The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech 1.4 Post Patch Thoughts (PVP)

Krozis

Hey folks,

I'm just curious what you guys think about your dps now that the patch has been out a few days.

I was talking to a vanguard guy I know and he claims he's still really lighting it up in the wz's.

I have decided to give up on my Mercenary due to this patch, but I still like the 'bounty hunter' as a class and playstyle. So I thought I'd ask you guys how Pyrotech (and even Advanced Prototype with the changes) is doing for you in post 1.4?

What the good? The bad? the ugly?

My PT is only lvl 35 so no endgame experience with it but ive pvp'd my way to 35 as pyro and 9/10 times i top damage and my skill level is mediocre. Still with the changes I consistently do a lot more damage as pyro than almost every other class in warzones.

That being said, I am now AP just to try it out and it owns... maybe not quite as much damage but i don't have immolate yet so i can't use the spec to its full potential.

Basically i think that PT is still one of the best pvp classes no matter if youre AP or pyro.

In the few normal wz games I've played AP was a real blast however that may or may not be largely due to the fact that I've been Pyro for so long :p. I did try AP before the 3stacks buff and now it just feels so much better having max stacks on every Flame Thrower CD basically, makes it better on the whole "I've 5 PFT I have to use them wisely" thing since now you get your stacks much faster; it also ups your damage closer to the consistency of Pyro, meaning that since you get to use max stack Flame Thrower more often you're a lot more inclined to use it to burn down single targets. It won't look as pretty at the end on the scoreboard as would be the case if you were to FT groups of people but at least you're not punished for trying to bring down a healer or high priority target.

Not to mention the extra survivability of 30% reduced AoE dmg is very nice, coupled with HO it's fun fun fun. Not convinced if I'd go AP in ranked play though; all in due time, but all in all being able to play AP and not feel meh is nice

I don't know if you guys noticed but they got rid of the shared cooldown on explosive dart and thermal detonator. Makes for some pretty nice burst.

we already noticed,

but after these nerfs,

pt is sxxx dps compared to merc in hm tfb except boss2,

also shxx dps in rwz too,

not mention that shield pt is a complete joke without healz in pvp,

BW should redesign all endgame raid to need more mdps,

science they nerf u into more melee,

yet u guys still pay them ur money,

we r done here,

our sub expired, but still can post,

now, time to quit, unless bw nerf all class into 10m, or make all boss like HM tfb 2nd,

otherwise, this game doesn't deserve any fee.

Edited by oakamp

Again this is purely for the discussion of PVP, but I would think that the changes to Pyro have not great affected the DPS of most Powertechs.

The 'true' mechanic advantages that Powertech's have over Merc's (in PVP) is that their rail shot seems to hurt more, but MOST importantly, they can proc it from two instant cast abilities: Flame Burst, and Rocket Punch.

Yes they are both close range BUT they are uninterpretable, and GOOD attacks.

Mercenary? Well to get that insta-cool down/free rail shot you gotta fire up unload. And if that didn't work? You have to resort to the nasty ability no one would use otherwise: Powershot.

Both of those are channeled abilities.

Personally I enjoy the feel of Arsenal, but now my Powertech is almost 40, and even AP is 'ok'. I mean not great, not near as bursty as Pyrotech, BUT still fun, and effective. Running around with bionics, immune to slows/knockdowns/knockbacks, is pretty cool too. The stack on Flame Thrower combined with that ability makes for some dynamic playstyle that is really lacking in Pyrotech.

If I have to choose a Merc or a Powertech for Ranked WZ's, I'm probably looking at the Powertech.... and (unfortunately) most likely hoping the PT is running Pyro even though AP seems decent.

In WZ scoring (DPS) over the past week I honestly haven't seen Powertech's effected much at all... in fact far less than I originally thought they would. (At lvl 50 warzones)

In 1.4 I switched to AP and it gives me a really nice feel. Pyro is bursty but it's heat management vitally depends on rail shot proc. And sometimes it never happens and u end up overheated. AP damage is more sustained. And some skills like 30 sec cd root/knockback immunity, overall speed increase, huge boost to flamethrower (dmg + 70% slow) Makes this spec usable in PvP.

Pyro dmg is about the same, little better heat management since I stopped using IM in normal rotation. Extra burst from ED + TD combined is nice. Range nerf vs snipers sucks, so now I just avoid 1 on 1 encounters vs geared ones. Overall 700-800K dmg in most long warzones is easily done with even cleaner rotation. I will try AP shortly, but the flamethrower mechanics are just too easily countered to be truly viable vs any decent team, especially with how resolve has been changed. I know I can barely get of a Ravage on my marauder and that is only a fraction of his damage, so channeling a flamethrower on a consistent basis is not going to happen especially with multiple targets and since AP relies too much on the damage from that ability, it will fall too far behind.

Mercenary? Well to get that insta-cool down/free rail shot you gotta fire up unload. And if that didn't work? You have to resort to the nasty ability no one would use otherwise: Powershot.

Both of those are channeled abilities.

Its actually even worse than that. Powershot is not channeled its cast. At least if Unload gets interrupted you could get one or two tics of damage off.