970 dps...to compare, 8/2/31 pyrotech gave 2030 dps. Pyrotech is still our best single target dps spec) Anyhow the DPS difference between AP with HEC or CGC is so minimal there is no particular reason to take 1 cylinder over the other in PvE (though using HEC is easier)

In PvP however, you will notice a significant improvement when trying to burst people down. Again though, HEC is easier.

Edited by LordExozone

While what you say is correct, if you compare the DPS of full AP with HEC, versus an AP build that uses CGC you will find DPS is nearly equal. (In my test: HEC 1980 dps, CGC 1970 dps...to compare, 8/2/31 pyrotech gave 2030 dps. Pyrotech is still our best single target dps spec) Anyhow the DPS difference between AP with HEC or CGC is so minimal there is no particular reason to take 1 cylinder over the other in PvE (though using HEC is easier)

In PvP however, you will notice a significant improvement when trying to burst people down. Again though, HEC is easier.

So speccing AP and using CGC gives you better burst in pvp??