Augments and crystals

Przemo_No

Hello,

I have very noob questions, maybe someone knows how:

a) - to make (or find) and augmentation and then WHAT to do with it - )really - like "CTRL + key" to ADD that augment into the saber?

b). - what to do with zillion crystals I have found during Archeology (which is 400 for me). They are mostly of low level and they are blocking my inventory, but they do not seem to have any use.

If I ask my crew to "craft" something, I get a bit better level crystal but still of no use, so I RE them, and I get the same original crystal..

Do I do something wrong or it's kinda broken?

Besides: my crew can only make very few crystals or shield generators.... how come then others make all that fancy "+41 something" crystal?

I mean i do have already quite good saber, so i am asking myself is there any point of using that Artifice/crafting thing...

Thx.

Hello,

I have very noob questions, maybe someone knows how:

a) - to make (or find) and augmentation and then WHAT to do with it - )really - like "CTRL + key" to ADD that augment into the saber?

b). - what to do with zillion crystals I have found during Archeology (which is 400 for me). They are mostly of low level and they are blocking my inventory, but they do not seem to have any use.

If I ask my crew to "craft" something, I get a bit better level crystal but still of no use, so I RE them, and I get the same original crystal..

Do I do something wrong or it's kinda broken?

Besides: my crew can only make very few crystals or shield generators.... how come then others make all that fancy "+41 something" crystal?

I mean i do have already quite good saber, so i am asking myself is there any point of using that Artifice/crafting thing...

Thx.

a) Yes, to add an augment to a weapon or armor piece you use CTRL+click like any other item modification. But, the item has to have an augment slot. There are two possible ways for an item to have an augment slot:

- It was crafted by a player and they got a critical success crafting it.

- You can buy or make (with Armstech, Armormech or Synthweaving, not Artifice) an augment kit; go to a modification station; and use it to add the augment slot to an item.

b) The crystals you get with Archaeology are used to make items with Artifice or Synthweaving. If you make a crystal with Artifice, the result is different from the crystals used to make them: you can use it on a modifiable weapon to put in the color crystal slot. It will change the color of the saber or the blaster bolts, and more importantly, give it the staf buff stated by the crystal.

The main purpose of Reverse Engineering is learning the schematic for a better version of the item. Not all items can be learned - the tooltip will say the % chance of learning it, or "No research available". Getting some crystals back is a byproduct of the action.

You can learn schematics from the Artifice trainer - I guess you already know this if you raised your Artifice skill to 400. You can also learn them by Reverse Engineering, or you can get schematics as drops or buy them from the GTN. I think all craftable +41 crystals are learned from schematic drops.

I hope this helps. I recommend reading these guides:

General guide to Crafting in SWTOR: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530

Reverse Engineering guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=258426

Endgame color crystals and how to make / obtain them: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=505891

thanks a lot!

Eee.. I actually mentioned that my Archeology is 400.

Artifice I have like 17 or so.. I did not really use it seeing after first trials I am getting noting serious, so i just gave it up, and focused on looting. But at the lvl 50 i can see many have "augmented" items, then i tried to understand wassup with it and how can I augment mine.

Will read the guides for sure.

However if it turns to be lengthy/costly process that at the end boosts your stats on 5%, I 'd rather skip it.

Oops, misread. So yeah, you would have to go to the trainer, learn more schematics and raise your Artifice skill. You will see your schematics in the Artifice crafting list change color. Grey schematics do not raise your skill, so you need to make stuff from orange, yellow or green schematics. When you raise Artifice to 400 you will have access to the best schematics.

Still, crafting is really better for leveling than for endgame. Getting schematics for the really good stuff takes a lot of work - the same work that you could put into getting the same or better items with PvP or Operations. If you do not particularly enjoy crafting for its own sake, or do not plan on making alts that would benefit from you crafting some good low level gear, I think you are better having only recollection crew skills and selling the raw crystals on the GTN.

Edited by redfurry

Artifice can be very nice, since if you have a cybertech which provides the mods/armorings for orange gear the artifice will provide the 3rd item (enhancements), plus it provides color crystals (good for every class) and hilts (good for force users)

If you want to be self sufficient in supplying alts with gear go with the following:

Cybertech: mods, armorings, earpieces, grenades, droid parts, ship parts

Artifice: color crystals, hilts, enhancements, moddable lightsabers, generators, shields, focii

Biochem: medpacs, stims, implants

Armstech: barrels, moddable weapons, augments, augment kits

On my first toon i went with synthweaving but ive come to realize that i probably didnt need synthweaving for leveling so i just use my synth to create augment kits all day long and sell those.