Mar's Space Combat Tips

Bavin

Hi All - This is Mar from The Crucible Pits server.

You can view your ship's equipment by opening the character panel (default 'c' on your keyboard). Then click on the Ship tab on the bottom of the character window. This will show you your currently equipped ship items.

At Imperial Fleet in the Supplies section of the main station at Imperial Fleet you will find the ship upgrades vendor. From there you can purchase some upgrades for your ship depending on what level you are. But also, don't forget to check the auction house too! Sometimes great bargains can be had on there that will really make space combat a lot more enjoyable.

The key upgrade to most missions is the Missile magazine capacity. By default this magazine offers a compliment of only 30 missiles. At level 25 I am able to equip a magazine of 50 missiles which is nearly twice that of the grade 1 variant. This gives me considerable more leeway when choosing how and when to fire my missiles.

The second upgrade I would purchase would be shields, they offer significant damage reduction and when your lasers aren't firing your shield will recharge, which is nice because armor doesn't recharge, but shields do.

Once you've got those two you can upgrade any of the other components you like. They are all useful and enjoyable.

1 - Save Your Missiles for Mission objectives. No missiles should be spent on bonus targets until all of your mission objectives have been destroyed. Do not spend missiles on low-end fighter ships. Heavier, bigger fighters may require missiles (eg. Red Talon fighters) but a general rule of thumb is.. Save the missiles fixed positions that require accurate and decisive damage.

2 - You can get an idea where an incoming fighter is coming from by seeing where their lasers are shooting, simply move your mouse to where their beams are coming and fire the instance their ship comes into view. Republic scum tend to fly in formation, so if you learn the formations once you know where one is you will quickly memorize where the other should be.

3 - When you have a cloud of incoming republic ships simply hold down the mouse button in the middle and make a slow curlyQ, they will simply melt away into little fairy dust. Why? Because they're faeries t('-'t).

* You can barrel roll your ship at any time by hitting the space bar. This is essential. It just is. I mean seriously.. that is pure win.