Question about player behavior

invertedknife

I was on Alderaan and waiting for Rough Magenta Crystal Shard to respawn. then a player run in on a speeder 3 seconds before the crystal spawns and grabs it. i was pretty upset.

do you guys think what he did was ok? i have been following the first-come first-serve rule. but he even messaged "finder's keepers' and ran off.

i want a general opinion before i report him to his guild. i am not posting any names because i don't want ot descredit any players in case i overacted.

Thank You

It is not OK. Not in my book. And it happens elsewhere too and much more often. It is a general lack of decency that is seemingly more and more common these days.

But.. unfortunately, there is no real recourse or than reporting him to his guild. And it is unlikely that, that will in and of itself will do much. After all they can hide behind the "its part of the game" or argue with you about the game mechanics. Nevertheless it could tarnish the guilds rep and may curb some of this so I would do it if for no other reason than to show your displeasure.

I personally don't mind sitting and camping with others. And that might include a right click competition when the respawn occurs. But I wouldn't do that without the tacit understanding that that is what "we" were doing. In fact, I would ask first and then come to a consensus on what "we" would do. For the Orokeet egg for example, we worked out a little schedule. Everyone got their egg with no fuss or muss.

Edited by Rafaman

Errm what possible good does such a thread do.. you cant change the fact the player got the crystal before you, there are no in game rules to have you form orderly ques around the spawn point - its simply a shoddy game mechanic that the devs have implemented.

Having such items on ridiculous respawn times like the crystals or the eggs is the whole reason that player manners are thrown out the back of the bus in the first place... the players are the ones that should be flagged after looting these rare items and unable to re-loot again either permanently or more realistically timered for "X" hours or days like most other decent MMO's do... if you can timer someone for a raid or a flashpoint there is simply no reason for not being able to timer someone on unique or rare spawns.

As for reporting him/her to their guild.. I bet they are quaking in their boots at the thought... except for the fact that the guild will likely not even know who the player is .... judging from the amount of desperado guild spamming that is rife in this game, so good luck with that one.

Only things left for you to do now are -

1 - Dust yourself off and carry on playing. you can always come back and take your chances again

2 - Camp the spawn point, log out and log back in like the plethora of others do with these items... Alderaan is a campers paradise up on the bird nest cliffs :) - sad but unfortuantely true, almost forced on the players by the devs (and they couldn't care less)

Welcome to SWTOR :eek:

Edited by Bloodstealer

i understand. I have had to good luck to have not met many jerks like this one. what upsets me is that people camp at these spots and jump in every 2 hours to pick it up. makes it impossible for honest players to gather this items.

I absolutely agree with you but its the nature of the beast when the game is designed to allow such things to prosper - the bird nests are a prime example of how poorly the rare item spawn mechanic works.. unless of course you are one of the lucky ones who have looted and now have an alarm clock set to allow you to build your GTN stockpile up. :(

It is not OK. Not in my book. And it happens elsewhere too and much more often. It is a general lack of decency that is seemingly more and more common these days.

Pretty much.

I don't do little 'revenge' ploys, either, although (unfortunately) I often do have initial "I'll get you!" inclinations. It'd be a waste of time and, quite frankly, beneath my dignity.

As simplius indicated, it is very unfortunate that developers feel it is good or appropriate to reward this kind of behavior.

I was on Alderaan and waiting for Rough Magenta Crystal Shard to respawn. then a player run in on a speeder 3 seconds before the crystal spawns and grabs it. i was pretty upset.

do you guys think what he did was ok? i have been following the first-come first-serve rule. but he even messaged "finder's keepers' and ran off.

i want a general opinion before i report him to his guild. i am not posting any names because i don't want ot descredit any players in case i overacted.

Thank You

I dont agree with what that guy did to you, but it's difficult to do about it. I would spawn camp the item you need. Its too bad you can't booby trap the item.

I absolutely agree with you but its the nature of the beast when the game is designed to allow such things to prosper - the bird nests are a prime example of how poorly the rare item spawn mechanic works.. unless of course you are one of the lucky ones who have looted and now have an alarm clock set to allow you to build your GTN stockpile up. :(

i wish. but unfortunately i don't have the luxury of that much free time :)